Has anyone ever tried to raise a Detolf?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For $19.99 it's worth a shot. I agree with your statement about the weight distribution, it makes perfect sense. I'd like to add some support for peace of mind but not sure how I'd go about it. Maybe I can borrow the neighbors kid for a day and have him stand on it as a tester ;)

Put a large garbage can on top of it and fill it with water - that will be MUCH heavier than the Detolf even after it's loaded with figures or statues of any kind.

Just don't go overboard, because depending on your container, you can easily get into quite a few hundred pounds. 1L of water weighs 1Kg (2.2lbs) - my garbage can is at least 121L (32gal) for example, about 266lbs of water. Maybe you have one of those 55 gallon bad-boys which will be over 450lbs when full. ;)

Last edited:
I wish! Our township is strict and the max size we can use are the 32 gal cans. I actually bought a few 44 gal cans and they happily refused to take them - I was not amused.

Anyhoo, thanks for the idea Pixel. Can't wait to see the neighbors faces when I leave a garbage can of water on an Expedit outside for 24 hours :lol

Why dont you try standing on it? The vertical braces will be where you would want to place the detolf as it will carry most of the load of the shelf.

Gonna go out and buy a couple of these this weekend for my Detolfs: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30265126/

Figured the individual ones would be better just in case I do end up adding more Detolfs to the collection that I won't be stuck with the 4 tier expedit

Any idea on how I should reinforce it to hold up the Detolf? Thinking of just slapping some plywood in the middle. Max load is liike 35 pounds and the Detolf is like 90

Last edited:
You won't need to reinforce it, but you may consider bracing it on the back with a square piece of plywood, secured all around the perimeter. Or get an Akurum 15" wide upper kitchen cabinet as a base, it will put the Detolf up to a better height.

All Done with the risers, just a little futzing with the cords and such left. It is amazing how much this has changed the feel of my display. The height makes a huge difference. Total cost was under $50, but I did use some materials I had on hand.

dr1t.jpg

The lighter area underneath is not visible other than in these pictures.

dr3p.jpg

I am loving that Detolf display :thud: fantastic :clap

Also found this display over on the SF

bugu8yty.jpg

Gonna go out and buy a couple of these this weekend for my Detolfs: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30265126/

Figured the individual ones would be better just in case I do end up adding more Detolfs to the collection that I won't be stuck with the 4 tier expedit

Any idea on how I should reinforce it to hold up the Detolf? Thinking of just slapping some plywood in the middle. Max load is liike 35 pounds and the Detolf is like 90

Hey Pete I got your message. My single Expedit is holding up fine. No cracks or signs of caving *knock on wood* :D

Wow, that guy sure loves his Marvel. Probab has another room with SS' Marvel stuff.

I used expedite cubes with door and drawer inserts, looks great, extra storage and cost around 100$
Sorry about the sideways pic...but you get the idea

I used expedite cubes with door and drawer inserts, looks great, extra storage and cost around 100$
Sorry about the sideways pic...but you get the idea

how did you mount them to the wall sideways like that?

anyway I really came here to say

REVENGE OF THE PITH!

helmet-collector-room-construction-8.jpg

Wouldn't it be possible to:

A) Buy 2 single Expedit cubes/units;

B) Build the first unit as standard;

C) Take the two side fibre/particle pieces unused from the remaining cube and place them equally spaced inside the built unit (i.e. bolt them in) so as to provide extra reinforcement to the built unit.

This would, of course, largely preclude the final built Expedit unit from being able to store anything inside, but it would provide some extra reinforcement surely when using the unit strictly as a riser or stand for a single Detolf?

0169850_PE325190_S3.JPG

C) Take the two side fibre/particle pieces unused from the remaining cube and place them equally spaced inside the built unit (i.e. bolt them in) so as to provide extra reinforcement to the built unit.

Totally unnecessary. You'll only need the one unit for each Detolf. However, IMO, the small Expedit doesn't raise a Detolf high enough - you really need something twice as tall to get the top shelf up high.

Expedit might work. My folks have a 5 x 6 cabinet and I have contemplated many times using a single cube like you are suggesting.

Never did any measurements but the total height of the two combined would be a little over 200 cm's. Sounds like eye-height for the top shelf to me. I personally never liked looking up at 1/6 figures, so why not?

Then again, it would depend on how high you want your top shelf to be.

For my Detolf on a single my eyes are level with the bases/feet of the figures on the top shelf and I'm 5'9" - 5'10" if that helps :lol

Back