1/6 Hot Toys AOTC - C-3PO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From a business perspective it's a smart move on HT's part to make the AOTC before an OT one. Builds up the anticipation and we'll get every version of the character. I really like it! I'd be even more interested in a 1/4 C-3PO without his coverings from TPM. Hasbro made one back in 2000, but the electronics made him too bulky.

One thing I dislike about most C-3PO collectibles is that due to the electronic eyes he always looks shut off unless you keep the lights turned on.
HT should include brightly colored, non-electronically lit up eyes to exchange the translucent ones with.

I'm part of the remaining 1% then. Not that i wouldn't love a Hot Toys OT 3PO but i'm glad HT are testing waters with this version. Having Tamashi's version in the shelves also help being patient i guess.

Does look really good though.
From Instagram:
638e9f0f37d16f351ef6642bea61f536.jpg

I always did kind of like this version of 3PO - almost like his Bespin blown-apart body was reassembled with all the burn marks uncleaned.

Though for some reason the headsculpt on this version doesn't look as good/accurate as the TFA version they showed a few years ago (which was terrific.) Which is odd, because you'd assume it's just the exact same sculpt painted differently. Though it's possible it isn't - Sideshow routinely resculpts stuff like teh Han blaster even though they have the mold for the previous version.

The pic above could almost be of a 6 inch black series fig, though maybe it's the slightly soft focus that's doing that.

I also think it's funny that Tamashii got a TON of flak for its "fat" pistons on the arms yet the HT pistons are inaccurately fatter than the costume as well, even if they aren't quite as fat as the Tama ones.

Are there significant differences in the head between the OT and the Disney movies?

I don't think so (not sure on the OT vs PT 3PO facemask.) There are minor differences over the suit though - a few extra sculpted details, minor stuff. As well as the TFA version being noticeably "fatter" to accomodate Daniels' older physique (though it's really only because he was so really skinny in the 1970's.)

As far as I know, the facemask is the same though. I'm not sure why this one looks different from the TFA version shown a couple of years ago. Maybe it's just the combo of heavy weathering and the slightly blurry pic that's making it look different though.

Just the fact that a company like HT made by far the most annoying and lame version of the character in painstaking state of the art detail almost gives it a kitschy charm dammit. I'm just imagining how hilarious it would be to have *this* version as my one 3PO figure sitting on my desk while I work every day, lol.

Unless they had several TFA prototypes, i doubt it. I bet Howard keep those treasures safe.

I don't have much interest in any 3PO figure, but the naked one from TPM would look good on a shelf. Also the broken one on Chewie's back would be good too. Although they need to make a good Chewie first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

This looks like one of those "convention filler" figures that will probably never see the light of day as a PO.

Is it just me or does it look like they just repainted the TFA prototype. Look at the left arm; looks like is has a red undercoat.

I thought this at first. Looking at the TFA C3PO he has more of an adult diaper look [emoji85]

bcd622415774a569a3cf2fc27c846da3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was the only figure I found appealing at SDCC. Problem is I only collect OT so it looks like after I receive my ESB Fett and Emperor I am done until something new of interest and price point pop up! Not sure if you can call it “savings” because the price of a figure will be double what it is now when something of interest pops up!!

Back