Hot Toys – MMS202D04 - 1/6th scale RoboCop Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
982_stgcc2014.jpg

You can really tell that the mouth piece isn't in the slot correctly here. Absolutely none of Weller's chin should be showing, I just hope that was incorrectly set up and not some massive design flaw (Hot Toys are well known for those lately though).

Still, I will wait until a decent review of the final product shows up online. I've not purchased this yet but IF it looks half decent, it will be an instant buy. I hope I'm not too disappointed.

Last edited:
Hello fellow Sideshow Freaks, this is my first post.

Being as big a fan of RoboCop as one can reasonably be (it's my all-time favourite film) and a previous collector of Sideshow Weta LotR and Gentle Giant Collectibles, I was simply blown away by this figure when it was unveiled last year. I've had it on pre-order with Zavvi (UK) since March for £197.99. The wait has been long and we've been thru the ED-209 debacle and subsequent reveal of the jaw dropping BD RoboCop to follow. My guess is we won't be seeing this until at least December. I'd hope the quality control has been very high as that prototype looked perfect and I want the final version to mirror it as much as possible. If it means a longer wait then so be it. 2014 has seen a long needed revival in all things RoboCop related and this piece is a long time coming and I pray they nail the final version.

The one shown at SGTCC recently looked a step back facially and I hope this is not indicative of the final piece.

Welcome to the board, Seeker! Good to hear from another Robo fan!

We were expecting this guy this month, still a decent chance of that happening, but if not, October it is.

View attachment 133166

You can really tell that the mouth piece isn't in the slot correctly here. Absolutely none of Weller's chin should be showing, I just hope that was incorrectly set up and not some massive design flaw (Hot Toys are well known for those lately though).

Still, I will wait until a decent review of the final product shows up online. I've not purchased this yet but IF it looks half decent, it will be an instant buy. I hope I'm not too disappointed.

Yeah, this was the figure, which appears to be a final production piece, at STGCC. This mouthplate was not properly inserted into the head. If you look at other photos of the figure at STGCC, like the one below, you can see a gap between the edge of the plate and the jawguard.

jawgap.jpg

Trying not to jump the gun but if HT ****s this one up, I'm going to be super pissed off. Prototype faceplates were perfect. I hear the latest Batman's faceplates are a disappointment compared to the proto. I think HT has too much on their plate and they're just churning stuff out that's not 100%.

Trying not to jump the gun but if HT ****s this one up, I'm going to be super pissed off. Prototype faceplates were perfect. I hear the latest Batman's faceplates are a disappointment compared to the proto. I think HT has too much on their plate and they're just churning stuff out that's not 100%.

Me too, man, me too. I don't know if it's the lighting, but the "flesh" on the figure at STGCC should appear more pale, like the prototype and in this pic. It's practically pasty.

robospike.jpg

If that turns out to be the case Darkavatar then I'll be very disappointed with HT.

Well it looks like it is, that is why we are disappointed. Nevertheless, some of us were expecting this, since the Armory Batman product face plates did not end up looking the same as the prototype ones.

Yeah, this was the figure, which appears to be a final production piece, at STGCC. This mouthplate was not properly inserted into the head. If you look at other photos of the figure at STGCC, like the one below, you can see a gap between the edge of the plate and the jawguard.

View attachment 133168

Yeah but even if it is inserted the right way the lips look like they are sculpted differently to the proto.

982_stgcc2014.jpg

Looks like he is pouting too much. :dunno

Well it looks like it is, that is why we are disappointed. Nevertheless, some of us were expecting this, since the Armory Batman product face plates did not end up looking the same as the prototype ones.

Yeah but even if it is inserted the right way the lips look like they are sculpted differently to the proto.

982_stgcc2014.jpg

Looks like he is pouting too much. :dunno

Well, the picture I posted is of an alternate mouthplate, it's not the one that most will use. Most will use the neutral one, pictured above, which looks alright.

I think the mouths are pretty much fine. It's just that HT decided to darken up the "skin" a little too much. He should be pale, not look as if he just came back from a week at Puerto Vallarta.

Well, the picture I posted is of an alternate mouthplate, it's not the one that most will use. Most will use the neutral one, pictured above, which looks alright.

Yeah it only looks alright but not good, not amazing like the proto.

I think the mouths are pretty much fine. It's just that HT decided to darken up the "skin" a little too much. He should be pale, not look as if he just came back from a week at Puerto Vallarta.

Have to disagree with you there, they don't look fine IMO.

Yeah it only looks alright but not good, not amazing like the proto.

Have to disagree with you there, they don't look fine IMO.

I half-hoped but kind of expected that they wouldn't look as nice as the prototypes. The coloring is what I'm more concerned about, but it's to be expected from HT nowadays.

I don't think these look any worse than the Armory plates, maybe even a bit better. Won't know for sure until we get some pics. The ones from STGCC didn't do it any favors.

I half-hoped but kind of expected that they wouldn't look as nice as the prototypes. I don't think these look any worse than the Armory plates, maybe even a bit better.

They may be better. :dunno Nevertheless, they don't look like the prototype face plates.

Won't know for sure until we get some pics.

Yeah we are getting ahead of ourselves because the pics are not that great but I am pretty sure it won't look like this unfortunately. :(

PD13699018323fr.jpg

Its pretty sad they cant even deliver proto>productions faceplates, its not like its a whole face or anything. :gah:
I mean after all the ****ing time they have had with the delays they cant give us a good product :slap

Except in very rare instances, the protos usually end up looking better than the production pieces. When somebody in a factory is painting a face for the 582nd time, there's bound to be a little slippage. It's not like they're painting up a proto to sell the figure to the public.

Except in very rare instances, the protos usually end up looking better than the production pieces. When somebody in a factory is painting another face for the 582nd time, there's bound to be a little slippage. It's not like they're painting up a proto to sell the figure to the public.

Its just a mouth though, they should be able to nail a mouth at least :lecture

Except in very rare instances, the protos usually end up looking better than the production pieces. When somebody in a factory is painting another face for the 582nd time, there's bound to be a little slippage. It's not like they're painting up a proto to sell the figure to the public.

It's all due to the mold deformation during the conversion process. You are making a copy of a copy obviously it will never look exactly like the proto but it usually at least looks close enough that it is hard to spot a difference. These face plates looking nothing like the proto ones.

Maybe these are more mass-produced than we think. :dunno

So what are you saying then, more room for error? I think with the technology Hot Toys has they should be able to make it look as close as the proto as possible. I mean most of their figures look pretty much the same. Maybe they just have a problem making face plates for mass production. :dunno

Back