Hot Toys John Wick

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the first post I’ve read that sums up my feelings precisely, based on what I’ve seen in the overwhelming majority of photos I’ve seen of this guy. Every post I’ve read, like with most figures, assert that the sculpt is better in hand. Which often times, it is. There’s also often times at least some photos though that reflect that the shortcomings of the sculpt could be due simply to poor lighting, bad angles, etc. In other words, some photos where the sculpt actually does look good, corroborating the assertion that it indeed looks better in hand. RotS Obi-Wan, for instance.

However, with this figure, I just don’t see that. Granted I don’t have it in hand, but I have not seen one photo where the beard doesn’t look like a very soft five-o’clock shadow, and the face seemingly lacking sharp details that dilutes the likeness a bit. I would think if it does indeed look better in hand, there would at least be some photos that would reflect that the sculpt can indeed look good. I personally haven’t seen one yet.

It’s a bummer because I really like JW and want to like and have this figure, but to me it looks more like a generic representation of JW rather than discernibly Keanu as JW. I may still get it in the future just because I really like the character, but I wouldn’t mind getting it used on eBay for a cheaper price. It’s one of those figures for me where it’d be cool to have if I can get it a little bit discounted, but if I don’t ever get it, sad to say because I like the character, it wouldn’t be that big of a deal.

Yeah unfortunately I have to agree that the likeness has been looking pretty weak in the vast majority of in hand pics so far. And it doesn't seem to matter what angle or what kind of lighting. The customized versions with rooted hair come a bit closer, but are still not quite there.

I know the Neo sculpt can look a bit generic as well, but I can still find plenty of pics where the likeness looks incredible and dead-on.

I really like this figure, but it does have some issues. Tortfeazor hit the nail on the head. The beard isn't nearly well defined or dark enough. I think otherwise the sculpt is there though. I don't trust my own painting skills enough to touch this up. And the suit jacket severely limits upper arm movement. I haven't been able to get any of JW's signature stances yet. I'm hoping with some futzing I'll get there. Overall I like the figure, but there are these issues.

I'm gonna be 100% honest with you guys, if you're expecting a ton of screen accurate gun-fu poses with a stiffer, tailored coat plus a full sleeved shirt underneath, you're going to be disappointed. While I don't have the fig in hand yet, I'm hard pressed to think that he'd ever be able to do anything excessively elaborate. Even the promo shots are fairly limited. Short of there being an elastic fabric that bridged the shoulders and sleeve at the stitch (as two separate parts, linked) I just don't see it as possible.

I'd bet (though I have no confirmation) that Keanu himself had stunt suits and hero suits, with the former being high stretch fiber construction and/or a slightly larger size and the latter being the "sommelier"-esque scene suit. A well fitted jacket isn't made to do acrobatics in.

So I mean perhaps the figure's suit could have been a more stretchy material, but even then you'd likely sacrifice finish for that, with it looking more artificial.

Got him last night! Nice likeness (I agree about the beard not being defined enough), excellent detail in the outfit, wide choice of weaponry ... but yeah, between the slim cut of the suit and what feels like some limitations in the arm articulation, it's hard to get him into really dynamic poses. I don't think he's on a standard True-Type body, but I could be wrong. Had a hard time with his shoulders. Maybe some of the joint components got flipped around when they were dressing him. That happens sometimes. But I'm not undressing him to find out. It's a great costume and I don't want to mess it up.

Ultimately I decided on a a more stoic, determined pose. It's still cool and Wick-y, but would have liked some options.

Overall, solid figure, though. I really dig him.

(Still bummed he doesn't come with any dogs.)

I don’t know what type of body he’s got, but I can’t get his arms to bend straight out at the shoulders, which is what’s limiting everything I want to do. He’s got a lot of play moving the shoulders from back to chest, but the shoulder joint is really restrictive.

Got him last night! Nice likeness (I agree about the beard not being defined enough), excellent detail in the outfit, wide choice of weaponry ... but yeah, between the slim cut of the suit and what feels like some limitations in the arm articulation, it's hard to get him into really dynamic poses. I don't think he's on a standard True-Type body, but I could be wrong. Had a hard time with his shoulders. Maybe some of the joint components got flipped around when they were dressing him. That happens sometimes. But I'm not undressing him to find out. It's a great costume and I don't want to mess it up.

Ultimately I decided on a a more stoic, determined pose. It's still cool and Wick-y, but would have liked some options.

Overall, solid figure, though. I really dig him.

(Still bummed he doesn't come with any dogs.)

I received mine this afternoon and I agree with the majority of this. He looks great in a stoic natural pose. If you love dynamic poses that great looking suit will frustrate articulation. Other than the lightness of the beard which reads better at a distance I have no complaints about the sculpt and I have most if not all of the third party sculpts. The arms joints on mine were flipped I did have to rotate them back to move his arms up and down

I'm sure the outfit is restrictive, but most HT bodies also tend to be pretty stiff right out of the box, so I can see how it might be necessary to work the joints a little first to loosen things up.

I received mine this afternoon and I agree with the majority of this. He looks great in a stoic natural pose. If you love dynamic poses that great looking suit will frustrate articulation. Other than the lightness of the beard which reads better at a distance I have no complaints about the sculpt and I have most if not all of the third party sculpts. The arms joints on mine were flipped I did have to rotate them back to move his arms up and down

Mine don't seem to want to move forward AT ALL. Can I ask what you meant saying they were flipped and what to do to fix?

Has anyone ever tried removing his jacket? Even though he did everything with it on in the movies...

I should be getting mine next week. I have a slightly different pose in mind. I made some tables, bought extra weapons, some wooden crates, whiskey bottles, and some extra loose parts from Monkey Depot, and made some 1/6 whiskey glasses. I will have a sommelier type display with everything laid out like a shopping spree.

I’ve been largely underwhelmed by this guy based on what I see in photos, but I still look forward to seeing more, and seeing just what kind of poses some people can get out of him.

I just watched Justin’s review and he got him into the pose I want. So I’m hopeful now knowing that it’s possible. Now to figure out what I’m doing wrong.

Yo Justin, you on here!? 😂

Got John Wick yesterday. Love the figure. His shoulders aren't very poseable but you can still get him into a fairly dynamic pose. His suit is tailored very nicely which hinders movement. If he was life sized his arms would move fine but with smaller clothes the fabric is still as thick as full size. smaller things don't bend as easily. Anyway here are a couple crappy phone pics of mine. Ill get the wife to take better pics with a camera. She is the photographer around here.

shell filling station near me

anthropologist salary uk

Got my Wick and I am overall happy with it. The head sculpt isn't perfect but it's good enough for me. A little bummed about how hindered the up movement is on the arms but overall satisfied!

DSC_0845.jpg

DSC_0830.jpg

DSC_0932.jpg

DSC_0930.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0845.jpg
    DSC_0845.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 189
Back