Hoarding Dealers/Collectors at SDCC

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishJedi

Super Freak
Reaction score
What is with these people? They spend pretty much ALL of their time at the con standing in lines for junk that (mostly) will be available after the show... even some of the exclusives.

Get a load of this dude I snapped a pic of outside of the SDCC Exhibit Hall on Sunday:

hordingdealer.jpg

:horror

you prob could of easily grabbed something from there and took off, whats he gonna do leave his stuff and chase you?

Are you sure that wasn't a stall? With all them Hulks it may have been one of Shai's mates.

Jerks. Hate scalpers.

Though I have to say there is a difference between collectors and hoarders/scalpers. I don't think collectors get cases of 1 toy. Someone got some extra to sell ;)

Last edited:
Trust me, this guy isn't a "collector."

I'm glad that Hasbro limited the GI JOE Cobra exclusive figures and set limits on other items (max qty = 4 in most cases, unless you had multiple badges). You could only get 2 of the black suit cobra and 1 of the blue suit cobra; Hasbro stamped the back of badge and tallied each purchase. So, for anybody who had a 4 day pass (1 pass for all 4 days) was at a disadvantage compared to anyone who had 4 single day passes (1 pass for each day) because the stamped history was erased with each new badge. But since blue cobra sold out first day, it was basically a non-issue.

This guy will double his money at least, which is fine. I doubt he bought all these to collect, just to flip. I did the same, but to a much smaller extent. I spent $200 at Hasbro and have recovered most of that, hoping to sell the rest for profit. I could care less about a 3-3/4 GI JOE figure.

I don't think people realize some of the hassle involved in getting all this crap, as I just learned first hand. First, you have to get there early, to get in a line to get a ticket that have a limited amount to be released, and then use that ticket to be given the privilege of standing in another line for 2-3 hours. And once you score your booty, you have to lug the crap around without allowing it to get crushed in the crowds, or get it out to your car/hotel, requiring leaving the show. It's really not as simple as "flipping."

I got my stuff for flipping the first day, and a small attempt on Friday (blue cobra was sold out, buy DA and I cut some lines at the right time to avoid major waiting) and after that, I was done and didn't try anymore. The only one I wish I knew about was the del Torro signed bust, which I missed out on at retail.

Trust me, this guy isn't a "collector."

I don't think people realize some of the hassle involved in getting all this crap, as I just learned first hand. First, you have to get there early, to get in a line to get a ticket that have a limited amount to be released, and then use that ticket to be given the privilege of standing in another line for 2-3 hours. And once you score your booty, you have to lug the crap around without allowing it to get crushed in the crowds, or get it out to your car/hotel, requiring leaving the show. It's really not as simple as "flipping."

You expecting some sympathy??? I suggest you do something more constructive with your life.

If he started out as a collector he isnt anymore, I could understand flipping 1 or 2 of the same item and keeping one for yourself, but it looks to me based on the boxes in this pic that 2 - 3 of the same items isnt gonna cut it for this guy

I dont know how rare these items are tbh, but if alot more people did this to make them rarer and more expensive then WTF !

That said its what we are prepared to pay him now ? not what ssc or other companies decide.

I take it theres "policies" in place within ssc to "safeguard" itself from these types of scalpers and that association ? That will use its "exclusivity policy" as a tool to rip off ssc fans

Or is he some "dumb f*%k" buying up non exclusives that will more likely depreciate on the secondary market ?

cause based on the venue, quantity Im guessing he aint a "retailer" and as such im guessing he will be paying what we are paying

Last edited:
this hobby is for all, collectors, buyers, sellers, they're all the same. if you've got the cash and you want to spend it, spend it. the manufacturers put limits on what you can purchase, so if you want to buy 6 cases of kneeling vaders from hasbro and they'll sell it to you, why not? that guy could take a giant hit and lose if he tries to resell. he may also make a bit. or he may be getting them as presents for a youth club or school auction to raise funds, the possibilities are endless. i've learned there's nothing wrong with hoarding, as many board members will attest. first come, first served.

Jerks. Hate scalpers.

Though I have to say there is a difference between collectors and hoarders/scalpers. I don't think collectors get cases of 1 toy. Someone got some extra to sell ;)

but if that guy got a volume discount, and you bought one from him on ebay for less than you would have at sdcc without waiting in line, would you be complaining?

but if that guy got a volume discount, and you bought one from him on ebay for less than you would have at sdcc without waiting in line, would you be complaining?

I think it odd that the guy would arrange a "volume discount" and then pick it up from SDCC. Never been to the show but Im guessing there isnt alot of readily available equiment to hand for moving that volume through large crowds of people, just seems if he is "doing business" with SSC then they need to look at how their getting their product out to retailers.

If that was on Sunday who cares if he gets a ton of exclusives. Hasrbo is thinking let this guy pack it up and ship it.

No the sad part is I saw this with EX figures every day including Wed. when they were selling out of a lot of them for the day.

this hobby is for all, collectors, buyers, sellers, they're all the same. if you've got the cash and you want to spend it, spend it. the manufacturers put limits on what you can purchase, so if you want to buy 6 cases of kneeling vaders from hasbro and they'll sell it to you, why not? that guy could take a giant hit and lose if he tries to resell. he may also make a bit. or he may be getting them as presents for a youth club or school auction to raise funds, the possibilities are endless. i've learned there's nothing wrong with hoarding, as many board members will attest. first come, first served.

Lately, there seems to be more sellers (flippers) in this hobby than actual collectors.

I mean Christ, Red Skull isn't even at your doorstep and you're already flippin the bastard in the Commerce section because it has "potential grail status". :rotfl

Back