1/6 Hot Toys Batman: Arkham Knight - Batman (Prestige Edition)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cosbabies and video game Batman repaints. :lol

Hot Toys current trajectory for DC is just SAD. There is zero innovation. Hard to believe this is the same company that was so hyped up and praised before. They just aren?t the same.

If you are just a marvel fan or stormtrooper fan then they are heaven sent. Anything else , you?ll be lucky to see get made.

Fine with this. Been looking to pick up Arkham Knight Batman for a while, but I couldn't find him anywhere for less than $500.

That $500 price is what hot toys saw and decided to chase the money with this repaint.

I think there's two things going on here...Hot Toys is trying to DEFINITELY stretch their use of the DC license (which probably hasn't turned out so well for them with the lackluster movies which translates to lack-of-figure-sales) and they're trying to get more mileage out of the Arkham Knight mold. They did a VERY good job with the initial figure, but I don't think they've sold as well and Hot Toys probably hasn't gotten their money's worth out of it.

And it looks like they're doing what they did with the Spider-man PS4 game and leverage the various outfits to make different variations of the figure. But I'd wager to say that the PS4 Spidey outfits variations have been doing better than the Arkham Knight ones.

Why don't they kick out that Batman Forever stuff? Is WB holding them back?

I don't get the hate for repaints. There were several skins in the game and of course production costs will be greatly reduced. Makes sense for HT to do repaints and plenty of collectors buy them. Chasing money? Well yes they are a business!

They should be released in conjunction with new characters and not instead of course. If they are finally putting Batgirl up for pre-order, well that's a start. Would like to see another villain next.

Can we finally get a penguin figure. Lol now that we have this version of batman, maybe we can get a full BD version.

I don't get the hate for repaints. There were several skins in the game and of course production costs will be greatly reduced. Makes sense for HT to do repaints and plenty of collectors buy them. Chasing money? Well yes they are a business!

They should be released in conjunction with new characters and not instead of course. If they are finally putting Batgirl up for pre-order, well that's a start. Would like to see another villain next.

Of course a business is there to make money. Nothing wrong with that. It's just hot toys seem to spend too much time looking at after market prices on eBay and begrudging the dollars the scalpers are getting. They have so many properties they are under representing but chose to chase after the $$$ with reissues instead to releasing the awaited figures. Their new strategy is to just keep making more of a figure to fill wait lists without telling anyone so now when a figure remains in stock for years it doesn't mean it's a poor seller. It means hot toys keeps releasing more. Imagime if hot toys ever makes statues with their never ending edition sizes.

Cosbabies and video game Batman repaints. :lol

Hot Toys current trajectory for DC is just SAD. There is zero innovation. Hard to believe this is the same company that was so hyped up and praised before. They just aren?t the same.

What a time to be alive as a DC fan :rotfl

Batman is the big draw obviously. The best material for him lately is the Arkham games. Not sure why they haven't had more releases than the Spiderman game. Arkham Origins Suit, XE suit and Mr. Freeze are just awesome. You have the whole wealth of the Batman's villain slate. HT hasn't even done an ally til what sounds like Batgirl in a couple of weeks. Just seems odd to me. I'd love to have the Robin since we might never see a decent one on the big screen.

They could really go nuts and give us a plethora of alternate Arkham skin variants, like Prime1 was doing.

maxresdefault.jpg

latest

I'd be so happy if they made the purple suit AK Catwoman, but that'll never happen.

Of course a business is there to make money. Nothing wrong with that. It's just hot toys seem to spend too much time looking at after market prices on eBay and begrudging the dollars the scalpers are getting. They have so many properties they are under representing but chose to chase after the $$$ with reissues instead to releasing the awaited figures. Their new strategy is to just keep making more of a figure to fill wait lists without telling anyone so now when a figure remains in stock for years it doesn't mean it's a poor seller. It means hot toys keeps releasing more. Imagime if hot toys ever makes statues with their never ending edition sizes.

Well I don't see this as a reissue. Defintely a legitimate skin in the game and I personally prefer it to the original.

That doesn't mean they shouldn't be doing more new characters of course. I'm always disappointed with how slow they are to capitalize on this line and put out all the villains. Batman Returns Catwoman and numerous other figures they ignore.

No offense, but this shows a remarkable lack of understanding of how companies like this operate. It is incredibly financially bad for companies to have figures, at this price point, sitting in warehouses, unsold for years.

I can almost guarantee you that Hot Toys could care less about aftermarket ebay sales of their figures. If they reissue a figure it is most likely for a number of practical reasons:

1. The initial figure required a number of unique molds and Hot Toys didn't fully recoup the cost of the initial die production and wants to get more out of it. (Hulkbuster or almost any Iron Man figure for example.)

2. Maintaining a specific license requires them to (either from a cost or legal necessity) to produce a minimum amount of products within a period of time. For example, if they don't release a product by the end of a financial quarter, they lose the license or have to pay to re-up it. So maybe their original Arkham license was for five years, and it would automatically continue, at it's current rate, every year after that, so long as Hot Toys released a figure from that license. If not, the license would expire and Hot Toys would have to renegotiate it. This scenario could (hypothetically) see the Arkham license expiring in at the end of the first financial quarter of 2020. But there have been production issues that needed to be worked out with their Batgirl, and she won't be up for pre-order until after that date, or maybe the final ship date is the legal "sales" date, in which case that puts her into 2021. So, now, in order to maintain the current license, Hot Toys dusts off the Arkham Knight Batman, gives him a slight modification and releases him before the end of the financial quarter, thus automatically extending the license for another year in order to cover the release of Batgirl.

3. They feel they need a companion piece to build up or capitalize on sales of a figure that they are worried might not sell well, or have a such a high production cost that they are concerned about breaking even on. They release this new Bats to help promote the new Batgirl, because they worry that some people might only want a Batgirl from a series that doesn't have a lot of figures, if they have a companion Batman for her. Similar to when they reissued the Mark 43 when the HulkBuster came out.

4. There is a sudden and unexpected hole in their release schedule. Hot Toys most certainly has the next few years of figure release mapped out. But what happens when there is an unexpected delay with a figure? Their production schedule may not allow them to simply move another figure up to take its place. But they have been counting on that revenue for the quarter to maintain their current production and development rate. What do they do? They take a previous figure and reissue it, because they can quickly slot it into their production schedule and get it out and not take the financial hit.

Last edited:
They could really go nuts and give us a plethora of alternate Arkham skin variants, like Prime1 was doing.

View attachment 480089

latest

I'd be so happy if they made the purple suit AK Catwoman, but that'll never happen.

As great as this would be, I think there are quirks involved when it comes to being able to depict the various skins that are related to Batman in other media lines. For example, a Hot Toys Animated Batman 1/6th would do very well! But it was Mondo that ended up making one and not Hot Toys. "The Dark Knight Returns" could be a hot seller too, but perhaps Hot Toys is restricted by DC/WB on which Skins they are actually allowed to use. I feel like Hot Toys has to approach the licensor with their figure selection and the licensor is going to say yes/no for whatever reason (maybe the right to specific design is licensed to someone else/"Master license holder" has to approve too/etc.).

Same reason why we aren't seeing specific skins from the PS4 Spider-man line. A comic-accurate original costume Spider-man from that game would be one of Hot Toys' best sellers of the year, but there's got to be some license restriction that prevents them from doing it.

They’re making the Iron Spider and Scarlet Spider. Aren’t those specific?

I’m sure when it comes to things like the movie tie-in suits it gets hairy, but I wouldn’t think a basic comic Spider-Man would be a problem - no more than the “advanced” PS4 suit with the white spider is, since it’s the suit you start the game with - not a separate license.

Hot Toys just makes whatever appeals to them. I’m 100% sure they’re able to make the basic suit, but probably think it’s boring.

Last edited:
At the most basic level, your reskin/color variants pay for your new sculpts, designs, and figures as the reuse lends itself to a higher profit to reinvest. The only people who ever get mad about this sort of thing are the "I have it and you don't" crowd.

Plus, this is a limited release anyways. It's not even a full run. The impact on the original stands to be minimal.

If Prime 1 could release TDKR Miller Bats based of the video game skin I don't see why Hot Toys couldn't do the same.

This guy's up for PO on Sideshow already, you just have to search for him.

Back