Hot Toys – MMS204 - The 1/6th scale ED-209 Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Type in search bar "Hot Toys" then look down the left from the top until you get to "posts to page" then just click posts to page :)

Hate to see this happening but after the dome issues I had on the first one, I was not going to order this one despite how much nicer it looked. Looks like I made the right call.

Hate to see this happening but after the dome issues I had on the first one, I was not going to order this one despite how much nicer it looked. Looks like I made the right call.

I was actually fairly optimistic last summer when Hot Toys announced this, that they wouldn't implement rubber after the whole ordeal with the original. Yeah, naive, I know. I didn't buy the original back in the day, so I was pretty damn excited about this one. When the pre-orders went up for it, I said to myself "just wait for in-hand pics and reviews for plastic confirmation, then preorder".

Once it was revealed that it was rubber (plus the idiotic voice), I stayed away. For months when people were posting pics about how great it was, even with the rubber, I was getting a little sheepish that I didn't make the right decision. I was watching all these Robo documentaries, watching all the reviews, just trying to convince myself that I needed one to represent ED in 1/6 scale. After this week though, I'm glad I did stay the hell away. This whole ordeal sucks.

Robocop on the other hand, I preordered day one. I didn't jump on the deluxe chair version because I didn't want to put that much down. If it's revealed that Robocop has rubber during the in-hand stage, I'm dropping my order and backing out.

It is still a cool figure and even if my retailer said I could send it back, I wouldn´t. I want to keep it.
And eventually some gifted guy will come up with a solution we all can live with.
To me, this is not about refunds or anything.
This is about a company that says:
(you need to imagine the following in ed 209´s awesome new voice)
You know what? Those pathetic bit**es will buy our ***** no matter how we treat them, so let´s ***** em.

I was actually fairly optimistic last summer when Hot Toys announced this, that they wouldn't implement rubber after the whole ordeal with the original. Yeah, naive, I know. I didn't buy the original back in the day, so I was pretty damn excited about this one. When the pre-orders went up for it, I said to myself "just wait for in-hand pics and reviews for plastic confirmation, then preorder".

Once it was revealed that it was rubber (plus the idiotic voice), I stayed away. For months when people were posting pics about how great it was, even with the rubber, I was getting a little sheepish that I didn't make the right decision. I was watching all these Robo documentaries, watching all the reviews, just trying to convince myself that I needed one to represent ED in 1/6 scale. After this week though, I'm glad I did stay the hell away. This whole ordeal sucks.

Robocop on the other hand, I preordered day one. I didn't jump on the deluxe chair version because I didn't want to put that much down. If it's revealed that Robocop has rubber during the in-hand stage, I'm dropping my order and backing out.

My story's about the same, but I pulled the trigger when I saw a super deal at almost $100 less than retail on the board. Right when I got him all this mess about the cracks started being reported. Bad timing for sure and since I'm not the original owner, not much I can do.

The thing I hate is how there's really no outcry from people in China and Japan about these things. They're clearly Hot Toy's biggest and main market. We never really hear any peeps out of them when these things happen. Surely they'd be first to catch wind of these problems, right?

They're not really active on facebook, and the things they do talk about (when translated) are getting to the Secret Base or Toy Sapiens on time for their preorders. Even their message boards don't really contain any critiques or negativity. Is there a place I'm missing that they frequent? Do they have the problems we have? What do they think of price hikes? Do they just not care?

I do remember collectors and Asia mentioning that they got boned hard during the DX 02 oil/rubber fiasco (basically they only had one chance at replacement as their only option, and the replacement would just be another defective figure). Since then though, I never hear or see anything.

I wonder if it a batch thing. I've checked mine daily since word of this has dropped and thank god all is still well, then again, I've never touched the dome or the other rubber parts and all looks good (as of now).

The thing I hate is how there's really no outcry from people in China and Japan about these things. They're clearly Hot Toy's biggest and main market. We never really hear any peeps out of them when these things happen. Surely they'd be first to catch wind of these problems, right?

They're not really active on facebook, and the things they do talk about (when translated) are getting to the Secret Base or Toy Sapiens on time for their preorders. Even their message boards don't really contain any critiques or negativity. Is there a place I'm missing that they frequent? Do they have the problems we have? What do they think of price hikes? Do they just not care?

I do remember collectors and Asia mentioning that they got boned hard during the DX 02 oil/rubber fiasco (basically they only had one chance at replacement as their only option, and the replacement would just be another defective figure). Since then though, I never hear or see anything.

Good question.. I think the only way to find out for sure, is if peeps who frequent both this Forum and Toy collecting Forums in the Far East, comment on a QC issue and let us know if Collectors over there, are also up in arms about an issue.. it certainly helps to gauge how prevalent a QC problem is globally.

The condition of my ED so far. It's livable now, but the damage has begun, and disaster is inevitable. I've contacted my dealer with pics, and he is forwarding it to Sideshow.

FrontRightofDomeCrackingHighlighted.jpg

Top-FrontofRightHipJoint.jpg

FrontofLeftHipJoint.jpg

RearofRightHipJoint.jpg

I would much prefer a way to fix or replace the rubber parts than to just have my money back. I actually prefer this ED over the Chronicle stop motion puppet replica because I can choose the pose (sort of) on this one, and it's proper 1/6 scale. I think the screen puppet was smaller than 1/6. I hate that Hot Toys juked us on this.

Still don't see anything on mine, I'll give it another look in natural light tomorrow using Rory's recommended macro-photo method of examination.

My RMA was accepted based on the front part of the dome being sucked in, and no cracking yet.
For those interested. Back it goes tomorrow. They require original packaging as well as the shipper. And yes, shipping is on us.

In case HOt toys do nothing might be a good thing to work a contigency plan?
I know Anthrapoid offered to do some dome replacements but what about the rest?
With all the talent here it would be a shame if we could no do something.

I gave mine a look finally, don't see the slightest bit of deterioration.

Same with mine. I have considered selling it before it inevitably happens, but I don't know if I feel right doing so. I really don't feel right selling this figure to some poor guy on ebay and taking advantage of the fact that he may not know about this issue yet.

Same with mine. I have considered selling it before it inevitably happens, but I don't know if I feel right doing so. I really don't feel right selling this figure to some poor guy on ebay and taking advantage of the fact that he may not know about this issue yet.

I'm going through this debate myself...

Perhaps a disclaimer in the ebay listing explaining why you're letting it go? Who knows, the buyer might have some way of replacing the rotting parts with their own custom versions?

Back