TRON 3: ARES

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victοr

BANNED
Reaction score
Tron.jpg

It's happening (for real this time).

I don't have much hope in it if I'm being honest. Disney buried TRON after Legacy to focus on Star Wars. Now that they've ruined Star Wars, they're coming back to this. As if that wasn't enough, Kosinski and Daft Punk aren't attached. Hell, who knows if Bridges even will be around? I don't know, I've been waiting for this for so long, but now all I feel is fear. Some excitement is there just for the fact that it'll be a thing, but mostly it's fear...

At the very least we'll get some dollies, and if we're lucky they'll bring back the Legacy cast or at least update those figures/characters. The problem here is that if it's starting to pick up steam now, it'll likely hit the screens in 2025 or 2026. Those two years have the ROTS Anniversary, FF, Avengers 5 & 6. And then there's InArt. I'm literally going to go broke trying to juggle it all... Whatever, if HT puts in the work, all the Tron dollies will be mine, no matter the cost.

Tron is carried by the aesthetics so they need to really pull no punches here. But it needs a good core as well. Legacy had plenty of soul in it, despite being a blockbuster. We'll see. Fingers crossed it's good.

I see no upside to either the director or Leto. This might fizzle like the others.
They've been talking about it for a long time now and they also announced a game a few months ago. They're trying to push it again before the 80s nostalgia fades away completely I figure. It'll probably be mediocre at best, but I hope to get some cool merch out of it.

I love Tron and would love to see a good movie again. I really loved the last movie. I just don't think Disney understands it. Not sure why. Maybe worldwide appeal is the issue. Maybe its too slick and simple -- kids today seem to like grungy cyperpunk (which seems dated to me). Perhaps Disney needs to find a mid-ground.

An interesting story might be to put the real world into the future, where the Tron-scape is now a place where humans visit, like an intended Meta-scape... but evil forces are at work in both the real world and the cyerworld. Common story, I know, but we haven't seen a really good action version of Ready Player One yet.

I really don't see the appeal of Leto. he's one of those mainstream actors that people seem to love. He's a right pain to work with, and Morebius, to name only one, was terrible. Such a wasted opportunity. Does not bode well for Tron.

I really don't see the appeal of Leto. he's one of those mainstream actors that people seem to love. He's a right pain to work with, and Morebius, to name only one, was terrible. Such a wasted opportunity. Does not bode well for Tron.
I don't know where you got the idea that people love him. Any time his name comes up it's nothing but hatred. Most of which is justified, because he's an arrogant creep. But he is absolutely universally disliked. Now 15 years ago during the era with 30 Seconds to Mars he was a big hit, but now... you're way off.

That being said, he's a decent enough actor, so that's fine. His performances in Mr Nobody and Blade Runner 2049 would fit with some of the eccentricity of Tron. I'd prefer he not have involvement, but it's not a death sentence if he is.

I love Tron and would love to see a good movie again. I really loved the last movie. I just don't think Disney understands it. Not sure why. Maybe worldwide appeal is the issue. Maybe its too slick and simple -- kids today seem to like grungy cyperpunk (which seems dated to me). Perhaps Disney needs to find a mid-ground.

An interesting story might be to put the real world into the future, where the Tron-scape is now a place where humans visit, like an intended Meta-scape... but evil forces are at work in both the real world and the cyerworld. Common story, I know, but we haven't seen a really good action version of Ready Player One yet.
Tron is kind of Cyberpunk, but not in the usual way. It's got many of the usual trappings but it's also an Isekai and aesthetically too clean. Disney buried it in favour of Marvel and Star Wars, but at the same time the Tron lore is... kinda of meshed up. Flynn goes into the computer and finds Digital Angels which will somehow change humanity. It's a very "woah, COMPUTERS" type of set up. It's going to need a bit of a shakeup to be made more marketable in the sense that it'll need some more well-rounded worldbuilding. How far does the Grid go?

As for the threequel's story, Ares might be a tip. Maybe the war CLU was planning will become a reality. That was the plan originally anyway. Tron 2 did jump into the future from Tron 1, and I expect 3 to do the same. The question here is how will they change the Grid while also keeping it familiar. How much further can you take the Sci-Fi Minimalism aesthetic?

We'll see. I'm intrigued, even if I'm not expecting much. In any case, I'll be waiting for the 700$ Leto dolly with the Lightcycle.

I don't know where you got the idea that people love him. Any time his name comes up it's nothing but hatred. Most of which is justified, because he's an arrogant creep. But he is absolutely universally disliked. Now 15 years ago during the era with 30 Seconds to Mars he was a big hit, but now... you're way off.

That being said, he's a decent enough actor, so that's fine. His performances in Mr Nobody and Blade Runner 2049 would fit with some of the eccentricity of Tron. I'd prefer he not have involvement, but it's not a death sentence if he is.
Easy, tiger. Some people do love him. Not sure what your beef was with what I said, considering we have the same opinion, but there you go. Hollywood keeps giving him chances. I'm not a fan of any of his perfomances.

IT'S TRONIN' TIME!

MORB.jpg

Thought it was weird when I saw the announcement this morning. Love Tron and there should be more of it, but there are better people for it than Leto.

My favorite quote about Leto is "He can act but he never seems to be acting in the same movie as everyone else."

I liked Tron Legacy.

I felt Hedlund and Wilde were miscast and poor choices for lead characters. The visuals, production quality, direction and soundtrack were incredible though.

I don't have a problem with giving Leto a chance. That role in Dallas Buyers Club was extremely difficult to pull off. He just seems like he's the kind of actor where you need to get him into the right part and the right script. Obviously his personal off camera stuff is going to incite people too.

I don't like Michael Sheen at all. I thought he was an insane choice to be put into the Underworld universe. But in Masters Of Sex, he was pretty fantastic in that first season, the only good season of the show. I believe if you get the casting right, you are 90 percent of the way there to something good. And if you get it wrong, there's not much you can do to save something.

A big struggle that Tron has is the wonder and excitement of the world building was built upon what people could conceive of and understood back in 1982. It's kind of like Phantom Menace coming out and people were already soaked into the ground breaking changes made in The Matrix, and the last light saber duel seemed so outdated already.

I liked the original Tron. I liked Tron Legacy ( though I think many didn't) But this might be like The Deer Hunter, where the cultural context of the film is simply too far outdated for the majority of a modern audience.

Last edited:
I liked Tron Legacy.

I felt Hedlund and Wilde were miscast and poor choices for lead characters. The visuals, production quality, direction and soundtrack were incredible though.

I don't have a problem with giving Leto a chance. That role in Dallas Buyers Club was extremely difficult to pull off. He just seems like he's the kind of actor where you need to get him into the right part and the right script. Obviously his personal off camera stuff is going to incite people too.

I don't like Michael Sheen at all. I thought he was an insane choice to be put into the Underworld universe. But in Masters Of Sex, he was pretty fantastic in that first season, the only good season of the show.

A big struggle that Tron has is the wonder and excitement of the world building was built upon what people could conceive of and understood back in 1982. It's kind of like Phantom Menace coming out and people were already soaked into the ground breaking changes made in The Matrix, and the last light saber duel seemed so outdated already.

I liked the original Tron. I liked Tron Legacy ( though I think many didn't) But this might be like The Deer Hunter, where the cultural context of the film is simply too far outdated for the majority of a modern audience.
I completely agree with all your points. I think to your very last paragraph, I think if the right writer and director were at the helm the cultural context wouldn't be the downfall. I think knowing that Disney has the reigns on this is why it's looking to fail. You look at what Denis Villeneuve was able to achieve with Blade Runner 2049, or even recently what was done with Andor compared to all the other recent Star Wars...

With the right direction and story the environment and setting just melts into the background and becomes a part of it, to become engrossed in. The irony is that the reason Tron Legacy was even remotely successful was because of the opposite, it was entirely the atmosphere and the setting mixed with the score that saved it, the story itself was pretty lackluster and uninspired.

I absolutely love Tron, I've been a huge fan since I was a kid. I made my own EL tape hoodie that I wore for several years for Halloween. So I hate that I'm looking at this and feeling very little excitement, other than maybe we'll get some new merch and maybe figures.

2024 release date.

So for 2024 I'm going to need to plan for Tron, Deadpool 3 (at least DP & Logan, plus whatever memberies), Blade and Dracula, possibly Sentry and maybe a specific armour or two from Armour Wars, maybe a Moon Knight if S2 rolls around then, and who knows what InArt will churn out, or if SW will finally put out something worthwhile. And then in 2025 the ROTS Anniversary and FF/KD hit. Great. I'm probably gonna have to sell my kidney. I'd turn to the streets but I'm not attractive enough for that line of work... Hm, maybe I could go the Heisenberg route. Wait, I'm not smart enough for that either... Oh well, maybe I'll be dead by a missile by then, so, meh.

Enough of my ranting. So, 2024 release date. It's happening. I wonder if Wilde will be back. I need a Quorra dolly, for... reasons. I'm hoping that Bridges at least returns, even if Sam is written off. The question here is if Leto's playing an OC or someone established. My wacky theory is that he's going to be playing a rebooted and younger Tron. It's kind of weird how the Tron series barely features Tron himself and people just remember Flynn. Bridges coming back as the Techno-God and Leto as a rebooted Tron in a new Grid is a good enough hook, especially if they want to keep it going.

Either way, I'm here for all the dollies. I hope HT doesn't pull any punches and comes up with material that won't deteriorate. The TRON Shelf is going to be an absolute show stealer if done properly.

Streaming fodder?

Probably. I just can’t believe they’re moving forward with it. Disney doesn’t give a crud about Tron, but now that they’re finally making Tron 3 (and referring to it as Tron 3), but not picking up where Legacy left off, with any returning actors or writers, I wish they’d just cancel it. This sucks.

Back