1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be highly surprised if Lucasfilm are supplying digital models. Is there any precedent for this?
I really doubt there's a conspiracy to idealise Vader going on here too. I don't see consistency anywhere with the way he is portrayed.

There is precedent with other products by Lucasfilm using the same digital file. For example, almost all figures of Finn seem to use the same sculpt no matter the size or brand making them (Ie, 6 inch black series and Disney Elite). However, I suspect that Disney/Lucasfilm do not have digital files based on props for many of the OT characters and so Hot Toys has to create their own. For this reason, armored characters from TFA look more accurate than the first versions of OT characters.

Yeah, someone with one of those expensive replica helmets should scan one and downscale it... :wink1:

Too Much Garlic was able to make one before. Really amazing work! You should check it out.

There is precedent with other products by Lucasfilm using the same digital file. For example, almost all figures of Finn seem to use the same sculpt no matter the size or brand making them (Ie, 6 inch black series and Disney Elite). However, I suspect that Disney/Lucasfilm do not have digital files based on props for many of the OT characters and so Hot Toys has to create their own. For this reason, armored characters from TFA look more accurate than the first versions of OT characters.

Here are some excepts I gathered from an article posted the other day about Hasbro's Star Wars design director. They probably get the digital scans from Lucasfilm and do post editing after.

The full article can be read here: Meet The Most Powerful Force In The Star Wars Universe: The Man Who Makes The Toys | Co.Design | business + design

"Besides creating sculptures digitally in ZBrush, The Force Awakens toys are also among the first whose design will take advantage of some of the on-set technology used to capture the film."

"What we find now is that we often have the ability [with] the way the filming is set up to have actors and props and vehicles scanned—actually scanned in three dimensions," says Evans. "If it’s a character from the movie, that actor in their costume may get scanned and then we have access to that digital information, which then helps us a lot in terms of authenticity to be able to work that sculpt and make it into a toy."

"We work in parallel with Lucasfilm: when they're making the movies, we're developing toys. It's a really fast and efficient and more accurate way of working."

Some pictures of their digital sculpts:

sculpt1.jpg

sculpt2.jpg

sculpt4.jpgsculpt4.jpg

Attachments

• sculpt3.jpg
    sculpt3.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 386
Yeah I'm not paying for this given the final product will more than likely still have flaws. I'm not usually picky with figs but Vader has to be perfect for me. To me, he is star wars.

Too Much Garlic was able to make one before. Really amazing work! You should check it out.

Yeah, I used to follow that thread, but I don't think he's posted there in a while, has he?

I think he changed his username to "Too Much Time" - it seems like his Vader project dates back at least seven years. :lol

Hope it comes to fruition though - both the Vader and stormie he has are superb and would be "never be bettered" whether HT or SSC or whoever has another shot at Vader or not.

These are two of the best pics I've seen of him...

Attachments

• bkn-20150111112657183-0111_00982_001_01p.jpg
    bkn-20150111112657183-0111_00982_001_01p.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 362
  • 11072645_10153136028952833_4205132345433107490_o.jpg
    11072645_10153136028952833_4205132345433107490_o.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 363
First one is better because it's so small. He has a grandpa pants crotch though.:lol

First one is better because it's so small.
bkn-20150111112657183-0111_00982_001_01p.jpg
He has a grandpa pants crotch though.:lol

Yea, that doesn't look good AT ALL!

I haven't looked too hard yet at this Vader because I have so much more interest in Luke, Han, Chewie, Leia, and Ben that Hot Toys is putting out and I already have Sideshow's ROTJ Vader. I like the helmet a little better on the Hot Toy's version, but I am not a Vader connoisseur that is able to pick out what details any of these figures got right or wrong compared to the various actual props; so with that said the Sideshow Vader helmet never bothered me. I'm not sure I like the gloves on the HT Vadar better than the molded gloves of Sideshow. I don't care about the breathing effect. The LED Saber is of some interest to me because I am picking up HT Ben Kenobi and this Vader might look great with him with both lightsaber's lit. So perhaps, maybe, I might consider picking this Vader up down the road to go with Kenobi.

The only other interest I might have for the figure is parts. I wonder which parts might be the most interchangeable with Sideshow's without having to do any complicated customization work to make things fit together.

Yep. The pics on the first page of this thread have me sold on this. One or two horribly displayed Vaders isn't going to change that.

The figure I saw in person at CVII looked great... it got me over the meh feeling I'd have since seeing the original photos. I think this will be the Vader to have now, but we will still see improvements when HT revisits him for a ESB or ROTJ appearance.

Yep, already looking forward to an ESB Vader and this hasn't even shipped, yet. :lol Looking forward to reactions once it's been out a week or so. Think people will soften up a bit with in-hand pics.

Yep, already looking forward to an ESB Vader and this hasn't even shipped, yet. :lol Looking forward to reactions once it's been out a week or so. Think people will soften up a bit with in-hand pics.

They always do... I have a feeling (unless there is some serious QC issue) that Vader will be very well received. For all it's faults the ANH Vader sold for close to $300 until Sideshow announced the v2.

He looks overweight in some of these photos, and the suit looks baggy. I'll wait for the ROJ version -- assuming the unmasked version resembles the onscreen actor. I guess giving him his original eyebrows is too much to hope...

Back