Hot Toys 1/6 - Hellboy (2019) MMS527

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something about the elongated chin of this new design that I have an issue with. Not very Hellboy-like.

Hellboy_2.jpg

Big fan of the Hellboy comic. Huge Guillermo Del Toro fan and love his two Hellboy films. This movie looks like and from most reports is a dumpster fire of near unwatchable levels...in spite of all of this the figure looks so good that I am tempted to pick it up and just consider it to be a Hot Toys "reinterpretation" of the Ron Perlman Hellboy. By the time the figure comes out it will probably be the only evidence that this movie ever even existed anyway.

Being a fan of the Hellboy graphic novels, I wouldn't say the film is "unwatchable". It captures much of the favor of Mignola's style of storytelling which I appreciated. If you go in with low expectations, you might just find the film to be surprisingly fun at times. Unfortunately, the whole film feels like it was all done on the cheap. Perhaps they were following a more conservative business model, like the Resident Evil films, hoping for a longer run than the Del Toro films.

Being a fan of the Hellboy graphic novels, I wouldn't say the film is "unwatchable". It captures much of the favor of Mignola's style of storytelling which I appreciated. If you go in with low expectations, you might just find the film to be surprisingly fun at times. Unfortunately, the whole film feels like it was all done on the cheap. Perhaps they were following a more conservative business model, like the Resident Evil films, hoping for a longer run than the Del Toro films.
There was rumors that the production had 14 producers and that they fired Marshals director of photography. So if that's true it shows. But I'm just glad we got a figure.

My catch is that in addition to being a fan of comic books, action figures, etc I am also a big fan of cinema as an art form. I can indulge in some cinematic guilty pleasures here and there but my tolerance for flat out poor cinema is on the lower side.

Man i was really hoping that with Guillermo Del Toro and Mignola Working this that we would get a more r rated serious Hellboy movie. Such a disappointment. I will still watch it and i do want a figure, just a shame.

Man i was really hoping that with Guillermo Del Toro and Mignola Working this that we would get a more r rated serious Hellboy movie. Such a disappointment. I will still watch it and i do want a figure, just a shame.
What do you mean by that? Del toro didn't direct this film at least if that's what your saying?

^ I didn't say he directed it. I believe he consulted only.
I don't believe he was involved. Neil Marshall and Mignola were the only ones working on it and of course it didn't go well once the producers were involved. The film was supposed to be a Horror take of Hellboy more like the books but it was turn into another copy of a superhero film.

I'd encourage people to check the movie out and see it for yourself. It is not high art cinema. I'm okay with that. The editing IS rough. You can tell the producers, when they took over the edit, went for maximum impact of... well... everything. That means there are not as many highs and lows as you might want. It's pretty breathless the way it careens from plot point to plot point. Here's the thing. At no time was it confusing, and they actually did a good job of combining everything inot a pretty seamless story.

I think this is soooooo far from "unwatchable." If you think this is a truly horrid movie, then you've not watched enough bad movies. I mean, I think of something like Van Helsing (the Hugh Jackman movie) as unwatchable. Sure, this movie sometimes shows the strains of it's $50m budget (might seem like a lot, but the AMBITION of this story is huge) and I think it would have made a better 8-episode streaming series than a movie because of the amount of plot it zooms through.

But, really, the overall feel is much more horrific. For every off CGI moment, there's some truly inspired make-up and physical effects work. You'll know her when you see her. There is some good CGI work in here too, there's just ONE moment toward the end where it's especially awkward because it distracts from an emotional beat.

I thought it was really well cast too. Sasha Lane is really great as Alice, for instance. Daniel Dae Kim is fun, but just a little one-note the way he's written. Ian McShane is cornering the market on this type of role, but he's so great at it. I thought David Harbour brought an interesting take on Hellboy. He's less mature, for sure. But I liked his humor and attitude.

I am a huge GDT fan. I loved his more superhero fantasy take on Hellboy. But put that aside, and there's a lot of things to like here.

As cool as I think this figure is, I think I'm gonna pass.

Very tempting though. Would look great on the shelf... however my available shelf space is quickly becoming an issue.

It's getting harder to decide what figures to get, there is so much cool stuff that's coming down the pike. Need to further establish clear boundaries for purchasing.

Yeah me too, flat out of space that will probably prevent me purchasing this.

It's funny that the movie is not doing well but this figure seems like it will sell to the fans. If they could have just went strict horror for this movie and left out any superhero stuff it would have probably done better.

I'd encourage people to check the movie out and see it for yourself. It is not high art cinema. I'm okay with that. The editing IS rough. You can tell the producers, when they took over the edit, went for maximum impact of... well... everything. That means there are not as many highs and lows as you might want. It's pretty breathless the way it careens from plot point to plot point. Here's the thing. At no time was it confusing, and they actually did a good job of combining everything inot a pretty seamless story.

I think this is soooooo far from "unwatchable." If you think this is a truly horrid movie, then you've not watched enough bad movies. I mean, I think of something like Van Helsing (the Hugh Jackman movie) as unwatchable. Sure, this movie sometimes shows the strains of it's $50m budget (might seem like a lot, but the AMBITION of this story is huge) and I think it would have made a better 8-episode streaming series than a movie because of the amount of plot it zooms through.

But, really, the overall feel is much more horrific. For every off CGI moment, there's some truly inspired make-up and physical effects work. You'll know her when you see her. There is some good CGI work in here too, there's just ONE moment toward the end where it's especially awkward because it distracts from an emotional beat.

I thought it was really well cast too. Sasha Lane is really great as Alice, for instance. Daniel Dae Kim is fun, but just a little one-note the way he's written. Ian McShane is cornering the market on this type of role, but he's so great at it. I thought David Harbour brought an interesting take on Hellboy. He's less mature, for sure. But I liked his humor and attitude.

I am a huge GDT fan. I loved his more superhero fantasy take on Hellboy. But put that aside, and there's a lot of things to like here.
ill be buying the 4K of this movie for my initial viewing
Don’t care about the reviews of it, I’ll go in open minded

The figure itself might be a buy for me, looks great with the long horns, will have a striking shelf presence

Personally, I liked it. But I didn't go in thinking I was seeing an Oscar contender. I think it's one of those things that's just a matter of taste - and then it breaks down over the matter of change: Perlman vs. Harbour. I think it's like the Lazenby v. Connery v. Moore v. Dalton v. Brosnan v. Craig debate - which Bond do you like?

That said, Harbour looks like a beast and I love the look. He fits well in the line of anti-heroes. Looking forward to the release. It gets a positive vote from me and I'm grateful for the choice.

Absolutely agreed. It isn’t Citizen Kane, but it isn’t meant to be. I had a lot of fun with the film. I’ve noticed A LOT of the folks in this thread are saying how bad the film looks based on previews or referencing critic reviews and obviously haven’t seen the movie personally to form their own opinions. They might still dislike it, but at least it would be a valid dislike.

Anyway, I liked the movie, love the figure, and I have it pre-ordered.

Regardless to whether the movie is bad i still want this figure. Looks great. Just wish it was a little cheaper, he doesn't come with much so i assume the license is pricey.

I actually think it's kind of loaded as far as what I would expect him to have. The sword and fire/lightening effects, long horns, and the fire crown are pretty great. And as also pointed out, the body is all new and probably only going to be used for this figure. Same with the Right Hand of Doom. I didn't see the movie yet, so I'm not sure what else they'd add.

This looks cracking! Mightily tempted to pick him up....

I haven't seen the movie (I will do, but due to its less than...stellar... reception I feel no rush to), but I think this is a great representation of the Hellboy character and a great looking figure.
I love that you can display him in his Beast of the Apocalypse form, and he seems to come with a fair decent amount of accessories.
Really glad Hot Toys have gone ahead with him.

**** I think I just talked myself into buying it :rotfl

Cool to see something that's not marvel or Star Wars. It looks to be a pretty amazing figure with great accessories.

I don't believe he was involved. Neil Marshall and Mignola were the only ones working on it and of course it didn't go well once the producers were involved. The film was supposed to be a Horror take of Hellboy more like the books but it was turn into another copy of a superhero film.

Yep Del Toro had nothing to do with it...he could not come to terms with the Producers so he walked...not sure that that would set the stage for him "consulting" on this one. Ron Perlman also refused to play Hellboy out of loyalty to the non-consultant Del Toro.

Back