1/6 Hot Toys-MMS 217-The Lone Ranger-Tonto 1/6th Scale Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So are they just doing this for people who've purchased a lot of product from them? If not, I'll feel dumb for having splurged on Tonto when I could have bought something else and gotten Tonto free. On the other hand, I only paid $140, and I doubt I could have purchased any Sideshow figures for that price.

Is this the first time SS has given stuff away? Tonto must have sold even worse than we thought. Which means zero hope of the Ranger (as if we didn't already know).

No, they've also given the Jor-El and Angelica figures to people as gifts.

hey, yeah it happened to me too. I ordered the Bat Armory full set yesterday with the 20% coupon and i got Tonto for free. Nice gift sideshow!

Same here! I guess the figure bombed like the movie. I've got mostly superheroes in my collection but I'll find a place for him.

Same thing with me. Got an email about a free gift coming with my order. I ordered a HT Robocop, just got an invoice few hours ago with a free Tonto added on.

So did you get 2 separate emails. I just got my invoice for tws shipping soon.

Yes, there were two separate emails. One was just an email thanking me for my purchase and that I would be receiving a free gift with it, but didnt list specifically what I was receiving. I was thinking to myself "cool maybe Im getting a key chain" or something. Then I got my shipping confirmation email and it showed the Tonto figure at no cost, pretty nice of them. Guess I should watch the movie this weekend since Im going to own the figure!

Well, this morning I finally got my hands on the Hot Toys Tonto. I photographed him in ye olde canyon, and I like to think some of the results are swell. Whatever the case I'll share 'em here once they're all on Flickr.

In the meantime, I now own the NECA Tonto, the NECA quarter-scale Tonto and the Hot Toys Tonto. I feel I'm equipped to address their respective qualities.

My least favorite is probably the quarter-scale. I understand that a sculpt will soften when you embiggen it, but the problem is the paint; his face paint is basically just plain white, with none of the browns and detail and weathering of the standard NECA-scale figure. It's strange, indeed inexplicable, and it robs the figure of almost all his charm.

With him out of contention, I'd basically need a T-chart to list the things each of the remaining two figures does best. Briefly:

Hot Toys Tonto's eyes are of a quality that no NECA figure will ever likely match. Unfortunately, for all their uncanny sparkling life their expression is leaden and zombie-like. Still, there's no competing with the lifelike nature of Hot Toys eyes. Creepy little buggers.

It never occurred to me to make a point of comparing the respective crows on his head. They're both fine.

While they make posing fun, the Hot Toys ankles look like absolute garbage. They interfere with one's suspension of disbelief in a massive way.

While I am generally a fan of soft goods, the pants on the NECA Tonto look better than the cloth pants on the Hot Toys Tonto.

While the bracelets and such on the Hot Toys figure are of course more ornate than those on the NECA version, their loose strands of string were too unwieldy; until I can get them settled down a bit he'll just go without, which is a bummer 'cause now his wrists are as startling and distracting as his ankles.

The sculpted hair on the NECA figure is vastly superior to the thin, unconvincing, frustratingly unwieldy rooted hair of the Hot Toys figure... and that's pretty damning, considering the hair is one of the weaker aspects of the NECA figure. (The strands are fine, but in their way they too are unwieldy).

The NECA body is much, much better. It looks exactly like Depp's body in the film.

The face likeness is also much better on the NECA figure; the Hot Toys face is more artfully rendered, but it has almost no accuracy, especially with that dead mannequin stare; like The Rock or Han Solo, it's a beautiful, inspired portrait... of some dude cosplaying the character.

I do like the Hot Toys figure marginally more than I thought I would, but while I captured a few successful portraits of him, he is nowhere near as intuitive to pose and play with as the NECA figure, he's not as accurate a representation of the character as the NECA figure, and oddly enough, in light of his suggested retail price tag, he looks much, much more like a toy than the NECA figure. More to the point, he looks like a doll.

Nice sum up Monte. I love my Hot Toys Tonto a lot. I own the Neca version and have compared both and still to me the Hot Toys figure still beats it by a mile even if the accuracy isn't quite there. It's one of those figures that are going no where. Can't wait to see some of your pictures!

I own the Neca version and have compared both and still to me the Hot Toys figure still beats it by a mile even if the accuracy isn't quite there.

Fair enough. As I've said elsewhere, what the Hot Toys figure does right it really does right. Oddly enough, comparing the two just brought out their respective flaws to such an extent that I am now mostly just frustrated with both figures, ha ha ha.

As long as we don't have a HT Ranger I'll take any argument why NECA is superior!

Aw man, seriously. It kills me--kills me!--that we're never getting that Ranger. He looks so much better than the Tonto figure! (Although who knows what would have been lost during the production process?)

Meanwhile, I have three portraits on Flickr, so I may as well share them.

17023885290_c88ae36311.jpg

17008361527_9e3a5fbd7a.jpg

17215225501_ba173174b8.jpg

Face sculpt is great. Body is a different story though....

Still don't know what happen to the Ichabod likeness after Tonto, Todd and Sparrow were so good!!

Same here! I guess the figure bombed like the movie. I've got mostly superheroes in my collection but I'll find a place for him.

I lied, I took him to Toy Anxiety and they gave me $120 store credit for him. I used it towards the HT Falcon, only had to pay $130 out of pocket.

Lmao I got poor Tonto free for buying Supes and Winter Soldier. :|

Free is free I guess I'm not complaining. Was hoping for Jor-El since I do have Zod on order tho...

Back