1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found another one. Best I have seen of the actual figure.

View attachment 214470

I'm not that computer savvy. Can someone put a red pepper in his hand like the host from the iron chef series? Or something else....

chairman_kaga_by_saraquael-d5cx5st.jpg

I was thinking in regards to other posts and not yours, but explaining in-post would've ruined my cheap joke. :lol

I think the doubters are simply in-hand holders of the Sideshow Vader. They must defend their purchase. Understandable.

But who says you can't have TWO Vaders...? One toy, one collector piece.

:D

I can feel the hate swelling in them now....

I've got the SSC ESB, and I'm very happy with it. That said, I think the HT one will be better for body, tailoring, and materials used - except the cape/robe. I think SSC is still making some of the best capes in the business.
But for me, it's a question of whether or not HT is significantly better. For the HT Vader to be so much better, that it compels one to go through the effort of selling the SSC one, and then spending even more on the HT one, is the part I'm not sure of. The SSC has it's faults, the HT one has a few faults as well. If was the SSC ANH vs this new one, to me it would be a no-brainer to trade up for the HT.

The Sideshow ESB vader goes well with my Bespin Luke , ill get the new vader to match up with the LED lighsabers in the new luke and obi kenobi

K
Hmm, these new pics show that the dome is (once again like SO many other vader collectibles, including most of sideshows various attempts) attached incorrectly. Just like both sideshow 1/6 releases, they've got the eyebrow ridge of the helmet smashed as close to the forehead of the face mask as possible and the bottom edge of the dome parallel to the bottom tube the ends in the tusk on the face mask. The end result making vader look surprised and like he has a mullet. Sideshow even tried to counteract the mullet effect on their second vader by making the flared skirt of the dome longer than it actually should be, when all they needed to do was tilt it back to a more accurate angle.

While the dome position varied from shot to shot in the movies (ESPECIALLY in ANH), it was always tilted back. And this tilt naturally results in the eyebrow area of the helmet sitting out away from the face mask a bit. Which also helps create the shadow over the eyes, making him look more sinister and not so shocked...

It's frustrating that so many collectibles get this dome tilt wrong because it is, imo, a CRUCIAL part of getting the over all look of vader down.

I will say the face mask (despite the inaccurate paint job around they eyes) looks like probably the best 1/6 sculpt to date. I'm thinking this face mask paired with sideshows V2 dome (with the skirt shortened a smidge and set at the correct angle) popped on a SS ANH vader might look totally killer! Now how much would that cost...?

There's a secondary reason his eyelids look shadowed in anh...the actual edge of the eyelids, unlike e lire and Jedi is black, like the interior of the eye sockets.
But I agree the dome has to tilt out forward a tad...

The deluxe was great and you got a lot of bang for your buck. But in terms of materials used and finishing, Hot Toys will alway be that bit better. This has sounds and flippin light up saber.

It's the same old routine around here. It's crap because of this, that or the other until it comes out and is in your hands...then it's amazing. Some folks just don't do history I guess.

I am looking forward to this one and the two other SW ANH figures I have on pre-order (Luke and Boba). Question for Eamon, I see you have The Hottoycast link on you postings. Do you know when is a new episode going to come out? It's a great podcast!!

Is this shipping early as status say shipping soon?not processing like my others

Seems unlikely since Obi-Wan was released in HK and we don't have that yet. This hasn't been released anywhere. SS is probably going to ship you their own Darth Vader and hope you don't notice.

Only way to know for sure what's up with it would be to call them. Which you should do. So you can let the rest of us know. :wink1:

I think the doubters are simply in-hand holders of the Sideshow Vader. They must defend their purchase. Understandable.

But who says you can't have TWO Vaders...? One toy, one collector piece.

:D

I can feel the hate swelling in them now....

Let me preface this by stating the fact that I have none of HT's SW offerings in hand yet, but I do believe a picture is sometimes worth a thousand words. And like others I sold my SS deluxe Vader to fund this one.

As a lot of people have said many times before, like Han, Obi-Wan, and Chewie (that is Chewie without amazing futzing skills) Vader just seems "off". Maybe I've been spoiled by the amazing results HT has produced with their marvel offerings.

It's just odd to me that if there is indeed no outside influence why HT can give me an almost perfect Robert Downey Jr. sculpt, but a seemingly easy overall helmet shape and placement proves too difficult. I mean the Stormtrooper helmet unless your eye is as trained as Jkno's looks right, right?

IMHO HT's SW line is to this point, not what I had hoped for when the announcement was first made. Are they bad looking figures, don't be crazy absolutely not, it is HT were talking about. I'm just not blown away yet. And where I just knew the likeness of Bespin Luke would be improved upon with the new releases, now I'm not so sure.

After reading what I posted it sounded as though I'm bitter, I just want to clarify I'm really not, I know it's just a toy/collectible (a very expensive one that is). I also know if I don't like it once in hand I'll just pass it on to the next person who may.

Last edited:
I had some of the same concerns about Han & Chewie and honestly, in hand, they are incredible. I'm quite happy with the Star Wars line and don't believe I'll be parting with them any of them anytime soon.

I'll probably be getting this guy, but after being really lowballed on Ebay for the Sideshow figure, I decided just to keep him and display him at work. I think he's great looking, still, even if he'll be supplanted by the HT in my case at home.

I had some of the same concerns about Han & Chewie and honestly, in hand, they are incredible. I'm quite happy with the Star Wars line and don't believe I'll be parting with them any of them anytime soon.
:lecture Exactly my thoughts!

What if HT Stormie Han or HT Bespin Han nail the likeness? It's the major thing that spooks me about ANH Han - it sure came out better than expected based on the proto (some pics look very nice,) but it's no bullseye likeness wise, and the bland expression is 180 degrees from ANH Han Solo. My Chewy's incoming but I finally decided to wait to see Han in person before grabbing him.

This Vader... it'll need a Han-type change before I'd grab it. It has never looked great in any pic since announcement, but I'm still hoping they do a tweak on the helmet.:pray:

Back