Hot Toys- 300 - King Leonidas spec and pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
close but no cigar. i'd chalk leonidas in the company of blade, connor, marcus & silk spectre.

it's a good company to be in, but it's certainly not in the same rank as BR joker, cannibal jack & godfather. there's a thin line between a great looking sculpt and an art.

I really don't see what you guys are on about in terms of the likeness with this, I can clearly see Butler in the sculpt, I mean, it just IS there to me.

This is just like the Wolverine sculpt. Looks ok, but just isn't really the actor, but a great looking figure. But isn't that really how all the HT's figures are. Connor was good but not quite. Marcus the same. Stark not even close. HT makes some pretty amazing figures, but have yet to truly capture the face of anyone. Don't miss understand, HT is just incredible, but maybe we want to much?

Yeah, I think we are expecting too much. Find me a sculptor anywhere in the world that will gets a face 100% spot on.

This is an easy fix. The sculptor got the basics right I think. The right shapes are there.

His eye need to be bigger and whiter basically. They also look a little too aged. Butler was all about the intense eyes.
Whiten those eyes and ad some darker eyeliner below should make for some compensation.

I cannot wait for this figure! :)

I'd say in a few cases they captured the likeness pretty close to perfect but I would also agree in most cases there's this slightly generic quality (usually imo they don't get the eye shape right) to a good number of their sculpts. Let us not forget these are one sixth the size of the real person and are sculpted from photos and the like. They don't start with actor scans or anything like that not do they have the person in front of them.

Yeah, I think we are expecting too much. Find me a sculptor anywhere in the world that will gets a face 100% spot on.

This is an easy fix. The sculptor got the basics right I think. The right shapes are there.

His eye need to be bigger and whiter basically. They also look a little too aged. Butler was all about the intense eyes.
Whiten those eyes and ad some darker eyeliner below should make for some compensation.

I cannot wait for this figure! :)

Trevor Grove.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. His Indy is good... not perfect and some of his other sculpts are pretty far off imo... but then again I'm not the best at judging likeness.

Trevor Grove.

Yeah, he's flippen amazing, but he's sill not 100% accurate, it's still interpritation.

Tony Stark on Iron Man Mark 1 is a good example of HT missing the beat a bit, bit it's till a good face.
For our sakes, yes we should give the lads at Hot Toy some constructive critisims when nessessary, but I don't think Leonidas here deserves it quite as much as this and we should be realsitic as to how difficult get faces right in 3D sculpt (let alone 2D) is.
There is only one Trevor Grove after all.

This is one of those rare times that Sideshow did a better job than Hot Toys. Leonidas PF is amazing and the likeness spot on, but I thnk HT likeness is not as good, although it is a great figure....

101_2700.jpg

The pose on the SSC statue is really awkward to me and the level of detail on the HT seems much higher (you can really see it in the hair) especially considering the size difference.

Think it's a bit unfair to compare the SS PF with the HT figure. Both different types of collectibles.

The pose on the SSC Leonidas is what kills it for me. I know they were going for a classic renaissance David type pose, but in a modern world it just looks fruity.
If I were gay, this statue would be perfect for me but as us straight guys are already buying a semi naked dude, a more masculine pose would've been the wiser move.

This is one of those rare times that Sideshow did a better job than Hot Toys. Leonidas PF is amazing and the likeness spot on, but I thnk HT likeness is not as good, although it is a great figure....

101_2700.jpg

Contrapposto when done right looks good. That is not done right. The balance is all wrong. He should be leaning all his weight on his right leg but instead it's on his left giving him that "about to fall over" look.

Well to me , when I first saw the PF I thought it looked like he had to take a piss and he was waiting in line or something. And I thought, 'Why should the king have to wait?" but then i realized, because he's a noble king. :monkey3

Also his stomach looks kinda flabby

This figure is a must buy for me. I'm a huge fan of the movie and the graphic novel so this will go great with my collection.

I was listening to Just Like You Imagined when I saw the thread and opened it. Instant buy.

Back