Hot Toys Iron Man Fade Issue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just looked at my Mark III BD in storage. I find it strange that the the "panties" section did not fade like the abs/torso section. They seem to be made of the same similar flexible material.

density factors into how fast the pigment will fade as well if it is an oxidization issue.

I noticed that on my older Mark Suit figures where I left the silica packs inside the box, the figures had fading issues. And the ones where I somehow removed the silica packs, there were no fading issues. Upon receiving my Mark IV, V, and VI, I immediately threw away the silica packs as soon as I received those.

I just re-inspected my IV, V, and VI this evening and none have faded at all.

That's funny because just last night I opened my Mark VI and noticed how nicely his color is holding up and attributed it to leaving the silica pack in there for the last 2 years.

All this talk of fading is having me think I should cancel the Avengers Iron Man. Not everyone has the fading, but it really seems HT is not addressing this issue at all. I don't know what to do lol.:gah:

All this talk of fading is having me think I should cancel the Avengers Iron Man. Not everyone has the fading, but it really seems HT is not addressing this issue at all. I don't know what to do lol.:gah:

I paid $180 for Mk IV a couple of years ago and I've had two years' worth of display enjoyment out of it. It will definitely be a bummer if/when the paint starts to fade, but... I'll have got a good amount of pleasure out of it, and at least I can draw on the generous advice of others who've worked out a way to address the fade issue with a pretty simple paint fix.

At the end of the day, most of these things are made from materials that just don't hold up over time. The idea that we'll be able to pass them on in mint condition to our grandkids is sadly not the reality of it in most cases.

I paid $180 for Mk IV a couple of years ago and I've had two years' worth of display enjoyment out of it. It will definitely be a bummer if/when the paint starts to fade, but... I'll have got a good amount of pleasure out of it, and at least I can draw on the generous advice of others who've worked out a way to address the fade issue with a pretty simple paint fix.

At the end of the day, most of these things are made from materials that just don't hold up over time. The idea that we'll be able to pass them on in mint condition to our grandkids is sadly not the reality of it in most cases.
Thanks, you make a lot of sense. Maybe I won't cancel then, I can just save some tutorials here like you said, and fix it when that time comes. I guess I should take advantage of all the people here willing to help out. And I suppose I better get used to simple mods like that if I'm gonna be picky about how things look.

Thanks for the reply, I feel better about getting it now, it'll be my first Iron Man so I was really looking forward to it.

Thanks, you make a lot of sense. Maybe I won't cancel then, I can just save some tutorials here like you said, and fix it when that time comes. I guess I should take advantage of all the people here willing to help out. And I suppose I better get used to simple mods like that if I'm gonna be picky about how things look.

Thanks for the reply, I feel better about getting it now, it'll be my first Iron Man so I was really looking forward to it.

Yeh, picking it up at release time guarantees you'll be getting a solid figure out of the box (given you can easily return it if it has any QC issues). What I would be reluctant to do is pay after-market prices for what the other red-suited marks are going for - just too risky imo. You'll really enjoy your figure, even if you're only a casual IM fan like me. They really are beautiful things to look at :)

This is why I've always tried my best to keep all my Ironmans and Batmans out of direct (and indirect, if I can help it) sun light, and extreme heat. Even the others, to keep their bright colors from fading, but I’ve noticed that my Indy’s buckle has gone from gold to silver.

If I look at a few of my Ironmans under bright light (only for a few minutes) I do notice a slit fade though. And out of my Ironmans that are packed up (original MKI, MKII, and MKIII), I left the moisture bags in, so I’m hoping this isn’t a mistake.

I haven't removed any paint from a figure yet, but I would try acrylic thinner first. After all we're talking about Hot Toys here I would imagine they use acrylic paint on these figures, or at most a lacquer based paint.

The beckycustomizer blog seems to be suggesting lacquer thinners, but that might be because that's the type of paint she prefers to use.

I read on a different thread someone used an enamel based thinner and it did some damage to the rubber. However the damage just seemed to be a matte finish of the rubber, and may not have even been damage at all.

Either way I'd start with the most mild thinner first, (Acrylic) and if that doesn't work try a lacquer thinner. Are you going to be repainting, or clear coating the rubber with no paint?

Tried with acrylic, can't remove the paints.

Does the Avengers version of Mark VI have fading issues or did they fix that? Thats the only Iron Man figure I own and its okay so far but I am extremely paranoid.

Does the Avengers version of Mark VI have fading issues or did they fix that? Thats the only Iron Man figure I own and its okay so far but I am extremely paranoid.

Only time will tell, if they used the same material as the IM2 version, then most likely.

Also I guess it depends on the conditions as well, I have 3 MKVI's and 2 are perfectly fine, but 1 has faded pink and they are displayed in the same display case.

If it does fade you can always use the two methods other freaks have shared on here. I used the repaint method and it came out looking like brand new.

Any idea as to WHY they fade? Is it from direct sunlight or something? There are people here who have kept them out of sunlight and they still fade. I'm getting my first HT IM with the Mark VII and I'm worried it'll start to fade over time.

Any idea as to WHY they fade? Is it from direct sunlight or something? There are people here who have kept them out of sunlight and they still fade. I'm getting my first HT IM with the Mark VII and I'm worried it'll start to fade over time.

I'm not 100% sure myself, but there seems to be a variety of causes if you look back on the replies. Mine are in a display case away from sunlight and the room is barely lit itself.

I was able to snag a Mark VI IM2 for $200 w/ pink undies as usual. So I removed the pink color and now has the original matte red paint. Has anyone tried applying a "floor wax" on a rubber? Curious if that would help bring back the gloss.

There are people here who have kept them out of sunlight and they still fade.

J1dpqu6wTDUP4nisLSR2WeQs-KI.jpg

(Where are they?
And where's the proof they "kept them from sunlight?")

OK . . . but that sounds more like a problem with paint application than "fading."
(How do you know these people didn't buy a used, previously displayed figure?)

I have an original Mark 3 orderdd back in '08 with no fading.
(Same with my original Mark 6 from IM2.)

One's mileage may vary . . . but where is the proof?
:dunno

OK . . . but that sounds more like a problem with paint application than "fading."

I have an original Mark 3 purchased back in '09 with no fading.
(Same with my original Mark 6 from IM2.)

Your mileage may vary . . .

It seems like a batch problem honestly. My original release Mark IV and Avengers Mark VI are in a detolf in a lighted room. The sun doesn't shine on them directly, but the room is often lit. They don't show any differences in color from the moment I opened them. But I'm watching, and waiting.

I was able to snag a Mark VI IM2 for $200 w/ pink undies as usual. So I removed the pink color and now has the original matte red paint. Has anyone tried applying a "floor wax" on a rubber? Curious if that would help bring back the gloss.

if you have this at home or its equivalent then you can apply this using a soft brush to your piece to make it bling, it act like a clear glossy coat, its self leveling, i use this for most of my gundam kits to give them a nice gloss finish.
25qO2.jpg

more coat more bling ... :wave

or use those Mr.Hobby/ Mr.Color, bottled paint (10ml)
get no. 46 clear or no. 181 super clear .. both can provide you that gloss you need

goodluck

Back