Hot Toys – MMS204 - The 1/6th scale ED-209 Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's not much to think about I think. If you guys are contemplating to sell ED, just make it clear on the description/listing with a disclaimer that the production figures are known to have rubber deterioration issues and let the buyer decide form him/herself. It's the right thing to do.

Right. I thought about that too. If you value your feedback, you had better make sure you state that very clearly in your EBAY posting otherwise you'll have a very unhappy buyer on your hands.

On a side note, my dome has finally started showing signs of cracks. There were none yesterday and now today I see the microcracks on the front of the dome. Sigh...

I'm probably just going to ride this bad boy out to the end, but if I do end up selling I will make a buyer beware note in the auction. My integrity is more important than the $50-60 I mite save by not mentioning it.

this is upsetting to the point I made a profile to comment. I did not buy ed209 and did not intend to but this is hot toys at their worst imo. I've been collecting them for years and have seen plenty of the QC issues. My dx02 is still soaking in a shoebox somewhere. Like all those previous times hot toys does nothing and they have willingly rigged it that way. Returns or replacements can only be made through official channels, which are basically just Hot Toys/toys hunters in Hk and sideshow in CA, which guarantees only a portion of their products CAN be returned, while approx. 90%+ of all hot toys stock sells out. They still sell because people don't seem to be deterred enough by quality issues to actually stop buying what comes next. Me too. i'm not going to stop and I NEED to believe an issue with one figure has nothing to do with another. That allows the problems to go by as hot toys holds their breath knowing almost no issue will last or damage their image. sucky ed209 + great iron man figures = still having a great reputation overall unfortunately. Something needs to be shaken up.

this is upsetting to the point I made a profile to comment. I did not buy ed209 and did not intend to but this is hot toys at their worst imo. I've been collecting them for years and have seen plenty of the QC issues. My dx02 is still soaking in a shoebox somewhere. Like all those previous times hot toys does nothing and they have willingly rigged it that way. Returns or replacements can only be made through official channels, which are basically just Hot Toys/toys hunters in Hk and sideshow in CA, which guarantees only a portion of their products CAN be returned, while approx. 90%+ of all hot toys stock sells out. They still sell because people don't seem to be deterred enough by quality issues to actually stop buying what comes next. Me too. i'm not going to stop and I NEED to believe an issue with one figure has nothing to do with another. That allows the problems to go by as hot toys holds their breath knowing almost no issue will last or damage their image. sucky ed209 + great iron man figures = still having a great reputation overall unfortunately. Something needs to be shaken up.

Exactly.
It doesn´t and prolly hasn´t to do with each other.
It´s just THAT special material at HT that KEEPS making problems and they won´t retire it.

Like I said yesterday: "If not enough people make their voice heard nothing will happen."
And of course then we´ll keep getting this ****.

SSC wanted pictures for my return claim, ive never returned anything to them before. I gave them pictures from
on here since mine isn't super bad yet but the pictures of the leg cracks were very similar to mine.Do you think they will believe me?
The cracks on my dome are too small to see on camera too so the picture of dome I sent them also wasn't mine.

I have considered selling it before it inevitably happens, but I don't know if I feel right doing so.

Unfortunately the word is out there on this one now, so these ED-209s probably aren't going to be worth much on the secondary market. If it was just a minor QC issue it wouldn't be such a big deal, but who's going to want a figure that's literally going to rot and fall apart?

Oh, so they can get it fixed now, but decided not to in the first batch.
Awesome.
And they also know that no one likes to spend money on faulty goods?
But they sold faulty goods to me on purpose. Somebody got to have a lawyer in their family.
Call him and get this lawsuit going.

Unfortunately the word is out there on this one now, so these ED-209s probably aren't going to be worth much on the secondary market. If it was just a minor QC issue it wouldn't be such a big deal, but who's going to want a figure that's literally going to rot and fall apart?

The one's Iv'e been watching on ebay these past few days have been selling for around the same price. I agree that will likely change soon, but I think if I sold now I could still minimize my losses significantly. It was that thought process that lead me to feeling it would be morally irresponsible to pass this thing off like a hot potato to an unsuspecting buyer before the word spread beyond the forums and facebook.

SSC wanted pictures for my return claim, ive never returned anything to them before. I gave them pictures from
on here since mine isn't super bad yet but the pictures of the leg cracks were very similar to mine.Do you think they will believe me?
The cracks on my dome are too small to see on camera too so the picture of dome I sent them also wasn't mine.

The cracks in mine are very small too, but if you magnify the pic you can clearly see them.

If you just can't get a good photo take my pics if you want. :)
I know the cracks are HARD to photograph.

This product is just a waste! they made it look great and pose great, but then they go and use crappy rubber
at areas of the figure that are now rotting.
that what wonders me most.
there are lots of cheap rubber tubes on the market - and made specifically to be used as a protection from hostile environment. but no, they had to make their own.

This product is just a waste! they made it look great and pose great, but then they go and use crappy rubber
at areas of the figure that are now rotting.

Yeah I think the thing that bugs us all the most is just how unnecessary it was to use rubber on the dome. It seems like hot toys has been shifting their figures away from rubber parts lately, and it just makes no sense that they didn't continue with that trend here.

I used some photos on here that were very similar to my ED. My ED's legs are showing the most cracking.
The dome isn't showing that much but the front is showing something at the edge. Like its smushed in.
My ED legs look like this picture I used here:

FrontofLeftHipJoint.jpg

I'm wondering if it isn't old rubber stock they've used. I've never heard of rubber going bad this quick, especially if not exposed to the weather.

Not that this is going to help, but...
My experience with liquid rubbers of many different types makes me strongly suspect what Hot Toys is doing wrong: I think they are using a black pigment that is incompatible with the rubber type itself. The flex tubes and the domes are all black; I Don't think it's the glue, as some have supposed. The elbow and hip rubber has no glue involved, yet they are degrading just as the domes are. I think they are using the same recipe as they did in 2006, which includes a black pigment that reacts with the base rubber. When exposed to the air, oxidation causes the reaction to advance. (my theory)
WHY can't I work at Hot Toys, to research and produce accurate decals, AND to deal with the rubber intelligently???
Oh... because I'm not a money-grubbing bastard; I forgot.

Last edited:
My experience with liquid rubbers of many different types makes me strongly suspect what Hot Toys is doing wrong: I think they are using a black pigment that is incompatible with the rubber type itself. The flex tubes and the domes are all black; I Don't think it's the glue, as some have supposed. The elbow and hip rubber has no glue involved, yet they are degrading just as the domes are. I think they are using the same recipe as they did in 2006, which includes a black pigment that reacts with the base rubber.
WHY can't I work at Hot Toys, to research and produce accurate decals, AND to deal with the rubber intelligently???

Youre right I was thinking the same thing, I think it has something to do with how HT mixed the rubber materials,
like they don't know what the hell theyre doing.

My experience with liquid rubbers of many different types makes me strongly suspect what Hot Toys is doing wrong: I think they are using a black pigment that is incompatible with the rubber type itself. The flex tubes and the domes are all black; I Don't think it's the glue, as some have supposed. The elbow and hip rubber has no glue involved, yet they are degrading just as the domes are. I think they are using the same recipe as they did in 2006, which includes a black pigment that reacts with the base rubber. When exposed to the air, oxidation causes the reaction to advance. (my theory)

Sounds plausible, man.

And :lol @ the last sentence.

Back