Hot Toys 1/4 Avengers Announcement!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this is great for the hobby if EB takes it to Hot Toys and expands their line of 1/4 figures as well. Collectors can greatly benefit from two heavyweights competing to push out the best 1/4 scale figure out there.

Next year is going to be interesting. Save those wallets.

If HT's 1:4 comes out nicely, and stays decently affordable (under $300 for me) then they can count me in. I just can't afford ssc's prices right now.

I am trying to tell myself that I wouldn't buy any 1/4 scale stuff, as I already can barely find room for the 1/6 scale stuff. But then I think about a 1/4 scale Iron Man from the Avengers trailer...

AFIeN.jpg

And I know I would be screwed. :lol

Count me in for a 1/4 Mk 6! I wonder if they'd be more or less a full version of the 1/4 busts?

iron-man-2-hot-toys-mark-VI-quarter-scale-bust.jpg

Well I wouldn't give up on those just yet, the Metal boss figure is out there so I'm sure hot toys want to release something from Metal gear soon, and hey we eventually did get something from Avatar.

I hope your right, I am absolutely crazy over the MGS franchise and the figures would not require as much R&D as an avatar figure.

But in all honestly, I'd imagine alot of Hot Toys fans are started to lose patience in these toys between all the rereleases, Iron Man repaints, and now the 1/4.

As much as it is awesome to get older but newly developed figures, you kinda alienate the old crowd who liked the idea that prided themselves on having these "trophy" pieces. Don't get me wrong I will be picking up a new and improved MK1 and TDK Joker.

I have a feeling HT wants people to buy the 1/4 figures, and they will do so by selling 1/4 figures that will not be available in 1/6, like Loki or Nick Fury, just because it may be redundant to purchase a 1/4 MK6 or whatever we already have.

I know that I sorta contradicted myself in this post, but it was more of a general observation.

The idea that you could kit bash something in that scale? The Marty McFlys, House, Dexters, done in that scale? Imagine if they released a TT and a "Man suit" with their Iron Man Mark VII? You could have a 1:4 Iron Man and a 1:4 Tony Stark bashed theoretically for the price of one PF.

This thought crossed my mind, but...the problem with this is that 1/6 kitbashers have a wealth of items to choose from and customize from countless releases over the past x amount of years. Not to mention the countless figures that are constantly being released by a large number of companies. There aren't many players in the 1/4 figurine market, and unless you go busting up Premium Formats for clothing, you're basically SOL. I suppose the custom tailors on the boards could offer 1/4 stuff, but then you're undoubtedly getting into astronomical prices.

I imagine the price would come in near what the Jake Sully Avatar is at: ~$315. Sully is the right size (18") and it has a unique body, but you will also add accessories and clothing to the mix and it will probably bring the price up higher.

I personally have no interest in 1/4 scale figures. The fact that they would take up much more space, and the undoubtedly higher price tag are reason enough to keep me away. Like many have said, HT 1/6 figures are expensive enough, enough to make me streamline my shopping list to maybe 4 per year. And I'm already pretty much out of space.

In addition, and maybe more importantly, is the fact that the 12" scale brings to me a nostalgia element to collecting. I am essentially reliving my youth. I am buying figures that I grew up with, like the SW line. The superior details make me feel like I am getting the figures the way my mind remembers them from childhood: like real people scaled down to 12". 1/4 scale doesn't have that nostalgic resonance with me.

BUT. Damn, that Arnold Enterbay figure is SWEEET. If HT or even Enterbay make a 1/4 scale Indy, it's gonna be hard to say no.

Relax folks. The first 1/4 scale hot toys figure will almost certainly have a VERY competitive price. You can bet your house on that.

But if this scale really takes off and people get hooked, all bets are off as to the affordability of all subsequent releases.

Relax folks. The first 1/4 scale hot toys figure will almost certainly have a VERY competitive price. You can bet your house on that.

But if this scale really takes off and people get hooked, all bets are off as to the affordability of all subsequent releases.

Most probably the first one will be Iron Man... without any doubts

Edit: I think that making a 1/4 scale toy isn't as hard as one 1/6. So it take less work and, in theory, it has to be cheaper than reduced ones....

I'm absolutely sure that Sideshow knew about this before any of us did but the fact is that it will draw a line in the sand between HT and SSC in terms of these two particular film licenses. If a SSC Captain America Avengers PF is $350 and a 1:4 HT Captain America Avengers figure is $275 then it's a no brainer. Even Enterbay's pricing of the T-800 is comparable to the price of a PF so I don't see HT going higher than that at first, in fact I wouldn't be shocked if the first few releases were "affordable" in order to build a base of customers.

With DC it looks like it'll be Sideshow focusing on the Comic side with HT focusing on the film side. I wonder if that is where we'll start to see things heading for Marvel as well and if this will eventually mean that we might see Sideshow making comic versions of the Marvel heroes in 1:6.
This isn't necessarily a bad thing but the possibilities for HT to corner this market is outstanding. Imagine a TT in 1:4? The idea that you could kit bash something in that scale? The Marty McFlys, House, Dexters, done in that scale? Imagine if they released a TT and a "Man suit" with their Iron Man Mark VII? You could have a 1:4 Iron Man and a 1:4 Tony Stark bashed theoretically for the price of one PF.

Count me in for those! (comic versions)...though, those upcoming Marvel Comic Captain Action figures are nice (and very affordable)

Most probably the first one will be Iron Man... without any doubts

Edit: I think that making a 1/4 scale toy isn't as hard as one 1/6. So it take less work and, in theory, it has to be cheaper than reduced ones....

could you explain further? 1/4 scale requires more materials, therefor should cost more....

I'll get any of the 1:4 busts they do and all the 1:6th (assuming they're the designs I like).

It was only a matter of time...

I hope 1/4 does not become the new 1/6, simply too big to display too many of them plus you can forget about elaborate dios and vehicles.

There is no need other than to screw Enterbay when tey're trying a different tact, HT dkesn't need 1/4 for profits.

I hope your right about it not becoming the new 1/6 cos that is basically driving yor 1/6 customer away :dunno

could you explain further? 1/4 scale requires more materials, therefor should cost more....

Well I'm not a expert but its obvious that is more difficult to make a smaller thing than a bigger one(talking about things with high details)... So less time to design, engineering, they will apply to make then. Theorically this should be a reason for reduce costs.

Furthermore I think that PVC/cloth is very cheap in China... it isn't a problem

Well I'm not a expert but its obvious that is more difficult to make a smaller thing than a bigger one(talking about things with high details)... So less time to design, engineering, they will apply to make then. Theorically this should be a reason for reduce costs.

Furthermore I think that PVC/cloth is very cheap in China... it isn't a problem

Actually, more effort is required to put into the whole figure so it looks more realistic than the smaller scale. Also, they need to invest in more materials to make it, so it'll cost even more.

Head sculpting wise, they now have more space to detail further, and this requires even more time.

From the Avengers i'm planning on Cap, Nick Fury and maybe Thor all in 1/6, none in 1/4

I want:

Loki
Sleeveless Thor (training costume)
Black Widow (sculpted hair)
Hulk
Hawkeye
Cap (possibly)
Nick Fury

All in 1/6th to match with the rest of my collection :rock :rock :rock

Back