Hot Toys Announce Batman Returns License

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This likely won't happen for a good long HT while.

You guys should start getting acquainted with the idea of just saving all those future 'coming soon' banners to your pic folders, & collect those instead. :lol

Don't worry with all the moaning and groaning about what is right and wrong with the prototype figure then I'm sure that year will fly past. :lecture

Mime Joker took a lot less than that - maybe 6 months?

The Burtonites aren't as fussy as the Nolanites I don't think. Or Hot Toys genuinely managed to nail in single attempt the Keaton Batman and Nicholson Jokers they've made so far and yet keep coming up short with Bale and Ledger time after time.

Hot Toys had become the rising star at the point they started with the TDK line - and while they were the best on the market, there was still a lot of room for improvement at the time. By the time the 1989 figures came out, I think they'd reached their pinnacle, so they were able to get it right on the first swing.

The Burtonites aren't as fussy as the Nolanites I don't think. Or Hot Toys genuinely managed to nail in single attempt the Keaton Batman and Nicholson Jokers they've made so far and yet keep coming up short with Bale and Ledger time after time.

It pretty much comes down to the latter. If you look at the reception to the 1/4 scale Bale compared to the 1/6th version, I'd say the amount of acclaim for that figure is probably about equal to the DX 09, with a few exceptions. The point is, when they nail something, they nail it, but when they miss the mark, you can tell. Even the DX 11, though it had its detractors, seems like one of the best Ledger figures out there. End of the day, I think Nolan fans get a bad rap. I don't think it's that all of them want total perfection, so much as it's that they want a Bale and/or Ledger figure that is comparable in quality to the Keaton and West and Nicholson offerings, and so forth.

This likely won't happen for a good long HT while.

You guys should start getting acquainted with the idea of just saving all those future 'coming soon' banners to your pic folders, & collect those instead. :lol

I am collecting empty promises... So Hot Toys is really keeping my habit going right now! ;)

I still hold out hope that one day these will materialize. If it does, Catwoman better have a switch-out "licking" face plate to re-enact these:

(And yes... I could literally watch those 2 gifs all day.)

Sallah

That's not exactly true. Both groups get fussy about their figures, there is just a larger quantity of Nolan product out there, so of course there is more discussion about hits and misses with Nolan product. But Burton product fans can be just as fussy. When DX09 was released, the praise for it was virtually unanimous...until the NECA Batman was revealed and released, and Burton fans started pointing out ways it more accurately represented Keaton Bats than the DX09 did. Then the SS PF was revealed, and then more imperfections with the previous attempts were highlighted.

It pretty much comes down to the latter. If you look at the reception to the 1/4 scale Bale compared to the 1/6th version, I'd say the amount of acclaim for that figure is probably about equal to the DX 09, with a few exceptions. The point is, when they nail something, they nail it, but when they miss the mark, you can tell. Even the DX 11, though it had its detractors, seems like one of the best Ledger figures out there. End of the day, I think Nolan fans get a bad rap. I don't think it's that all of them want total perfection, so much as it's that they want a Bale and/or Ledger figure that is comparable in quality to the Keaton and West and Nicholson offerings, and so forth.

Well said batfan. I'm a fan of both the Nolan and Burton universes with a preference for Nolan's, but if I was to only judge the HT figures on their looks/quality/accuracy (irrespective of what I think of the movies), I admit that out of the box with ZERO mods, the 1/6 Keaton Batman is more accurate to my eye of how he appears on film than HT's best 1/6 Bale Batman is. I agree with you that the 1/4 Bale is much more closely comparable to the DX09, but at that scale, of course it should look great. That gets me thinking, if Hot Toys' 1/6 DX09 looked that good, how great would a Hot Toys QS 89 (or 92) Keaton Batman look?

That's not exactly true. Both groups get fussy about their figures, there is just a larger quantity of Nolan product out there, so of course there is more discussion about hits and misses with Nolan product. But Burton product fans can be just as fussy. When DX09 was released, the praise for it was virtually unanimous...until the NECA Batman was revealed and released, and Burton fans started pointing out ways it more accurately represented Keaton Bats than the DX09 did. Then the SS PF was revealed, and then more imperfections with the previous attempts were highlighted.

And yet CREGcustoms and Rorywan aren't being endlessly bombarded with commissions for replacement Keaton cowls and Nicholson Joker heads.

And yet CREGcustoms and Rorywan aren't being endlessly bombarded with commissions for replacement Keaton cowls and Nicholson Joker heads.

Because nobody cares about Keaton Batman or Nicholson Joker with Bale Batman and Ledger Joker around.

Any non-Nolan Batman collectibles are niche items. The majority want the Nolan Batman stuff.

Because nobody cares about Keaton Batman or Nicholson Joker with Bale Batman and Ledger Joker around.

Any non-Nolan Batman collectibles are niche items. The majority want the Nolan Batman stuff.

It angers me that you are correct. Although....my wallet is thankful.

...in fact, that is all I care about when it comes to live action film versions of Batman & Joker. :)

Sallah

https://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b432/greenpenguino/starwars_anewhope_1.jpg

...in fact, that is all I care about when it comes to live action film versions of Batman & Joker. :)

Sallah

Of course you do, you're a dirty, stinkin' "admitted" Burtonite!

It angers me that you are correct. Although....my wallet is thankful.

5 bucks says we'll see another Bale/Ledger/Nolan Batman product before anything else. DX Joker 3.0 is probably more imminent than the Returns line. :lol

Of course you do, you're a dirty, stinkin' "admitted" Burtonite!

5 bucks says we'll see another Bale/Ledger/Nolan Batman product before anything else. DX Joker 3.0 is probably more imminent than the Returns line. :lol

I'd say, depending on how the final armory comes out, they could still milk three or four TDK suits.:lol

MMS 288-The Dark Knight-Batman(Hong Kong version) with new likeness of Christian Bale, all new cowl taken from original facial scans of the actor, a unique diorama base, and an alternate "gliding cape" with flight stand

MMS DX 17-The Dark Knight-Batman(Final Battle version) with four new faceplates, two all new cowls taken from Christian Bale's facial scans, newly sculpted PERS feature capturing Batman's special piercing looks, all-new light-up feature, and newly developed gauntlets with projectile action feature

MMS DX 22-The Dark Knight Rises-Batman(RISE version) with four newly developed faceplates, EMP gun with superior light-up function, an exclusive painting technique that authentically captures the water droplets and streams from his sewer encounter, and an exclusive Bruce Wayne figure with authentic and newly developed Christian Bale likeness, expertly hand painted hair and beard details, and a newly tailored Prison costume

:lol

Both right. If there had been a company producing HT-level Batman collectibles in 1989...and the internet was as ubiquitous then as it is now so Batman fan collectors had a messageboard anything like this back then...I'd bet my last dollar that the hysteria surrounding the Burton Batman products (praise AND nitpicking AND demand for custom commissions to take them to the "next level") would be leagues beyond anything we've experienced from the most hard core nitpickers among the Nolan fans.

It's just about timing. Products based on the Nolan trilogy benefited from the perfect storm of being released at a time when highly-detailed collectibles were becoming more popular and widely accessible than ever before, (not to mention the internet making worldwide communication and the selling/trading of that product much easier than it was in 1989). But even with all of the volume of Nolan product (and discussion/nitpicking/moaning) about that product, it PALES in comparison to the Batmania of 1989. Could you imagine this board if it (and Hot Toys Batman stuff of this quality) existed back then? I have no doubt it would be much more intense than even the highest moments of Nolan fan hype in 2007/2008.

Back