Hot Toys Justice League Aquaman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So guess what? Aquaman also made it all the way down here! So now my JL set up is complete (minus Cyborg, god rest his soul, and with BvS Superman, WW and Batman -cause I like these versions better...)

So, first impression is brilliant. The figure looks great out of the box and has some amazing detailing on the suit and paint apps. Then again, the paint apps are basically just the green undertone and some dry-brushing in gold over it... Well, it's more than just dry-brushing, but not a lot more... Contrary to the Flash, the suit and design for Aquaman seem to have worked better in the film than in the figure. Having said that, it's still quite a striking figure. Also, the stretchy material for the suit looks and feels great, and allows for a lot of articulation (when the armoured bits don't get in the way).
The head sculpt isn't very good. It doesn't quite capture Momoa, and the paint apps on the hair are just lazy.
The five-pointed lance thing looks nice, but it really should've been metal. HT are very lazy with these accessories... the Vulture's helmet accessory that cam with the Spiderman figure comes to mind... just a cheap piece of plastic.
As for the torso/upper chest articulation, I believe HT didn't quite think it through... I mean, I understand what they were trying to do, but it doesn't work, mainly because the lower torso/abdomen is solid and has absolutely no movement, rendering the little movement the chest has completely unnatural. Basically, it's lazy and cheap design by Hot Toys.

So yeah, a bit underwhelming all in all, but it does look pretty majestic on the shelf.
If reviews of the Aquaman version are positive, I might think of replacing this one, as I don't really care about having a JL movie specific set-up, but rather the (IMHO) best looks of the characters.

Aquaman19.jpg

So guess what? Aquaman also made it all the way down here! So now my JL set up is complete (minus Cyborg, god rest his soul, and with BvS Superman, WW and Batman -cause I like these versions better...)

...but rather the (IMHO) best looks of the characters.

Yeah, it’s all about the versions you prefer but I just gotta say (knowing this is the Aquaman thread, not the Batman) but JL bats really blew me away with a silencer on the gun it was fired from. After the masterful Knightmare and Tactical suit Bats, my hopes for the regular suit JL Bats was pretty low but it’s an improvement from the BvS & SS Bats in every aspect aside from the cape (which isn’t a big deal since I always have a few different styles of custom capes to choose from). All I’m saying is that if you have the chance to take a look at the regular JL Bats in person, please do yourself a favor and at least take a look; the figure is fantastic and both versions come with the Parademon gun that is a necessity for Tactical Bats or can be parted out for decent money!

Regarding Aquaman really quickly, I have to agree with your points even though I’m relatively happy with the figure but he will surely be replaced by the solo film’s Aquaman in my display when it comes.

The thing is, I like the BvS suit better than the JL suit, and the figure is quite amazing in itself, so I'll stick with the BvS version for Batman. Same goes for Superman, I don't like the new colours on the JL suit. Wonder Woman, I actually like the BvS figure better, after being initially a fan of the JL sculpt it somehow didn't seem reason enough to go through the hassle of getting that version. Besides, something odd happened to her legs in the JL version...
As for Aquaman, I like both versions, so it'll be a matter of which figure is better.

I'm still not sure what to do about this one... The head sculpt and independently moving chest plate definitely give me pause. On the other hand, I actually liked the overall look of JL suit better on film than the solo film version. The JL one feels more Snyder-y Atlantean, a cool adaptation, etc., whereas the gold and green of the one in the Wan film is a bit too comic book-y for my taste. I'm surely in the minority on that, but it is what it is.

If I can pose him such that the chest plate simply looks a bit thicker than the rest of the armor without being noticeably detached, then that problem is solved. And maybe I can live with the subpar head sculpt even if the likeness is 6/10--as the JL WW is, but I can live with it.

I picked up some great third party head sculpts for Batfleck (the one by Eleven, the 2.0) and for BvS Superman (can't recall who made it but it looks great). I'm really hoping that eventually we get a third party improved head sculpts for JL WW and Aquaman. With much better rooted hair for Diana, as the synthetic stuff they used for her JL figure is frizzy af.

That sculpt is great.

Yes that looks quite good, but those exposed elbow joints are horrid. The exposed ab articulation isn't quite as bad due to the camouflage provided by all the tats, but it's still disappointing. I'd like a version like this, but (as mentioned previously in the other Aquaman thread) it should have had an upper body like the HT John Matrix, where the only exposed joints are at the shoulders.

HT Commando.jpg

....and he's here! I know, I know...VERY late to this party!

Just some very quick shots and impressions (early work day tomorrow at remote site so early night)...

JL-AQUAMAN-004.jpg

JL-AQUAMAN-001.jpg

I like it! Detailing and textures are off the charts good. Chest separation not so glaring in hand, in fact, it works well for the positioning and look of the outfit.
Head sculpt typical HT - beautiful craftsmanship, off likeness (a little too smoothed out for Mamoa///he's a bit rough looking).

The articulation is almost non-existent, but that more about the costume design than anything.

JL-AQUAMAN-002.jpg

JL-AQUAMAN-003.jpg

I'm glad I got it...looking forward to setting him up with the other members of the JL and getting more shots.

Looks like one can imagine without too great a stretch that if the figure reflected the character in his world (hope that makes sense! i.e., versus as a 1/6 action figure designed for greater articulation of the torso, etc.), then the chest plate is simply a thicker plate of armor?

Back