Hot Toys Announce Batman Returns License

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
giphy.gif

I always know to skip the Show your Entire Batman collection thread. The content is quite predictable. Nolan Nolan Nolan.
Yeah, for the most part it is. :monkey4

I'm periodically curious though, because you have guys like Sallah posting great pics of his cool non Nolan stuff.

I'd love to see a totally "Batman" collection. Nolan, Burton, West, TAS; you name it. Just all of the Caped Crusader's greatest hits.

I'd love to see a totally "Batman" collection. Nolan, Burton, West, TAS; you name it. Just all of the Caped Crusader's greatest hits.
That's what the existing thread was intended for, I believe. :lol

Like a-dev, nerd mega obsession eroded my tolerance for Nolan collectibles. All I've got, are the HT BRJ & the 1:18 scale Hotwheels Tumbler.

Just waiting for HT to do a LOS Wayne & I'm done with the Nolancompoopery. :yess:

That's what the existing thread was intended for, I believe. :lol

Like a-dev, nerd mega obsession eroded my tolerance for Nolan collectibles. All I've got, are the HT BRJ & the 1:18 scale Hotwheels Tumbler.

Just waiting for HT to do a LOS Wayne & I'm done with the Nolancompoopery. :yess:

Maybe it's just me, but, when I hear that, the first thing that pops into my mind is "that's really messed up." Point is, I'm never going to let other people dictate my appreciation for something, for better or worse. I love Batman. I loved Nolan's Trilogy, I loved Burton's films, and The Animated Series and the 1966 Television Show were Keystones in my childhood. The character is far greater than any one interpretation, but I don't think an interpretation; specifically, a good one; should be discounted because of a distaste for people who like it. I think people need to let go of their hatred for fandoms and just appreciate the films for what they are.

Maybe it's just me, but, when I hear that, the first thing that pops into my mind is "that's really messed up." Point is, I'm never going to let other people dictate my appreciation for something, for better or worse. I love Batman. I loved Nolan's Trilogy, I loved Burton's films, and The Animated Series and the 1966 Television Show were Keystones in my childhood. The character is far greater than any one interpretation, but I don't think an interpretation; specifically, a good one; should be discounted because of a distaste for people who like it. I think people need to let go of their hatred for fandoms and just appreciate the films for what they are.

Its the fixation on Nolan's films particularly from these fans, over all else (even other Batman), that grates. And the absolute domination it holds in the customs arena too. The way so many of the best customisers turned their attention on it and now they do pretty much nothing else because the obsessive demand for Nolan Batman stuff keeps them in the money and at work on a continual basis. So there's a kind of jealousy and resentment there to be honest. It was also off-putting when I was collecting Nolan stuff myself, nothing stock was good enough, the definitive collection always had to be custom this custom that. Over in the A&R section what HT gives us is what we have. We can alternate parts from one figure to another but its all stock stuff, easily acquired. Nolan Batfans seem to hold everything to a higher standard and that is bizarre and somewhat irritating to others. Having said that, they did actually persuade me in a lot of cases, it made me dissatisfied with what I had and yet I couldn't afford to dive on every custom like everyone else was so I just dumped it all and TDKR being crap made me feel vindicated in having done so. Collecting Burton Batman stuff has been a breath of fresh air comparatively. I don't see that scenario repeating here.

Last edited:
I agree that some Nolan Batman fans can be that way but not all. To be honest I find just as many who are so fixated on the two Burton films and find it equally annoying. I love pretty much all versions of Batman to some extent. The only incarnations of Batman I don't care for as much are Batman Returns (Burton had too much control over the film and made too much of a Tim Burton freak show film rather than an actual Batman film) and Batman & Robin (just too damn campy for it's own good and hard to watch). I love The Dark Knight Trilogy but at the same time am a huge fan of the classic Adam West/Burt Ward Batman series as well as Burton's original Batman and of course Batman: The Animated Series.

Batman Returns (Burton had too much control over the film and made too much of a Tim Burton freak show film rather than an actual Batman film)

Agree, but still, some could say the same about TDKR. i.e. "Nolan had way too much control and made it with his usual aesthetics rather than an actual Batman film"

Nolan should have told TDKR in reverse. Then instead of it ending with Bruce being a quitter we would have seen him, oh wait, still not being Batman. Nevermind.

Let me clarify.. :lol

Yes - as I said, I'm not that fussed with the Nolan stuff these days. Of course I like the films - & the collectibles to an extent, but yeah. Maybe if I wasn't coming HERE all the time, I'd have had far less exposure to all the focus on that trilogy, & I'd be looking at it all with different eyes. The DC section is flooded with umpteen Nolan threads - there's no balance. It's that simple.

Besides - I like small focused themed collections anyway. I like Nolan's trilogy - yep.

Do I need more than a few key pieces that represent the films to enjoy? Nope.

Back