1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 225 - Thor: The Dark World (Thor - Light Asgardian Armor Ver.)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those who have seen the ClipperKing video, has your opinion changed about the figures? Which one of the two do you prefer at this point?

Good question, I actually like the armored more at this point but that doesnt mean I think the Light Armor isn't just as good

For those who have seen the ClipperKing video, has your opinion changed about the figures? Which one of the two do you prefer at this point?

As of right now, I dig the light armor version more.
That's not to say the other looks bad, it's all just a matter of personal preference with these two,
head sculpt on both look identical to me.

Maybe its because I'm getting the armoured version..but I have swayed toward it as being the best version....the base is a nothing IMO.
Now SS just ship the damn thing.

It totally comes down to preference. I always wanted to buy that resident evil Chris figure to customize my avengers Thor. Never did. Waited it out and I'm getting the light armored one. The base is nice too.

Those Sideshow reward points are a scam.

So do I want to save 10-25% now or wait around and jump threw hoops for 4%. Inflation compounds this and dictates more money right now is far far better than less money later. Sorry if that seemed like a lot, but I'm really bored at work and I always chuckle when fellow collectors get excited about buying a figure solely with reward points from SS. That free figure actually cost you 2X to 5X more just over time ie. IMO reward points = Scam.

This. And then factor in $10 for a "pack-out", and you pay even more through Sideshow. The only advantages in ordering from SSC are 1) early delivery in most cases and 2) good customer service if something is damaged. BBTS has great customer service as well, though, and they don't charge anything extra for packing your figure the right way.

Best not to mention the 100's of dollars they give away on a weekly basis either. Or the free codes.

I just wanted to cash in my reward points now because I don't plan on buying from Sideshow anymore. But I guess I'll just save it for an exclusive I want that I can only get with them. I prefer BBTS or when possible secondary market if the figure goes below retail which they often do for a brief time.

Those Sideshow reward points are a scam. 20 points = $1, You get a point for every dollar of the unit price not including the tax and shipping. So you roughly get 4% of your money spent back later with these points, which they also make you jump threw hoops just to use. BBTS is usually about 10% lower than sideshow, and a Trusted ebay seller is often 20-25% lower.

So do I want to save 10-25% now or wait around and jump threw hoops for 4%. Inflation compounds this and dictates more money right now is far far better than less money later. Sorry if that seemed like a lot, but I'm really bored at work and I always chuckle when fellow collectors get excited about buying a figure solely with reward points from SS. That free figure actually cost you 2X to 5X more just over time ie. IMO reward points = Scam.

Two questions:

1. How is anyone 'jumping through hoops' to use points they've accrued?

It's a very simple process imo: put any product in your cart > apply your rewards points > prosper.

What's so difficult about that that I'm missing? :dunno

2. How do you calculate that free figure cost someone up to 2x-5x more over time?

For example, how does Igor that retails at $509.99 (that some people will get for free with rewards points) actually cost them $2,549.95?

This. And then factor in $10 for a "pack-out", and you pay even more through Sideshow. The only advantages in ordering from SSC are 1) early delivery in most cases and 2) good customer service if something is damaged. BBTS has great customer service as well, though, and they don't charge anything extra for packing your figure the right way.

I agree the charge for pack outs stinks, however BBTS is the only retailer I know of that consistently packs out parcels at no extra charge and they are damn good at it. :lol

Also, Sideshow does occasionally include a gift (or multiple gifts) in the parcel when you use the pack out option.
Off the top of my head, Sideshow has included with pack out in my orders 4 customer care kits, about a dozen SSC keychains, 3 Sideshow calendars, a free Hot Toys figure, a free exclusive Christmas Stitch figure, and whatever else I'm forgetting. So, it's not completely terrible when you get a surprise gift every few orders. :D

Best not to mention the 100's of dollars they give away on a weekly basis either. Or the free codes.

and the the free points

and flex pay options...

:lol

I don't get how using a reward point, that is given absolutely free, makes things cost more? And from my looking around the cost at sideshow versus most other sellers are within 3-5% max. Usually a dollar or two different, or exact the same or even cheaper.

So if I spend srp on three or five figures, costing me nothing extra, I then am rewarded say 100-150 dollars in rewards(all rough numbers, exact amounts vary based on specific figures) and I apply that to my next figure, dropping the cost down by 100-150 dollars, this effectively taking that amount off as a reward for repeated customer business.

I just don't see how I was then scammed. If I saw a figure elsewhere was significantly cheaper I'd buy there. But I have yet to see a newly or upcoming released figure price difference between sideshow and anyone else being more then a few dollars. And I've yet to see anyone else give me like 10-50 dollars in rewards that I can then use on future items. But, I guess your right...I'm getting scammed by all that free money! The nerve of those people!

In reality I'm betting you didn't completly understand how the rewards work...

I want a damn free cleaning kit! Lol

You deserve one slam! :hi5:

I don't get how using a reward point, that is given absolutely free, makes things cost more? And from my looking around the cost at sideshow versus most other sellers are within 3-5% max. Usually a dollar or two different, or exact the same or even cheaper.

So if I spend srp on three or five figures, costing me nothing extra, I then am rewarded say 100-150 dollars in rewards(all rough numbers, exact amounts vary based on specific figures) and I apply that to my next figure, dropping the cost down by 100-150 dollars, this effectively taking that amount off as a reward for repeated customer business.

I just don't see how I was then scammed. If I saw a figure elsewhere was significantly cheaper I'd buy there. But I have yet to see a newly or upcoming released figure price difference between sideshow and anyone else being more then a few dollars. And I've yet to see anyone else give me like 10-50 dollars in rewards that I can then use on future items. But, I guess your right...I'm getting scammed by all that free money! The nerve of those people!

:exactly:

I admit that mathematics is not my strong suit, I'd like to see a calculation of how a product costs me up to 5x more by going through Sideshow. :dunno

Hey guys I'm back. Haha I kind of figured that statement would arouse some debate. Let me read thru all of your posts real fast and see if I can explain my point better. I didn't want to come off as neurotic before by writing a novel with examples to back up those percentages I threw at you. Also let me just say I don't think anyone is stupid for preferring SS, and I hope none of you read it that way. There site is hands down the most interactive and comprehensive I just buy a LOT of figures so overall cost is most important to me.

Last edited:
Yeah scam was a harsh word. Its more a go to market strategy. Most dealers will get to sell Hot toys at a discount of up to 8% now. Sideshow is giving the equivalency of a 5% reward. However the "scam" or slight of hand you are referring to is that the Sideshow discount is a perpetuity and will never be a fully realized benefit. Since you are required to purchase another figure before you receive the discount, Sideshow will end up being at least the last figure purchased worth of rewards more expensive plus the 8% discount differential. On a 10 figure lot, you would save about $187.50 back of the envelope on the calculation. Differences in shipping could possibly get you to one extra figure for every 10 purchased buying from a 3rd party dealer.

Overall, based on the calculation the dealers are 7.5% below the Sideshow price on average.
Again the benefits are customer service and getting the figure earlier.

A quick 10 figure lot example @$250 per assuming shipping is the same (which it never is)

Sideshow: $2,500 figure cost + ($125) rewards @5% per + $12.50 last figure reward + $100 pack out charge @$10 per= $2,487.50

Dealer at 8% discount (BBTS for example): $2,300

Difference is $2,487.50 - $2,300 = $187.50 in the black by purchasing from dealer

On figures that you are not afraid of selling out it is beneficial to wait as well - I was able to get IP, WM and Red Snapper for much lower that Sideshow even accounting for their award system. If money is a factor to you then you just have to be patient on some of the figures and you can find deals. Of course everything changes when exclusives are involved.:rotfl

On figures that you are not afraid of selling out it is beneficial to wait as well - I was able to get IP, WM and Red Snapper for much lower that Sideshow even accounting for their award system. If money is a factor to you then you just have to be patient on some of the figures and you can find deals. Of course everything changes when exclusives are involved.:rotfl

I just watched Thor get punched 50 times. That sig is mesmerizing.

Two questions:

1. How is anyone 'jumping through hoops' to use points they've accrued?

It's a very simple process imo: put any product in your cart > apply your rewards points > prosper.

What's so difficult about that that I'm missing? :dunno

2. How do you calculate that free figure cost someone up to 2x-5x more over time?

For example, how does Igor that retails at $509.99 (that some people will get for free with rewards points) actually cost them $2,549.95?

I agree the charge for pack outs stinks, however BBTS is the only retailer I know of that consistently packs out parcels at no extra charge and they are damn good at it. :lol

Also, Sideshow does occasionally include a gift (or multiple gifts) in the parcel when you use the pack out option.
Off the top of my head, Sideshow has included with pack out in my orders 4 customer care kits, about a dozen SSC keychains, 3 Sideshow calendars, a free Hot Toys figure, a free exclusive Christmas Stitch figure, and whatever else I'm forgetting. So, it's not completely terrible when you get a surprise gift every few orders. :D

:lol

Yeah scam was a harsh word. Its more a go to market strategy. Most dealers will get to sell Hot toys at a discount of up to 8% now. Sideshow is giving the equivalency of a 5% reward. However the "scam" or slight of hand you are referring to is that the Sideshow discount is a perpetuity and will never be a fully realized benefit. Since you are required to purchase another figure before you receive the discount, Sideshow will end up being at least the last figure purchased worth of rewards more expensive plus the 8% discount differential. On a 10 figure lot, you would save about $187.50 back of the envelope on the calculation. Differences in shipping could possibly get you to one extra figure for every 10 purchased buying from a 3rd party dealer.

Overall, based on the calculation the dealers are 7.5% below the Sideshow price on average.
Again the benefits are customer service and getting the figure earlier.

A quick 10 figure lot example @$250 per assuming shipping is the same (which it never is)

Sideshow: $2,500 figure cost + ($125) rewards @5% per + $12.50 last figure reward + $100 pack out charge @$10 per= $2,487.50

Dealer at 8% discount (BBTS for example): $2,300

Difference is $2,487.50 - $2,300 = $187.50 in the black by purchasing from dealer

I made a big error... I thought sideshow charged 10% sales tax because it shows up on the quick calculator, and then again on the next page after you click pre-order. I didn't see the little 91000 excluded button that corrected that. I'm sure you can all understand how a reward point worth 5% of the overall purchase would seem stupid to me if they charged 10% more than anyone else. Dumb but honest mistake.

Obviously I absolutely retract my rewards points are a scam statement, and pretty much everything else;

Well, except the bits about the benefits of waiting a few months after a figures is released to buy it. I've paid almost 20% less for all my purchases this year by doing this. But this is really news to anyone I'm sure.

Back