Hot Toys Avatar: 1/6th scale Avatar Jake Sully Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Avatar: 1/6th scale Avatar Jake Sully Collectible Figure

Whats odd is that Neytiri won the poll for most popular character to be made. But they made the second most popular. So either they want to milk the license a little bit so people dont just buy up the one thing they want and be satisfied with just that. Or they are just stupid and dont want to sell as many figures.

Whats odd is that Neytiri won the poll for most popular character to be made. But they made the second most popular. So either they want to milk the license a little bit so people dont just buy up the one thing they want and be satisfied with just that. Or they are just stupid and dont want to sell as many figures.

:goodpost:

Many have said they won't get Jake unless they KNOW Neytiri is coming.

When this releases they should do what they did with Avengers and lets fans know the next figure WILL be coming, that'll boost Jake's sales i bet.

I think if they would have released Jake earlier, the people who just want Neytiri now would have purchased him..then they could have made Neytiri and everything would've been fine...but it's been what, two years and three months since Avatar came out?

To be perfectly honest, I just don't give a damn anymore. I understand that they had to develop a new body and blah blah blah for these figures but COME FREAKING ON! How long should this project have been from inception to deployment? Maybe 6 to a year MAX. This thing has been in the pipeline for so long even if Neytiri does come down the road, I'm for sure not getting Jake. Never wanted him, now for damn sure I'm not picking him up.

With HT's now entering the 1/4 scale game to dance the tango with Enterbay I can see even more of these non generic releases being pushed even farther down the tube. With as many licenses as they are pushing figures for (which seems to be just about every blockbuster movie this side of the hemisphere) I wouldn't hold my breath for anything any time soon that isn't :

A) Batman
B) Batman
c) Ironman....and the Avengers
or
D) BATMAN!!

I love batman and Ironman as much as next as the next fellow, but they are just about to milk that udder dry. If they were smart, they would put the whole batman line and stagger any releases for TDKR over the next year since fans will wait for a great figure from that license. In the mean time, get Neytiri rolling!

P.S.
Sorry for the rant, but HT's is just making some real dumb moves lately. For a company that seems to want to relate to the fans, they sure seem to be acting like a Giant corporation these days;F the fans and bring the dollars.

well still, I think the majority of Avatar fans are 'Casuals' meaning fans who are not willing to spend $100 on any collectible let alone $300. The people buying this product are the same collectors buying the all sculptures. They are very familiar with delays and the time it takes to release these kind of products. I don't think HT has lost that many potential buyers.

The only thing hurting them are all these new products that HT keeps announcing. I imagine there were a few cancellations after the Batmobile was shown. They really are stepping on their own toes

So? It's been 25 years since Batman and 27 years since Predator :dunno
You can't compare Avatar to Batman or Predator though..it isn't anywhere near their level.

If they had made Jake first, but much closer to the release of the film..people would have been more likely to buy it. Then they could have released Neytiri a bit later, the one everyone seems to want..

But now, the hype has died down so much that people seem to just want to get Neytiri and be done with it.

You can't compare Avatar to Batman or Predator though..it isn't anywhere near their level.

Not true the only thing to factor in is time.

Batman probably was lauded like mad cos it was the first (serious) Bat-Film) but Predator was hardly a million dollar franchise spawning books, sequels, figures and statues right away from the first film. It took interest and time.

Avatar has just started out and has equal potential for greatness... With time. :wave

The hype will pick back up again though once the new film gets closer to release. I bet that is why HT is taking their damn time...because they know there is more films to be made so it's no rush to get out any products. They always seem to operate that way.

At this point it's more of a "Hot Toys is proud to present the Avatar 2 license and oh yea, here is finally your Neytiri figure". They do it so they can capitalize on whatever movie has the hype at the time. It's just how they operate.

Not that I agree with their business model at all. I think they tend to make some serious missteps with some of their thinking, but I'm not the decision maker.

Batman probably was lauded like mad cos it was the first (serious) Bat-Film) but Predator was hardly a million dollar franchise spawning books, sequels, figures and statues right away from the first film. It took interest and time.

Avatar has just started out and has equal potential for greatness... With time. :wave

Ummm, dude did we forget about the comics, the novels, TONS of action figures (which I had when I was a kid) and not to forget the video games? I agree predator is NOWHERE near the same level of popularity as Batman, but it has held its own over the decades. Batman is just more cross generational, where Predator (being R-rated films and VERY violent from the start) began with a more adult audience.

Sorry for the rant, but HT's is just making some real dumb moves lately. For a company that seems to want to relate to the fans, they sure seem to be acting like a Giant corporation these days;F the fans and bring the dollars.

Dumb move? The company is heading where the money is at; Hot Toys are a business and as much as we like to think they are doing it 'for the fans' they're doing for themselves to make money.

But now, the hype has died down so much that people seem to just want to get Neytiri and be done with it.

That's my thinking.:lecture

Did it occur to anyone that maybe the initial pre-orders weren't strong enough and that may be why Sully keeps getting pushed back and why the female Navi has yet to be hinted at or shown?

Look at the beginning of this thread. Lots of "ooohs" and "aahhhhs" (and why not, it is a phenomenal piece) but these same people also state that, for as fantastic as it looks, they're not buying it. I was one of those. While I think the figure looks fantastic, there's no way I would buy it. Add the price, space issue, and the fact that Avatar has lost it's "newness" with the time it took Hot Toys to show something and also the fact that it looks like Sully here is a one and done, and they may have a very poor seller on their hands.

We don't know what's going on behind the scenes. Maybe the pre-orders have been terrible and they're taking their good old time to release it because, production wise it's a _____ to make and they're not seeing the $$$ (profit) with what little orders they have.

But that's not my point... Lotta people are saying they just want Neytiri, not Jake. If Jake had come out closer to the release of the film, more people would have bought him out of excitement and then later purchased Neytiri.

..I'm not talking about 20 years later, I'm saying that right now, it would have been better for them to release Jake closer to the film release.

Did it occur to anyone that maybe the initial pre-orders weren't strong enough and that may be why Sully keeps getting pushed back and why the female Navi has yet to be hinted at or shown?

We don't know what's going on behind the scenes. Maybe the pre-orders have been terrible and they're taking their good old time to release it because, production wise it's a _____ to make and they're not seeing the $$$ (profit) with what little orders they have.

All I know is that if he doesn't get released there will be a few unhappy Avatar fans.:explode:

You guys act like they had the Jake proto ready and waiting and HT was just hiding it. The thing wasn't done. First they had to figure how to do it, create a brand new body, decide to use rubber or plastic, have sculpted or braided hair. And this was sculpted by Joseph tsang, before he even started, he had to do Ghost rider Berserker Falconer Tracker/Hell hound Classic. One guy doing all that. It takes time.

Also remember they released Thor while the film was still in theaters, and some people complained it felt rushed - Beacuse it was ! Its not always a smart move

Movie came out two years three months ago. What they are delivering is a 18 inch tall action figure with what I assume will be a spectacular paint job and pretty standard articulation for 315 bucks. They did not recreate the wheel. They did not even refine it. R&D??? It has the same articulation as the four inch figures released in December 2009. I was stoked when it was announced. Then forgot about it. Was stoked again when revealed. Then interest faded again. Now 27 months after Avatar has come and gone 315 seems like way to much for my second choice figure in my third favorite look of the film. With two sequels coming and HT new trend of rereleasing and redoing figures I am not worried about missing this. And if it is a one and done I don't want it anyway.
Man that was way more negative then I intended. Sorry :(

Back