Hatfields & McCoys

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm enjoying the series, its a little more watchable than I expected and its a little more fun than I thought it would be. Can't wait to see the wrap up tonight.

Tonights episode was about as romanticized as you could get. I'd say the vast majority was inaccurate. I can understand why they did it but to stick so closely on the first two parts just made it stand out more.

I enjoyed the series. Hard to believe that a lot of this actually happened. Talk about prideful. It seems that the Hatfields started things but the McCoys came across as bigger losers to me. Both families had a ton of kids too! It seems like the dads had to bury them all.

I enjoyed the series. Powerful drama and very realistic for the times. A good story but it is crazy to think all or most of this really happened. So many people get slaughtered.

I enjoyed Bill Paxtons character the most, wish he had more to do in the later parts of the series, sad what happen to his family.
I prob enjoyed part 1 the most tho.

The Hatfields started things and perpetuated most of it. They were a much more powerful and affluent family in the area and were well connected politically and financially, so technically, yes , the McCoys were the bigger losers. They also lost the most life and tried to do their fighting in the courtroom because it was the only power they had. While most of the men of the area were out fighting a war Devil was back home taking advantage of industry and largely profiting from it while a lot of others (not just McCoys) suffered in the area because of the war. The Hatfields thought they were the law and lived by the gun. Randall's three sons that killed Ellison were brought to justice but in the wrong manner and that made things linger. The McCoys were right to put out warrants on the Hatfields and the Supreme court agreed and upheld them. Phillips crew actually arrested 9 men, including Wall (he didn't turn himself in). They didn't do this until after they were legally deputized and the warrants issued though. Randall was outta the mix after his sons were murdered and it was Cline that continued the feud. Randall was 14 years older than Devil so he was an old man at the time most everything went down in tonight's episode and he wasn't involved in anything other than the New Years massacre. The reason why the Hatfields went to kill him is because he was the only one that could testify against them in the way the Hatfields kidnapped his sons and killed them themselves. The warrants were legit and they didn't have a leg to stand on so they did what they do and went to the guns.

Some other interesting notes...

Wall Hatfield participated in the New Years massacre and he wasn't the judge that presided over the pig case.

There was no shoot out between the two clans like they showed tonight. Randall was out of the game.

Randall and Devil didn't fight together in the civil war.

Devil didn't write a letter calling for peace. The government intervened and put an end to things to help attract the coal industry and rail industry to the area.

Sally was beaten senseless when she was attending to Allifair. She didn't come out dual wielding :lol

Last edited:
The Hatfields started things and perpetuated most of it. They were a much more powerful and affluent family in the area and were well connected politically and financially, so technically, yes , the McCoys were the bigger losers. They also lost the most life and tried to do their fighting in the courtroom because it was the only power they had. While most of the men of the area were out fighting a war Devil was back home taking advantage of industry and largely profiting from it while a lot of others (not just McCoys) suffered in the area because of the war. The Hatfields thought they were the law and lived by the gun. Randall's three sons that killed Ellison were brought to justice but in the wrong manner and that made things linger. The McCoys were right to put out warrants on the Hatfields and the Supreme court agreed and upheld them. Phillips crew actually arrested 9 men, including Wall (he didn't turn himself in). They didn't do this until after they were legally deputized and the warrants issued though. Randall was outta the mix after his sons were murdered and it was Cline that continued the feud. Randall was 14 years older than Devil so he was an old man at the time most everything went down in tonight's episode and he wasn't involved in anything other than the New Years massacre. The reason why the Hatfields went to kill him is because he was the only one that could testify against them in the way the Hatfields kidnapped his sons and killed them themselves. The warrants were legit and they didn't have a leg to stand on so they did what they do and went to the guns.

Some other interesting notes...

Wall Hatfield participated in the New Years massacre and he wasn't the judge that presided over the pig case.

There was no shoot out between the two clans like they showed tonight. Randall was out of the game.

Randall and Devil didn't fight together in the civil war.

Devil didn't write a letter calling for peace. The government intervened and put an end to things to help attract the coal industry and rail industry to the area.

Sally was beaten senseless when she was attending to Allifair. She didn't come out dual wielding :lol

...the two sides fought a pitched battle at Grapevine Creek, near present Matewan, on January 19
https://www.wvencyclopedia.org/articles/314
https://hatfieldmccoycountry.com/feud/

I didnt mean to sound like I was saying there wasn't a fight, I meant it wasn't an all out battle like it was portrayed and Devil and Randall weren't involved.

Yes, I know Randall and Devil weren't involved. Guess they had to have the two Stars in the battle.

That would be my guess, although I'm still not sure what they were trying to show with Randall. Was it their way of saying he was an old man being worn out and weak, because I don't feel like they did a very good job of noting the big age difference at any other point? I also felt like they were trying to allude to Randall possibly having post traumatic stress disorder, which I guess could be true, but Bill Paxton just ended up playing it as more of a crazy nutter than anything else.

On a side note I'll be at the feud reunion next week so I'll try and get some shots of the actual places instead of Romania :lol

That cool, love to see them. Learned a lot more about it because of this, made me want to research it and find the truth.

The Hatfields started things and perpetuated most of it. They were a much more powerful and affluent family in the area and were well connected politically and financially, so technically, yes , the McCoys were the bigger losers. They also lost the most life and tried to do their fighting in the courtroom because it was the only power they had. While most of the men of the area were out fighting a war Devil was back home taking advantage of industry and largely profiting from it while a lot of others (not just McCoys) suffered in the area because of the war. The Hatfields thought they were the law and lived by the gun.

Okay, I'm sufficiently convinced. You're a real McCoy, all right. :lol

I ended up watching through this twice, picked up a lot of things I missed here and there the first time. Overall, it was really good considering what they packed into 6 hours. Probably going to order the BR because I think I'll probably want to watch it again in the coming years. :clap

Yep that's my family. My great, great, great grandfather is Randolph's brother (Bill Paxton's character).

My mom says my great, great grandmother is a Hatfield, perhaps she's missing a 'great', but in any case. . . :nana:

Back