Hot Toys Iron Man Fade Issue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does the newer IM figures (from Avengers or IM3) also have fade problems? Haven't bought any IM yet because of this (passed on Mark 5, my favorite).

Of all the Mks I have (MkII:AU, MkIII, MkIII:BD, MkV and MkVI), I think only the MkII:AU and MkV have escaped having any faded panties issues.

If the fading undies happen on the Mk VII Battle Damaged, how would you repaint them? I don't see any sign of that happening to mine but the various layers of paint detail would be a nightmare to replicate.

I really wish there was a definitive answer as to whether the newer armors will fade or not but of course Hot Toys won't say. I've asked and have yet to get a reply from them.

I have been trying to narrow my Iron Man down to 2 out of the first 7. I definitely want the first and guess I may sell all but VII as I do want a red/gold version but don't want to worry about the fading issues..... never had III and sold V so I guess IV ad VI need to go. I hope Centurion won't have any problems.

The gold on my Mark VII's legs has started to fade, looks like the other guy who posted this problem isnt the only one, will post pictures when I am able

My MK IV hadn't shown any signs of fading since new. Then I had to store it for 6 months - I should've known better after what has been written about it, but there y'go. Having taken it back out for display, there are now slight signs of fade. Bummer. I'm sure if somebody with the materials and skills to do the repaint called out for a batch job they'd get enough takers to make it worth their while. Otherwise I'll invest in the materials myself at some point and do it myself.

If the fading undies happen on the Mk VII Battle Damaged, how would you repaint them? I don't see any sign of that happening to mine but the various layers of paint detail would be a nightmare to replicate.

I really wish there was a definitive answer as to whether the newer armors will fade or not but of course Hot Toys won't say. I've asked and have yet to get a reply from them.

The underwear on my MKVII does seem to be fading slightly.
But i have the paint to fix it at work, and i have done several MKIVs and MKVIs for members of the facebook group, so i feel confident i will be able to fix mine if it ever becomes too severe.

The underwear on my MKVII does seem to be fading slightly.
But i have the paint to fix it at work, and i have done several MKIVs and MKVIs for members of the facebook group, so i feel confident i will be able to fix mine if it ever becomes too severe.

I'm not sure how keen I am to attend to the slight fade I've got going on... if you're open to providing the service, could you please pm me your rate?

I'm not sure how keen I am to attend to the slight fade I've got going on... if you're open to providing the service, could you please pm me your rate?

To be honest, the process is simple if you have access to an airbrush. Just do a few light coats till it looks right. I spray right onto the original faded surface.
I thin the Gaia color with acetone, which evaporates really fast. I mix it up, spray it on and wait ten minutes. If it still looks a bit light, i give it another coat. If it looks rich enough, i stop where i am. I generally judge it by eye, lol.
In these pics, the one on the left had previously been done, and the one on the right was in the process of being done.

IMG_6180.jpg

IMG_6181.jpg

IMG_6182.jpg

IMG_6183.jpg

IMG_6184.jpg

The gold on my Mark VII's legs has started to fade, looks like the other guy who posted this problem isnt the only one, will post pictures when I am able

Wow even the recent armors are fading too? I thought it was only the old ones. How could Hot Toys not solve this issue yet? Might be time to stop buying IM armors.

To be honest, the process is simple if you have access to an airbrush. Just do a few light coats till it looks right. I spray right onto the original faded surface.
I thin the Gaia color with acetone, which evaporates really fast. I mix it up, spray it on and wait ten minutes. If it still looks a bit light, i give it another coat. If it looks rich enough, i stop where i am. I generally judge it by eye, lol.
In these pics, the one on the left had previously been done, and the one on the right was in the process of being done.

Thanks for the pm and info with pics! :hi5:

I bought MKVII because I was hoping the fade issue wouldn't affect it(even though I have no rational reason why it wouldn't). Ill just have to live with it if/when it happens. Ill not buy another Iron Man until the issue is resolved.

Wow even the recent armors are fading too? I thought it was only the old ones. How could Hot Toys not solve this issue yet? Might be time to stop buying IM armors.

Mine looks like a paint app problem, maybe didnt top coat it or something. Still need to take a pic tho

I bought MKVII because I was hoping the fade issue wouldn't affect it(even though I have no rational reason why it wouldn't). Ill just have to live with it if/when it happens. Ill not buy another Iron Man until the issue is resolved.

Diecast may be all you get then.

.. or just avoid the IM figures with red pants.. I heard about this issue just after starting to collect Hot Toys figures, since I have zero air-brush skills, I made a decision to only collect the figures which did not have red pants.. the Mark 42 Diecast kinda bends that rule, but the pants are mostly gold at the front.. I'm fairly sure the diecast figures still have plastic pants, to avoid paint scuffing, no?

.. or just avoid the IM figures with red pants.. I heard about this issue just after starting to collect Hot Toys figures, since I have zero air-brush skills, I made a decision to only collect the figures which did not have red pants.. the Mark 42 Diecast kinda bends that rule, but the pants are mostly gold at the front.. I'm fairly sure the diecast figures still have plastic pants, to avoid paint scuffing, no?

The main fade issue is the "underwear" portion of the figure and its because that part is a rubber piece painted silver then red over that.

Its the rubber parts that fade, ie mark III's torso, pink panties for most other marks.

Back