HOMEFRONT

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I see in the reviews, the the main complaint for Homefront are the graphics. Which is very sad, since a lot of folks will not even give this game a try because is doesn't look like Modern Warfare or Battlefield.

From what I see in the reviews, the the main complaint for Homefront are the graphics. Which is very sad, since a lot of folks will not even give this game a try because is doesn't look like Modern Warfare or Battlefield.

Well in all fairness the people behind Homefront knew they were just going to get compared to COD and the Battlefield series out of the gate and they still went the FPS route. And have you seen that cotton candy looking fire? No excuse for that:dunno

Gameplay & Story > Graphics.

I'm also a single Campaign player first, and MP a distant second. So the lack of awe-inspiring online MP stuff isn't a factor for me, either.

If the first two are there and this is fun and engaging to play I'll easily forgive any subpar graphical stuff. Picking this up today.

Picked the game up, but I can't play it. The servers are down. It's not the first time I've seen this happen and it's still incredible to me. Is this THQ's first game? They didn't realize that the servers would be busy on launch day? It baffles me.

I'm also a single Campaign player first, and MP a distant second. So the lack of awe-inspiring online MP stuff isn't a factor for me, either.

:lecture Pretty much. As long as the gameplay is there I'll compromise on the graphics. From what I've seen about the story for this game I'm going to like it. I love alternate history stuff so this could be a pretty cool Tom Clancy type of story.

If the first two are there and this is fun and engaging to play I'll easily forgive any subpar graphical stuff. Picking this up today.

So wait instead of an awesome game with a superior and robust online multiplayer mode, you prefer a 6 hour what could have been game with shoddy graphics, stereotypical characters, and average gameplay?

I'd hate to be you.

Reviews have been quite brutal. They praise the concept and what could have been story...but everything else they rip apart.

You'll be able to find this for $40 in a month. Why pay full price for it now if you're only going to play single player, Irish?

So wait instead of an awesome game with a superior and robust online multiplayer mode, you prefer a 6 hour what could have been game with shoddy graphics, stereotypical characters, and average gameplay?
Is that what I said? Talk about putting words in someone's mouth? :lol

Reviews have been quite brutal. They praise the concept and what could have been story...but everything else they rip apart.
We'll see. I don't put a lot of stock in reviews. I'll play the game and decide for myself.

Finally got into a lobby, but after 25 minutes of waiting I gave up. I'd give it a 0/10 so far.

And they have dedicated servers too lol.

That's the whole ridiculous part. They were somehow surprised by the traffic on their servers the day a big (for them) online focused game gets launched. Imagine that! A lot of people trying to play a game they just bought!

That's the whole ridiculous part. They were somehow surprised by the traffic on their servers the day a big (for them) online focused game gets launched. Imagine that! A lot of people trying to play a game they just bought!

I think whoever bought it should return it. As do most gamers...

https://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/15/us-thq-shares-idUKTRE72E7E620110315?type=companyNews

THQ stock drops 25 percent in one day on Homefront launch.

"If THQ can come up with a couple of franchises that sell well, that's a much clearer path to profitability and a higher stock price." -- Colin Sebastian of Lazard Capital Markets

"75" -- Metacritic score for Homefront, the most pre-ordered title in THQ's history

"This score is a bit of a disaster for THQ and the share price today is reflecting that." -- Mike Hickey of Janco Partners

The poor reviews could have an impact on sales at a time when THQ is seen needing a hit title. Its share price has floundered more than 20 percent since its third-quarter earnings on February 2, when its profit outlook was lowered.

And right there proves our point, companies try to delay reviews from hitting early to try to avoid cancellations and poor sales. They just took a big blow.

Last edited:
Started playing some of it

So far as the Single Player goes, it's not that great, pretty generic. The game is more scripted than other FPS game like it which makes it very annoying.

And as far as graphics go--for this it's kind of annoying, you'll show up to an important area, and there will be a door texture or something and the resolution is just so low it looks terrible---not on everything, but there are a good amount of things this way.

Started playing some of it

So far as the Single Player goes, it's not that great, pretty generic. The game is more scripted than other FPS game like it which makes it very annoying.

And as far as graphics go--for this it's kind of annoying, you'll show up to an important area, and there will be a door texture or something and the resolution is just so low it looks terrible---not on everything, but there are a good amount of things this way.

That's what I've been reading is that it looks rather dated. Here's what GI had to say:

"Ugly low-res textures, wooden characters, and stagnant lighting all contribute to the noticeably dated graphics"

Since when is 75% a bad average score? That's a very decent average. The problem isn't the scores. It's the servers and THQ's apparent lack of preparation for release.

The problem isn't the scores. It's the servers and THQ's apparent lack of preparation for release.

Not just THQ, pretty much every hyped up online fps game released has problems for the first week or so, you'd think they'd learn and prepare for the overload of servers, but they always seem so surprised by the problems/demand.

I say to the devs, if youre gonna hype a game to no end then be fricking ready for the demand upon release, idiots!

Back