Hot Toys - Iron Man 3 - Mark XXXIX / Starboost

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received a notice about R2 long before Starboost, yet Starboost arrived first??? That dock must really be in chaos....

Really it's on waitlist? Damn it, couple that with my order having double rewards points and I should probably keep it. Was considering canceling and picking it up later on.

I don't believe so.... :rotfl

There's actually a company called Gemini Trademark Services, NASA hasn't trademarked Gemini as far as I can see from my google searches..., thought it odd that they'd be able to trademark something they'd really have no right to. lol :)

It's not that they could legally trademark "Gemini"...but for copyright when something both visually appears like a trademarked item (the space suit) with a name that also is reference to that trademark you can be sued under IP laws. (Intellectual property)

Like if someone made a figure that looked very close to spiderman and had very similar suit and powers and on top of that they called it arachnids boy or whatever...you are going to get sued. If they did one or the other the could argue in court it's just coincidence. You can't make that claim when it both appears to be and then is called synonym of the actual product. It's not the name that's trademarked, but the space suit. When you use someone else's trademark to promote your item is when u run into trouble. And give that the trademark holder here is not only the person that makes the rules (the U.S. government) but runs the courts, pays the lawyers and controls of your product gets into the country it's a risk not worth taking. It's a risk reward situation. They pushed the limits so far but didn't want to risk the name.

It is clearly an Iron Man suit though, right? They couldn't really say anyone thought it was a NASA space suit, although I believe I read somewhere that it was supposed to be some kind of tribute to the space suit..., don't know if that was just someone's guess though?

Yes, it's an iron man suit. But what do think would happen if they slapped the bat symbol on the chest? Or the superman logo? Or if Disney didn't own marvel gave him mouse ears? It's essentially the same thing. If they made an iron man armor that had something close to the bat symbol and a cape and colored it exactly like the batsuit or a batsuit and called it the iron man batarmor they are asking for trouble. Even if they win in court they loose. It costs money to defend a lawsuit. It's just not worth the risk. Gemini was never going to happen. Because if you look at a device designed for space(no matter if it's iron man or superman or skeletor) and make it look exactly like a ripped off space suit and then call it Gemini after the Gemini space program your asking for trouble. ****, if I owned nasa and they did that I'd sue just out of principle. Make sure no one else tried it. Even if I lost I would win. As no one else would try it. nasa gets free press. And the design and/or name would change in a settlement. It costs tens of thousands of dollars to win a lawsuit. And for marvel (and/or hot toys) to keep that name and design they would have to win..for something that might make 50k in profit is that worth a name? What do you think? It doesn't matter that it's iron man. If it even APPEARS to be trademark infringement...then it might as well be. Some smaller companies wouldn't sue, some larger ones let smaller things go. But neither marvel/Disney nor the U.S. government is small. If your an American company who would be at the top of your don't piss off list? The government that controls everything.

I'm not fussed on the name myself, it doesn't matter to me if any of them have names..., it just makes them easier to remember than mark numbers. :)

Back