1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 225 - Thor: The Dark World (Thor - Light Asgardian Armor Ver.)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a big error... I thought sideshow charged 10% sales tax because it shows up on the quick calculator, and then again on the next page after you click pre-order. I didn't see the little 91000 excluded button that corrected that. I'm sure you can all understand how a reward point worth 5% of the overall purchase would seem stupid to me if they charged 10% more than anyone else. Dumb but honest mistake.

Obviously I absolutely retract my rewards points are a scam statement, and pretty much everything else;

Well, except the bits about the benefits of waiting a few months after a figures is released to buy it. I've paid almost 20% less for all my purchases this year by doing this. But this is really news to anyone I'm sure.
No worries dude. You weren't super negative and no one was negative back.

I made a big error... I thought sideshow charged 10% sales tax because it shows up on the quick calculator, and then again on the next page after you click pre-order. I didn't see the little 91000 excluded button that corrected that. I'm sure you can all understand how a reward point worth 5% of the overall purchase would seem stupid to me if they charged 10% more than anyone else. Dumb but honest mistake.

Obviously I absolutely retract my rewards points are a scam statement, and pretty much everything else;

Well, except the bits about the benefits of waiting a few months after a figures is released to buy it. I've paid almost 20% less for all my purchases this year by doing this. But this is really news to anyone I'm sure.

Well we in California do get charged 9% sales tax. Buying from sideshow only has two benefits for us in CA and the rewards points isn't one of them. The advantages are 1) payment plans and 2) ease of replacements with QC issues. I buy from sideshow when there is an exclusive or I want to use a payment plan, and being able to get replacements directly cuts out a middle man, and usually there is an issue I can live with but get a small refund for which more than covers the cost of the tax, so the rewards points become a plus at that point.

But others, you were originally correct that for some of us, buying a $220 figure from sideshow for rewards points makes no sense, when after shipping and tax that figure costs us $250 here in CA, versus it costing $230-235 from BBST (assuming the retail price is the same), so getting the $12 in rewards points from sideshow doesn't cover to gap in cost due to sales tax.

No worries dude. You weren't super negative and no one was negative back.

:exactly: :goodpost: :hi5:

Yeah scam was a harsh word. Its more a go to market strategy. Most dealers will get to sell Hot toys at a discount of up to 8% now. Sideshow is giving the equivalency of a 5% reward. However the "scam" or slight of hand you are referring to is that the Sideshow discount is a perpetuity and will never be a fully realized benefit. Since you are required to purchase another figure before you receive the discount, Sideshow will end up being at least the last figure purchased worth of rewards more expensive plus the 8% discount differential. On a 10 figure lot, you would save about $187.50 back of the envelope on the calculation. Differences in shipping could possibly get you to one extra figure for every 10 purchased buying from a 3rd party dealer.

Overall, based on the calculation the dealers are 7.5% below the Sideshow price on average.
Again the benefits are customer service and getting the figure earlier.

A quick 10 figure lot example @$250 per assuming shipping is the same (which it never is)

Sideshow: $2,500 figure cost + ($125) rewards @5% per + $12.50 last figure reward + $100 pack out charge @$10 per= $2,487.50

Dealer at 8% discount (BBTS for example): $2,300

Difference is $2,487.50 - $2,300 = $187.50 in the black by purchasing from dealer

Interesting, for those who use Sideshow and don't use the pack out option it's $2,387.50 - $2,300 = $87.50

I know I didn't get packs outs for the first 2 years I went through Sideshow, never had a problem thankfully but I decided to stop testing my good luck. :lol

:exactly: :goodpost: :hi5:

Interesting, for those who use Sideshow and don't use the pack out option it's $2,387.50 - $2,300 = $87.50

I know I didn't get packs outs for the first 2 years I went through Sideshow, never had a problem thankfully but I decided to stop testing my good luck. :lol
So when you turn that feature on, is it from then on out? Or do you need to do it per order?

So when you turn that feature on, is it from then on out? Or do you need to do it per order?

You have to call and make a request. You can choose to do it for a single order or have it automatic for all future orders. I'm sure you can call and have it removed as well.

I don't get how using a reward point, that is given absolutely free, makes things cost more? And from my looking around the cost at sideshow versus most other sellers are within 3-5% max. Usually a dollar or two different, or exact the same or even cheaper.

So if I spend srp on three or five figures, costing me nothing extra, I then am rewarded say 100-150 dollars in rewards(all rough numbers, exact amounts vary based on specific figures) and I apply that to my next figure, dropping the cost down by 100-150 dollars, this effectively taking that amount off as a reward for repeated customer business.

I just don't see how I was then scammed. If I saw a figure elsewhere was significantly cheaper I'd buy there. But I have yet to see a newly or upcoming released figure price difference between sideshow and anyone else being more then a few dollars. And I've yet to see anyone else give me like 10-50 dollars in rewards that I can then use on future items. But, I guess your right...I'm getting scammed by all that free money! The nerve of those people!

In reality I'm betting you didn't completly understand how the rewards work...

You replied to my statement, I'm assuming by mistake, as I never said using Rewards makes things more expensive. I was agreeing with the poster that suggested that Rewards Points are a bit misleading (well, he said "scam", which is overly harsh).
Sure, now that most retailers sell Hot Toys figures at the same price as Sideshow (which I'm willing to bet was strongly suggested by SSC, the US distributor), there isn't much of a difference in initial price. And yes, the Flex Pay option is convenient for the higher priced figures or sets (Batmobiles, Gantry, etc). But your statement that buying 3-5 figures at SRP gives you $100-150 in Rewards is blatantly incorrect. At an average cost of $250 per figure, you would see a return of $62.50 in Rewards, usable 40 days after the items ship. Thats great, but since I have to pay a $10 surcharge to get my figures adequately packed, I'll only realize about $12.50 Reward net. Yes, I could eschew the pack-out, and take my chances that UPS will handle my shipper box delicately all the way from the West Coast to the East Coast, but given the number of punctured boxes I received before going with the pack-out, the odds would be against me.
Now, if I order from, say, Alter Ego Comics, I also receive Rewards, but I don't have to pay extra for adequate packing, and personally, since they're closer to me geographically I'll pay less in initial shipping as well. I'll get my figures a few weeks later, but I can wait. With exclusives, obviously, I have no other choice. And honestly, BBTS is so awesome when it comes to packing and customer service, if they added a Rewards program I'd never order from anyone else.

So yes, I understand completely how Rewards Points work. Given your estimate of $100-150 in Rewards for purchasing 3-5 figures, however, it is clear that you do not.

You get 5% back so if you bought a $250 figure you would get 12.50 in rewards. 3 figures x 12.50 is $37.50 not 60 bucks and if pay 10 for pack out your net is only $2.50 per figure for a total of $7.50, not $12.50.

It appears you used 5 figures not 3 so yes 1250 total at 5% is 62.50 and 12.50 is the net!!. 3-5 in your response made it unclear. Pack out kills the deal.

Last edited:
Yes, I was using 5 figures in my calculations, Motuxmen originally stated that buying 3-5 figures would net him $100-150 in Rewards from SSC, so I was trying to illustrate that even using the higher number wouldn't get you close to that $ amount in Rewards.
Hey, I appreciate the Rewards, and I use them gladly, they just aren't quite the windfall some believe.

Yeah, IMO pack out is truly a waste of $$$, as I personally couldn't care less about the box to begin with. I actually recycle all of them, and keep the accessories someplace else.

Yeah, IMO pack out is truly a waste of $$$, as I personally couldn't care less about the box to begin with. I actually recycle all of them, and keep the accessories someplace else.

Interesting, even the figure boxes, they have good art sometimes, and Thor's TDW box is the best I've ever seen

I prefer to keep all of the packaging including the shipping box. I personally don't care about the shipping box as is, but I do like that it protects the packing box the figure comes in. Thats where some of the value lies; the art box, the figure, the accessories. The shipping box just keeps it in better shape, is all.

I prefer to keep all of the packaging including the shipping box. I personally don't care about the shipping box as is, but I do like that it protects the packing box the figure comes in. Thats where some of the value lies; the art box, the figure, the accessories. The shipping box just keeps it in better shape, is all.

Yeah hence why I want a pack out on this guy, damage to the shipper box can affect the Figure box but damage to an outer shipping box will only damage the shipper
depending on the type of damage of course

Back