Hot Toys Iron Man Fade Issue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Mark VI had light/medium fading on the underpants. I researched several solutions and decided the easiest and safest solution was to spray paint it. I bought Tamiya clear red and tested it on a penny, but it was way too bright.

I then purchased a spray can of Mr. Color No. 47 and it worked great. It's not exactly the original deep red color, but it's close and blends in with the figure well. About as good as you can expect with minimal effort. Just spray with light coats until the area has a nice gloss to it.

Purchased here if anybody is interested https://www.toyarena.com/product_info.php/hobby-color-spray-gloss-clear-red-100ml-spray-can-p-7482

My Mark VI had light/medium fading on the underpants. I researched several solutions and decided the easiest and safest solution was to spray paint it. I bought Tamiya clear red and tested it on a penny, but it was way too bright.

I then purchased a spray can of Mr. Color No. 47 and it worked great. It's not exactly the original deep red color, but it's close and blends in with the figure well. About as good as you can expect with minimal effort. Just spray with light coats until the area has a nice gloss to it.

Purchased here if anybody is interested https://www.toyarena.com/product_info.php/hobby-color-spray-gloss-clear-red-100ml-spray-can-p-7482

I bought it Mr.Color 47 and you are right its not exactly the same color but close can you post some pics of your Iron man I want a close up view of the color

Thank you for the information. Pictures of the end result would me much appreciated:pray:

Here are some pics of the end result. Sorry, I didn't take pics before painting.

It's not a perfect match, but looks pretty good overall. I actually just purchased a second bottle and will try a few more thin coats of paint to see if I can match it even further.

8679584956_6f845d7d9f_b.jpg

8678474467_fff7dbff6f_b.jpg

That looks great shobot! You are right in that a few more layers will give you that deep red you desire. I will be attempting my repaint with Mr color and ill post the results.

If you look at the other guys instructions he first adds a silver base then paints over it in red he was able to achieve a very good red color match to it

Last edited:

IMG_0273 by justin86b, on Flickr

IMG_0276 by justin86b, on Flickr

IMG_0277 by justin86b, on Flickr

Instead of removing the paint and starting from scratch I just did several overcoats, 30 minutes between each later on top of the existing paint with MR. Hobby 47 until I liked the shade of red. Then used the Gundam marker to recolor the panel lines that may have been covered. If you have an airbrush I would definitely recommend Gaia #41 clear red over Mr. Color.

Last edited:

IMG_0273 by justin86b, on Flickr

IMG_0276 by justin86b, on Flickr

IMG_0277 by justin86b, on Flickr

Instead of removing the paint and starting from scratch I just did several overcoats, 30 minutes between each later on top of the existing paint with MR. Hobby 47 until I liked the shade of red. Then used the Gundam marker to recolor the panel lines that may have been covered. If you have an airbrush I would recommend Gaia #41 clear red.

Gaia# 41 I think that's the same paint the modeler used to on his in any case yours looks great.

I believe they just pop off,just like the arms do. Try it with an arm first so you have a feel of what ur about to do. They are very tight but keep in mind they were made to be able to pop on and off. Good Luck

For those with pink panties on their original Mark III, I've tried several methods and none of them satisfied me until I found the easiest way today and wow, I'm pleased with the result!

The method?

Simply take some acrylic gloss medium and make a wash with some deep purple red. And voila! Looks almost as when I unboxed it!

Sorry I don't have pics but the result is almost perfect!

Hey fellas, how were you guys able to remove the legs with out breaking them, any method to this?

grab at the top of the hip and twist the leg while pulling out. they are just on large ball joints. they will pop right off

For people who want their Iron Undies to look like new again and not a "good enough" follow the recipe below. I am in no way a pro painter so if I can do it anyone can. This was through much trial and error.

Things you will need
-Airbrush (Harbor Freight has a kit for $89.00, just return it when your done if you don't want to keep it)
-Mr. Color Leveling Thinner (any Lacquer thinner will do)
-Mr. Color #8 Metallic Silver (For the Base)
-Gaia #41 Clear Red (Ebay)
-Tamiya XF-1 Flat Black or Gundam GM01 Marker

Step 1:
Remove underwear from body by pulling the legs out sideways out of the socket. The Undies are held in by a bit of glue which pops right off with a bit of wiggling.

Step 2:
Use the Laquer thinner and some paper towels and begin wiping off all the paint off the undies.

IMG_0328 by justin86b, on Flickr

Step 3:
With a bit of soap, warm water and a lint free cloth clean the undies so they dont have any dirt or oil on the surface.

Step 4:
Mix the Laquer thinner with the Mr. Color #8 Silver paint in the airbrush until the consistency is that of skim milk and do a base coat.

IMG_0329 by justin86b, on Flickr

Step 5:
Now pull out the Gaia clear red and once again thin the paint until it has skim milk consistency. Perform 2 "dust" coats to make sure its nice and even.

IMG_0330 by justin86b, on Flickr

Step 6-7:
Wait 30 Minutes then do 2 more coats but this time make them "wet" coats, which basically means put down more paint until the finish looks wet. Wait another 30 and do 2 more "wet" coats or until paint color matches that of your figure.

IMG_0331 by justin86b, on Flickr

IMG_0332 by justin86b, on Flickr

Step 8:
Tape off the undies so only the panel lines are shown and paint them in with the Acrylic black paint (thin with water) or if you have a steady hand use the Gundam GM01 marker or any flat black maker with a fine tip.

All Done! If all went well it should look just like new.

If you screwed up simply remove the paint with the thinner and you can try again.

IMG_0361 by justin86b, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great job on making a bad situation good. I can't even tell the difference in some pics. would a clear coat at the end help protect it from happening again?

Great job on making a bad situation good. I can't even tell the difference in some pics. would a clear coat at the end help protect it from happening again?

It would but the clear coat would be harder than the soft plastic and would be prone to cracking.

Best way to do this is with an airbrush, I tried to use a normal paint brush on the MK III BD and it came out looking like BBQ (when you put the sauce on the meat over and over again), I had to clean the paint off and do it again.

Real nice restoration projects!

So whats the cause for this fading? poor paint?

Back