Hot Toys - Aquaman - Aquaman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is it ,i thought it was the ganghood bane clone that they used ,yeah the visible joint aren't perfect but hopefully the tattoos and armour distract from them in hand

No Artfigures doesn't use the Ganghood/Bane type body though they have a similar one (not as big) that they've used for Vin Diesel, Antonio Banderas and Jean Claude Van Damme. The body on the Atlas figure has been used on their comicbook styled Punisher and Death Stroke figures as well as their take on Ares, which is really just a dude with helmet in overalls :lol it's very blocky body. I have no problem with visible joints, I just don't like the body they chose when they have a better detailed and realistic on at their disposal.

here is a better image:
https://toyanxiety.com/aidol-four-ares-nude-body-see-note/

You guys [emoji15]
From Huang Wu on Facebook.

0e69fe82a61407a3deff3274fb96f33f.jpg

I appreciate his reviews. Do I always agree? No, but it is always cool to get that early look.

As for this Aquaman, while it is a good looking figure, a few things do scream "short cut" That repuposed stand from Sith Anakin. The reuse is fine, but why even have the battery box if no lighting is included. And why not include lighting? Everything in Atlantis featured a bio-luminous look so why not have a stand that features this? It would have really enhanced the look of the figure on display.

The body proportions look better on the JL version...he's looking almost bloated here, especially those thunder thighs. And sorry, the belt with it's oversized buckle and stiff looking back flap look really cheap. Some gradation or distinctive finish similar to the gold top would have tied it in better and not made it loot so toy-like.
Same goes for the trident. It just looks cheap. The re-used portrait is okay, but it would have been nice if the hair was sculpted a little differently.

The packaging is gorgeous but the figure has a slight whiff of "let's get it out the door". Maybe more photos and additional reviews will change that perception...we'll see.

Last edited:
I think you mis-worded that, Not many can afford "every" $250 toy, as in he gets basically
every single figure Hot Toys puts out. Whether he pays for them or gets them as part of whatever deal he
has in place is his business.

Being "grateful" for X thing being well done when Y and Z things are not great is just pandering.
Justin just seems to give full lip service to Hot Toys in 95% of his reviews. He even nulls his criticisms by saying
"don't get me wrong, Z thing is not great, but I still appreciate it".
How about, Z thing is done piss poor, Hot Toys needs to step it up to meet the bar of expectations that THEY set themselves?

To each his own, but I would not review that way, because I don't feel that way about every figure they produce or even all the ones I own. I also do not have the money or time to buy and review that many figures.

I would compliment things that are amazing if I were a reviewer, sure... But making everything sound amazing and HT "nailing" everything makes nothing seem wrong at all, even when there are clear mis-steps.

I would refer to Endgame Cap's bizarre broken shield. In his D23 review, Justin made it sound like no big deal, or mis-communication between Hot Toys and Marvel Studios. Sorry, but it is a big deal at the price point. It looks stupid they way they cut it! They may listen and fix it, I truly hope they do. But if the final Endgame Cap shield comes out exactly like the D23 one I would be reaming them out in a review and making it honest. Not kissing their ass.

The fact that we are paying Hot Toys for their product is gratitude enough, IMO.
I love what the company produces and think their crew does amazing work... that being said,
I don't appreciate things they do well, I expect it at the price point they are asking.
That's what we are all paying for. Huge difference there.

I mean, that's the way he wants to review it. Its his review video and its his personality.

If you're going to criticize his content, just put yourself out there and start your own review videos.
I wouldnt be surprised if you start getting criticized.

End of the day, just watch it for what it is, someone's video about their subjective opinion.

I think i can relate to justin's positive vibes on most of the figures he reviews , which I'd probably pin down to a combination of excitement and hype on receiving and unboxing a brand new figure, and his tolerance level for a "perfect figure", i.e. he doesn't need the figure to be completely perfect to like it. And sometimes, figures really do look different in-hand and in pictures.

Personal case in point : popular opinion of HT TWS Captain America is that it was a figure that was poorly done, and pictures certainly justify that thought. In spite of my initial rage (who wouldn't when the final product so profoundly differs for the worse from the proto) , I found myself to quite like the figure once i received it in hand, though I did sell it off eventually to fund another figure that i wanted. Likewise for BvS WW, whose sculpt looks like barbie in almost 95% of all pictures i saw on the net. But in-hand, I have to say I am genuinely impressed with it because under natural lighting, I thought it looked great and life-like, and imo better than the JL version.

I've always liked Justin's videos and appreciate his thoughts. To me, he never comes across as someone having any intention of pandering to HT (don't think he has any motive to anyway?) but just someone who genuinely enjoys collecting. I only wonder what his day-to-day job is though, because I myself would love to be able to build a HT collection like his :panic:.

No Artfigures doesn't use the Ganghood/Bane type body though they have a similar one (not as big) that they've used for Vin Diesel, Antonio Banderas and Jean Claude Van Damme. The body on the Atlas figure has been used on their comicbook styled Punisher and Death Stroke figures as well as their take on Ares, which is really just a dude with helmet in overalls :lol it's very blocky body. I have no problem with visible joints, I just don't like the body they chose when they have a better detailed and realistic on at their disposal.

here is a better image:
https://toyanxiety.com/aidol-four-ares-nude-body-see-note/

oh crikey lol :slap
i see what you mean ,its not great is it ,oh well maybe a body swap and a shirt to cover up the lack of tattoos is in my future lol

I will say one thing, he certainly "appreciates" a lot of things, lol.

One thing with Aquaman is that they went from a badly cut torso to a solid brick of one...
Surely there could have been some happy medium there?
The belt and that back armor piece do look way too flat plastic-y for a HT figure.

What would be the happy medium? I definitely prefer this solution over the cuts in the suit the JL version has. If I want that extreme visible cuts in the armor I would get a $20 action figure.

I haven?t read the whole thread and Justin did not mention this in his review but neither of his gripping hands actually grip the trident. I don?t want to say anything more before I establish that it?s not just my figure that had this rather glaring issue.

So to anyone else with this figure, is this an issue with yours also oh am I just unlucky?

I haven?t read the whole thread and Justin did not mention this in his review but neither of his gripping hands actually grip the trident. I don?t want to say anything more before I establish that it?s not just my figure that had this rather glaring issue.

So to anyone else with this figure, is this an issue with yours also oh am I just unlucky?

Actually, Justin did mention that the hands were very stiff and it was almost impossible to get the trident in them without scratching the paint (see @12:30 mark). So it's not just you.

Finally said screw it and ordered mine. If a better one comes out for Aquaman 2 that won?t be for at least a few years and in the interim, I really want this guy. The only thing I really don?t like is the hair, so if it bugs me that much I may end up just getting it rooted.

Last edited:
I mean, that's the way he wants to review it. Its his review video and its his personality.

If you're going to criticize his content, just put yourself out there and start your own review videos.
I wouldnt be surprised if you start getting criticized.

End of the day, just watch it for what it is, someone's video about their subjective opinion.

Why is this always the response to people giving negative feedback on Justin's reviews? The ability for others to put themselves out there and do their own videos does not make their opinions on Justin being a bad reviewer any less valid. To his credit, Justin has gotten a little better and I watch his reviews to get a sense of in-hand likeness.

I think what rubs people the bad way for Justin is (1) although never confirmed, he seems to have a conflicted interest in giving a completely unbiased review through sponsorship (anyone else hear him mention Phillip Liu every review?) or something (which he should mention in either case one way or another) and (2) he calls himself a reviewer yet turns a blind eye to most issues that other reviewers catch on to. You can talk about him being excited as a collector or what not, but his videos are titled "reviews" not "reactions". Also if we are being honest, he gets a lot of his views because he manages to get his figures earlier than most other non-chinese reviewers.

I'm definitley getting this. And I'll have the hair rooted so it looks even better.

If you want accuracy, you have to pay through the nose nowadays.

The Queen Studios 1/2 scale statue looks near perfect.

09F6F850-E294-4BB4-BFCA-7A66585A36B8.jpeg

F38BF164-8CBC-4D58-9105-BB5B0C856DDA.jpeg

A0DB1140-D3AA-43A6-83AA-8296C04D9F01.jpeg

CF1ABEB2-D1A6-44B9-ABC8-C8FA75528293.jpeg

2EF1ABEE-2A80-4C72-B710-632163F692ED.jpeg

Actually, Justin did mention that the hands were very stiff and it was almost impossible to get the trident in them without scratching the paint (see @12:30 mark). So it's not just you.

Sorry but you missunderstand. The hands do NOT grip the trident when you put them in. I actually don't think getting them into the hands is even an issue. He cannot hold the trident without slipping up and down and all overthe place while still in his hand. The opening on both of his hands are too wide to grip the staff. This is a big issue for me as the basic thing a figure needs to do is to hold their weapons.
Am I the only one with this issue? Surely I am not where both hands are not tight enough? Looking at Justin's photo I can see gaps in this hands as he holds the trident so it's odd he didn't mention that. Unless of course I am totally wrong in which case fine. It means I can return my faulty figure.

Also the right elbow on mine will not stay bent at 45 degrees. The left elbow will but not the right. And this really pisses me off as I want that poster stance. I did see that Justin does not have this issue as it's clear both his arms bend and hold the position fine.

Silicone skin, real hair, 1/2 scale, not much change from $3k...a bit silly expecting the HT version to be anywhere near that. That said re-using a head sculpt that wasn't very good in the first place is pretty unforgivable on HT part.

Oh and I for one will not being giving this figure pass on The HotToycast. To me this is the worst figure they have made in a long time. I am saying this as someone who loves the look in this figure. He's here beside me and I flippen love how he looks...then I pick him up and I cannot pose him, you cannot move his arms up despite that previous photo (which is an upward shot and you cannot see how his shoulder looks), you cannot have him grip the trident tightly like at all and the base is a bit rubbish to be honest. This is the most limited figure since Captain Phasma and at that she could at least hold her stuff.

Again, it looks truly awesome but as an action figure it's a mad failure in my opinion. I'll go onto more details on the podcast.

Sorry but you missunderstand. The hands do NOT grip the trident when you put them in. I actually don't think getting them into the hands is even an issue. He cannot hold the trident without slipping up and down and all overthe place while still in his hand. The opening on both of his hands are too wide to grip the staff. This is a big issue for me as the basic thing a figure needs to do is to hold their weapons.
Am I the only one with this issue? Surely I am not where both hands are not tight enough? Looking at Justin's photo I can see gaps in this hands as he holds the trident so it's odd he didn't mention that. Unless of course I am totally wrong in which case fine. It means I can return my faulty figure.

Also the right elbow on mine will not stay bent at 45 degrees. The left elbow will but not the right. And this really pisses me off as I want that poster stance. I did see that Justin does not have this issue as it's clear both his arms bend and hold the position fine.

Ah, my bad. I misinterpreted what you were saying. Yes, that would be a bummer if he can't hold the trident. I was going to suggest a small piece of clear tape on the trident under his hand, but if his elbow won't stay in position you probably will need to exchange it. Any chance either the forearm or upper arm isn't completely seated at the elbow joint? It seems unlikely but if you haven't already done so, maybe straighten the arm and push down on it to be sure.

Back