Hot Toys - Aquaman - Aquaman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Totally unacceptable. I get that some people buy the figures to play with first and foremost with looks coming a distant second but I am not one of them. I might as well buy a cheap action figure and save myself a ton of money if I am going to be buying a figure with exposed joints.

If you can never accept any exposed joints at all wouldn't statues be more suitable?

Also I don't think occasionally reposing counts as playing with them.

Gimme Black Manta

859785AE-70B0-46AD-8A59-060DB9D9724E.jpeg

If you can never accept any exposed joints at all wouldn't statues be more suitable?

Also I don't think occasionally reposing counts as playing with them.

No statues won't be more suitable. I don't think Hot Toys should bend over backwards to please the dolly players by putting exposed joints on figures when there is a choice. Figures like Hulk and Drax it can't be helped but with other figures there is a choice.

I think it could just be the Hot Toys figure that’s ugly. It’s so rubbery and bloated, and probably a rush job so they could have something at SDCC. There was another statue of that suit that looked awesome.

EDIT: Yep, I found it.

1125x682_previewbanner_903802_AquamanStatue.jpg

Last edited:
No statues won't be more suitable. I don't think Hot Toys should bend over backwards to please the dolly players by putting exposed joints on figures when there is a choice. Figures like Hulk and Drax it can't be helped but with other figures there is a choice.

If you only pose once, don't re-pose them, and don't want any exposed joints at all then, yes, statues would be more suitable for you. You basically described just that.

Totally unacceptable. I get that some people buy the figures to play with first and foremost with looks coming a distant second but I am not one of them. I might as well buy a cheap action figure and save myself a ton of money if I am going to be buying a figure with exposed joints.

Unacceptable for you maybe, but I think it could work just fine. The symmetrical pattern of his shoulder tattoos would allow for them to still look good when his arms are repositioned, so they wouldn't have the same misalignment issue you have with Drax (for example). They could even cheat a bit on the tattoo positioning to align one of the black arcs with the shoulder seam.

momoa11.jpg

We finally get a Aquaman with comic accurate colors and the trolls come crawling out of the woodwork.

I have no issue with the colors, just the execution. Lose the corn-on-the-cob top, give him the shoulder armor from the original BvS promo pic (Hey, that covers 50% of those exposed joints!) and make it plus the gauntlets primarily gold in color. Now that I would order on day one. It also would likely be much easier to pose than the SDCC figure.

aquaman-4-720x720.jpg

Unacceptable for you maybe, but I think it could work just fine. The symmetrical pattern of his shoulder tattoos would allow for them to still look good when his arms are repositioned, so they wouldn't have the same misalignment issue you have with Drax (for example). They could even cheat a bit on the tattoo positioning to align one of the black arcs with the shoulder seam.

View attachment 418758

I have no issue with the colors, just the execution. Lose the corn-on-the-cob top, give him the shoulder armor from the original BvS promo pic (Hey, that covers 50% of those exposed joints!) and make it plus the gauntlets primarily gold in color. Now that I would order on day one. It also would likely be much easier to pose than the SDCC figure.

View attachment 418762

50% less exposed joints has no impact as far as I am concerned. Might as well be 100% exposed. Your post seem to illustrate my point. Looks are secondary to posing the figure.. I would not even consider the version you posted.

Are people not seeing the cut joint in the arms? I don’t think any of the Batman figures have this.

77c056f71218282225505abe25c34e52.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

50% less exposed joints has no impact as far as I am concerned. Might as well be 100% exposed. Your post seem to illustrate my point. Looks are secondary to posing the figure.. I would not even consider the version you posted.

Why are you so vehemently opposed to exposed joints? Don't get me wrong, I'd rather not see the joints either, but if one well camouflaged exposed joint results in a figure that's a vast improvement (IMO), I think that's an acceptable trade-off.

It turns out that the BvS outfit that Mamoa wore for the promo art (& I suppose the brief video clip that Luthor had of him in the movie?) actually had the color combo I suggested earlier. Only saw the b&w version previously. There was even a toy released. :lol

aquaman_bvs2.jpg

BvS-Aquaman.jpg

Are people not seeing the cut joint in the arms? I don’t think any of the Batman figures have this.

77c056f71218282225505abe25c34e52.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That would be very stupid of hot toys to have a cut in the armor there but they have done stupid things before.

Back