Hoarding Dealers/Collectors at SDCC

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
have you ever sold any collectible at anytime in your life for more than you paid? if your answer was yes, then you're a flipper.

Baseball cards, yes, but in a way thats different, since the way it works is based on gambling (opening packs) and you don't know what you're getting. So chances are when you open a pack its not something you want, so you have to sell and trade to get what you do want.

I suppose one can twist that to being equal to the games flippercollectors play as toy collecting, I guess...

But honestly, in my 15 years of collecting toys I can't recall selling something I bought for profit!

Rarely have I even sold something at all! I buy stuff to keep.

Now, granted, I'll admit I have the worst business luck of any collector ever, because I only buy what I like and for what ever reason what I like is almost always over produced and never gains value! :lol:lol

But I can say for certainty that I have never ever bought something I knew I wouldn't keep with hopes of making money. :sick

If I wanted to have a business and make money it wouldn't involve standing in line in front of people who shared the hobby with me because I know too well the annoyance of it all. I wouldn't add myself to the problem. And the idea of "if you can't beat them join them" is bullshizznit.

Last edited:
This guy has the new Marvel Legends Hulk, Fing Fang Foom serie.They' re selling for like 25-30 each on the bay cause they're aint release in store yet.He's actually really smart.

This guy has the new Marvel Legends Hulk, Fing Fang Foom serie.They' re selling for like 25-30 each on the bay cause they're aint release in store yet.He's actually really smart.

He only has the boxed sets (all figures), which was selling for $140, and the only one they had at hasbro. They weren't selling individual figures, because I wanted to get just a few (Skaar, Grey Hulk, and maybe she hulk). The boxed set comes out to be like $2 more than if you buy each one individually in the stores, where individual ones retail for around $16 or something like that. I was tlaking to someone in line and he was able to get tham at stores already, but only certain ones. I think the she hulk will be worth most because it is the head of the dragon.

What is with these people? They spend pretty much ALL of their time at the con standing in lines for junk that (mostly) will be available after the show... even some of the exclusives.

Get a load of this dude I snapped a pic of outside of the SDCC Exhibit Hall on Sunday:

hordingdealer.jpg

:horror

I have to say, this man could have purchased these items for any number of reasons. If I were him, i'd be very afraid that someone had not only photoed me, but was using my likeness as the picture of hoarding. :horror

I never knew there were so many intricate degrees of what was considered a sell. You can sell a wanted collectible and be considered a scalper, but if you sift through baseball packs and sell certain cards for more money, you're not considered a scalper but a motivated dealer. Then you can buy a collectible and sell it for profit and that's considered flipping. It's an acceptable practice by some but not all, depending on who you talk to.

Now let's talk about the real world. In business, there's inventory and there's selling that inventory. As long as the person making the purchase gets what you advertised at the price you advertised, that in a legitimate transaction. In my experienced sales opinion, all the rest of these made up terms and practices are in the realm of fantasy. If you choose to accept these practices, you shouldn't dare try to force them on others.

I came to this board looking to share in the collectible commons with others interested in what I'm interested in. But it seems the venoming attitude and gang mentality displayed so far basically tells me there are a lot of immature collectors bombarding this board. Is there no sanctuary from the hate on the internet?

It really doesn't matter... If the dude wants to waste his time in line throughout the entire Con (more so than anyone else anyways)... let him. Who cares?

I know I went through about an hour of standing around just to get my measly single Cobra Commander figure, and that was enough for me. Conventions suck and are awesome at the same time, the trick is making it more awesome than sucky.... standing in line ADDS to the suck factor.... so I feel that anyone who decides to buy a whole mess of crap and sell it later is paying their dues in the lines... :lol

It really doesn't matter... If the dude wants to waste his time in line throughout the entire Con (more so than anyone else anyways)... let him. Who cares?

I know I went through about an hour of standing around just to get my measly single Cobra Commander figure, and that was enough for me. Conventions suck and are awesome at the same time, the trick is making it more awesome than sucky.... standing in line ADDS to the suck factor.... so I feel that anyone who decides to buy a whole mess of crap and sell it later is paying their dues in the lines... :lol

:lecture:lecture:lecture
I can't imagine waiting in line to get all that crap.

Now, granted, I'll admit I have the worst business luck of any collector ever, because I only buy what I like and for what ever reason what I like is almost always over produced and never gains value! :lol:lol

That sounds like me too, but thats because I mainly collect Star Wars, and they are almost always over produced... LOL

Anybody here that actually got one of the (presumably) 20 Bowen Faux Bronze Captain Americas, Odins, Spidies, Thors, Daredevils that SSC recently had for sale? Are you planing to keep them? Or flip them? Unfortunately, I only had THIS chance to get one of them, since Bowen doesn't sell outside US. Needless to say, that I missed out on all of them during that PPO. I really wanted them bad. So, if YOU managed to get one of these, and intend to keep it, cool. If you intend to flip, you ^^^^ed this collector over pretty good.

I have no problems with flippers actually. Everyone is free to do as they please. But, I do have a problem with people having a double moral.

Is there no sanctuary from the hate on the internet?

Has there really been hate posted in this thread? Really? Like, "I hate scalpers so bad, I'm going to beat one to a pulp" kind of hate? I must have missed those posts.

Seems to me there's a few varying opinions being thrown around without this vitriol that you refer to.

I'm not a fan of scalping or flipping, but I'm not out there FORCING my beliefs on anyone and take objection to anyone thinking thats what the goal is.

I think people should have the right to sell, buy, whatever, but others have as equal right to criticize it and say its not the way I want to treat people that I share a common hobby with.

Back