Hereditary

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The mother confronting her son about not wanting to have him is a more powerful scene than in any horror movie in the past however many years. It doesn't have to be ghouls and goblins. THAT WAS HORRIFYING

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm I think it all depends on the viewer. Are you open minded and did you give yourself over to the film ? Let the film soak over you. That's how I view these types of movies. Like it follows, witch , babadook. They are for sure horror movies. Easily the best of the best. They are just not for everybody. If let a film like this possess you you will never forget it.

Babadook is phenomenal btw. That's just a mixture of amazing talent.

Come on man, I can see you're obviously into this movie, but just because someone wasn't as hyped as you are over it doesn't mean they weren't open minded or "giving themselves over to the film". Cool you dug it so much, not everyone is going to. Just as much as you say people went in wanting to hate it, the same can be said for people who were going to like it no matter what. I love horror flicks and am always excited that the one I see will be good, this just didn't do it for me. Wasn't a bad movie, the cinematography was good, acting by the mother good, but come on dude, I didn't find it was that much scarier/gorier/disturbing than a bunch of other movie, doesn't lessen your enjoyment. :1-1:

Never said it did ? Just saying Citrics aren't just pulling this out of their ass. He's going to go on to make great movies , collete is probably going to win something. And this will go down a great modern horror movie. And we all know the viewer scores going to be a zero while the critics score is going to be close to 100.its just that way with these types of films. I'm just saying it's a shame it's going to get torn apart like the witch and babadook did.

I'm not saying everybody and you, but I knowwwwwwwww a big problem is closed mindedness to structure of movies. It's fun to experiment in films it affects the audiences reaction for sure. Sometimes people just can't take it ( I'll never forget where I saw MOTHER ! That's for sure ) It's not always good or always bad for the movie itself. Frustration I think was a big part of this movie and some of the scenes played into my anxiety.

Never said it did ? Just saying Citrics aren't just pulling this out of their ass. He's going to go on to make great movies , collete is probably going to win something. And this will go down a great modern horror movie. And we all know the viewer scores going to be a zero while the critics score is going to be close to 100.its just that way with these types of films. I'm just saying it's a shame it's going to get torn apart like the witch and babadook did.

No doubt, it was a great first outing and I loved the long take shots. My point was, for me, I didn't get a whole "ohmygod I left the theater convulsing in fear and have never been so emotionally scarred, I will never be the same" as some people have said (not here, just bits of read on IG and such. I suppose it is all relative: for me, I find movies like Straw Dogs and Requiem for a Dream more psychologically draining/unsettling because they are so close to reality; hell, even the premise of Saw and Hostel are more disturbing because I mean that is a total ****show...what would you do-type circumstance that could without a doubt happen.

Also, I enjoy the slow-burn type horror flicks. Have you seen Under the Shadow? I just watched that the other night and thought it was decent.

No doubt, it was a great first outing and I loved the long take shots. My point was, for me, I didn't get a whole "ohmygod I left the theater convulsing in fear and have never been so emotionally scarred, I will never be the same" as some people have said (not here, just bits of read on IG and such. I suppose it is all relative: for me, I find movies like Straw Dogs and Requiem for a Dream more psychologically draining/unsettling because they are so close to reality; hell, even the premise of Saw and Hostel are more disturbing because I mean that is a total ****show...what would you do-type circumstance that could without a doubt happen.

Also, I enjoy the slow-burn type horror flicks. Have you seen Under the Shadow? I just watched that the other night and thought it was decent.

Yes I found the familial drama in this to be pretty much on par with the intensity in requiem for a dream. That same pit in the stomach is what I got. This movie probably I little more so. The " omg so scary " I will never understand. I'm not scared of movies in that way.

Under the shadow I found to be more basic and disappointing. No real layers , and it never ascends to ****ing with MY head. The raw terror just wasn't there. ( like I'n babadook when she wakes up holding her dead son ) Although I loved the scene with the sheet taking up the whole room.

Hmmm is this scary? Cause I’ll be honest . All these horror movies that get high praise in the last years have t scared me much. I’m no horror fan but when a scary movie gets high praise I get interested.

But babadook I thought was stupid
The first paranormal activity was meh
Veronica was ok
And the witch was just an unsettling movie. Wonder what makes this stand out. Saw a review that says it takes awhile for anything to happen

Honestly? No. I’d say it’s far more unsettling than scary. There’s some gut wrenching stuff in there and it’s one of those situations where, I was like “Oh, that was weird, but I think I liked it” going out, but, then, 10 or 12 hours later, I’d find myself thinking about it and obsessing over it and being creeped the **** our by some of the haunting imagery from it. But I prefer that, actually. Jump scares are good for a cheap thrill, but they aren’t particularly satisfying. It’s been, like, three days, now, and I still can’t stop thinking about this movie, so, make of that what you will.

Honestly? No. I’d say it’s far more unsettling than scary. There’s some gut wrenching stuff in there and it’s one of those situations where, I was like “Oh, that was weird, but I think I liked it” going out, but, then, 10 or 12 hours later, I’d find myself thinking about it and obsessing over it and being creeped the **** our by some of the haunting imagery from it. But I prefer that, actually. Jump scares are good for a cheap thrill, but they aren’t particularly satisfying. It’s been, like, three days, now, and I still can’t stop thinking about this movie, so, make of that what you will.

Interesting. I guess there are some people who like the haunted house horror and some who like the slow burn get under ur skin horror. Guess this one is one of those take in the atmosphere type horror movies and people especially today want something to happen right away so they aren’t bored. I’ll check this out tho

Interesting. I guess there are some people who like the haunted house horror and some who like the slow burn get under ur skin horror. Guess this one is one of those take in the atmosphere type horror movies and people especially today want something to happen right away so they aren’t bored. I’ll check this out tho

This is not that much slow burn, theres just some super freaky stuff. Messed up stuff

One question I had, a small plot element really, was...

Spoiler Spoiler:

...and it wasn't something that was really addressed later.

Under the bleachers I thought he was just high and having a ptsd type thing . In the classroom (I remember him making the tongue noise unless I'm wrong) so I'd say by the girl. But not too sure

Hmmm is this scary? Cause I’ll be honest . All these horror movies that get high praise in the last years have t scared me much. I’m no horror fan but when a scary movie gets high praise I get interested.

But babadook I thought was stupid
The first paranormal activity was meh
Veronica was ok
And the witch was just an unsettling movie. Wonder what makes this stand out. Saw a review that says it takes awhile for anything to happen

Scary? Depends on what scares you I guess. It has a nice atmosphere that all successful horror films needs.

Spoiler Spoiler:

A couple that went with us didn't like the movie. As we were leaving I pointed at the Slenderman poster and said that one is prolly better suited for you. :lol

One question I had, a small plot element really, was...

Spoiler Spoiler:

...and it wasn't something that was really addressed later.

The girl was allergic to nuts and ate cake with nuts . I think it was just her feeling that the sone was being subjected to.

The mother confronting her son about not wanting to have him is a more powerful scene than in any horror movie in the past however many years. It doesn't have to be ghouls and goblins. THAT WAS HORRIFYING

There's definitely a generational divide, with the scene. When I was in the theater, a lot of younger people simultaneously gasped out loud when the mother said that to her son. I'm over 40 years old. My generation were raised by narcissistic baby boomers, many of whom served a side of emotional abuse with breakfast, lunch and dinner. There was an animosity between my generation and our parents, that simply doesn't exist today. Think John Bender from the Breakfast Club... A lot of people I know, myself included went through crazy stuff with our parents that made the scene pale in comparison. On the one hand, I'm glad younger people generally don't have to experience that sort of thing. However, as desensitized Gen Xers, my partner and I were laughing at the reaction. Not because it was funny, but because it was a bit of a culture shock. It's great that the world is kinder, but as a result it's also much softer. That's a good thing, but at times it's funny.

There's definitely a generational divide, with the scene. When I was in the theater, a lot of younger people simultaneously gasped out loud when the mother said that to her son. I'm over 40 years old. My generation were raised by narcissistic baby boomers, many of whom served a side of emotional abuse with breakfast, lunch and dinner. There was an animosity between my generation and our parents, that simply doesn't exist today. Think John Bender from the Breakfast Club... A lot of people I know, myself included went through crazy stuff with our parents that made the scene pale in comparison. On the one hand, I'm glad younger people generally don't have to experience that sort of thing. However, as desensitized Gen Xers, my partner and I were laughing at the reaction. Not because it was funny, but because it was a bit of a culture shock. It's great that the world is kinder, but as a result it's also much softer. That's a good thing, but at times it's funny.

I'm in my 40's, movie was still freaky to me.

But I'm talking In context of the movie. With the past she has with sleep walking and whatnot especially with what she has done before. I'm speaking of the scene in which the son is in bed Not at the dinner table. The scene quickly spirals into the both of them screaming at the top of their lungs in mass hysteria , doused in what I assumed to be gasoline. Scary scary stuff. I hope no one lived like that with baby boomers 🤣🤣🤣
But yes I understand where your coming from. I just think with the context of the severe trauma and mental illness in the family that scene was played at the perfect moment. I could barely take it. My mom would have a hoot with this movie [emoji23]

But I'm talking In context of the movie. With the past she has with sleep walking and whatnot especially with what she has done before. I'm speaking of the scene in which the son is in bed Not at the dinner table. The scene quickly spirals into the both of them screaming at the top of their lungs in mass hysteria , doused in what I assumed to be gasoline. Scary scary stuff. I hope no one lived like that with baby boomers ������
But yes I understand where your coming from. I just think with the context of the severe trauma and mental illness in the family that scene was played at the perfect moment. I could barely take it. My mom would have a hoot with this movie [emoji23]

Don't get me wrong! That scene was very successful in evoking a response from the audience. Most of the theater gasped before the gasoline, when she said the horrible thing to him and back-peddled. The author definitely achieved pathos, only in a way that specifically resonated with a millennial generation in that specific moment. My generation is pretty numb to that sort of thing. There are countless examples within youth oriented pop culture for Gen Xer's. The most famous is the beginning of Twisted Sister's "We're Not Gonna Take It" video... Emotional abuse didn't evoke the same response for us. The typical response to parents and teachers (who'd now be fired for that sort of thing) was sarcasm and ridicule.

Edit: Another example involving cultural differences: The breast-feeding grandmother. No one in my generation would put up with that. Even my parents' baby boomer generation would have thrown the grandmother into a home, at that point. You'd lose pathos. But younger millenials seem to empathize with the mother's need to be accommodating, though it's obviously hyperbolic.

I thought it was a generally good film worth paying to see. However, I think the ending was problematic, and there were certain emotional cues that were effective but aimed at the millennial generation. I've read a lot of criticism online claiming that the negative response is likely coming from (you guessed it) Trump-loving alt right trolls. I think a lot of controversy regarding a disparity between critics and viewers is stemming from Gen Xers who have a very different, more aggressive culture than millennials.

Scary? Depends on what scares you I guess. It has a nice atmosphere that all successful horror films needs.

Spoiler Spoiler:

A couple that went with us didn't like the movie. As we were leaving I pointed at the Slenderman poster and said that one is prolly better suited for you. [emoji38]

The girl was allergic to nuts and ate cake with nuts . I think it was just her feeling that the sone was being subjected to.
Yeah, I know she had a nut allergy.

So, he was possessed by her at that time then? I don't know, didn't seem like it, but I could be wrong.

Ther car scene was, by far, the scene that the audience reacted to the most.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Franken Berry - totally agree. I'm in my early 30s and those scenes didn't resonate, because quite frankly, BTDT and then some. No big deal.

I do agree with Evilface about the tone, especially as he said
Spoiler Spoiler:

and I'd also add I liked the part

Spoiler Spoiler:

Back