Detolf back glass suddenly exploded!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texlander

Super Freak
Reaction score
I had one of my detolf shelves for a couple of years already and out of nowhere yesterday the back pane of glass just cracked—completely destroyed all the way up and down. No one was touching it at the time, hadn't messed with it in a long time. It sounded like an explosion (nearly gave my wife and I a heart attack!). I could see it happening if I'd overtightened it or something, but I was careful not to when assembling and if that was going to happen, you'd think it would have happened earlier. It's not in direct sunlight or anything that might seem to affect the temperature.

Has anyone else experienced this?

If so, was anyone able to get a replacement from IKEA or elsewhere?

WOW! I've had mine for about 10 years at this point. I plan on eventually getting new/custom shelving done in the future but this is definitely worrisome

I've had another detolf for years and so far no issues. But after a bit of googling, I did see at least one other reddit report saying the same thing had happened to him.

So I guess it DOES happen, how often is what I'm also curious about. Definitely scary. I'm sort of glad (relatively speaking) that it was the back pane and not the shelves themselves.

There really must be a perfect storm of material mix in the glass, weight of the detolf structure on the glass, temperature, and perhaps angle all working slowly to one day just... POP!

Quite often? What?

How often really? I've never heard of this, and I've had detolfs since the 90's.
I mean I suppose it’s subjective but I’ve seen what seems like a decent amount of posts where it’s happened in the past month or so.

I mean I suppose it’s subjective but I’ve seen what seems like a decent amount of posts where it’s happened in the past month or so.
Did you know if they mentioned any possible cause? Whether it was something affecting the glass (like pressure or temperature) or if it was a production defect?

Did you know if they mentioned any possible cause? Whether it was something affecting the glass (like pressure or temperature) or if it was a production defect?
They typically shatter for two reasons:

1) too much weight above the display shelves on the top of the unit
2) corner screws are too tight

Those reasons make sense, of course, but at least in my case those wouldn't apply. That's what was so surprising.

The metal frame expands in hot temps and retracts when cooler. If the screws were over tight the pressure would of increased when they were cooler and shatters the glass.

I've had it happen to me. It was one of the side panes. I had the unit for many years (along with 3 others) with no issues. It was kept in a temperature, light, and humidity controlled room.

Then in the middle of one night I hear a loud 'pop' that woke everyone up. Go to investigate and was horrified at what I saw. It being tempered glass it shattered into thousands of bits. It got into all the nooks and crannies, buried in the carpeting, and even into some figure outfits. Cleaning it up was a massive pain.

That was probably about 2 years ago. No issues since with any of my others. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again.

There's lots of reports of tempered glass from IKEA exploding. I'm really considering trashing the 1 Detolf that I have before anything is damaged.

Any tempered glass can do this, potentially. Its literally made under tension so it shatters completely when broken as a safety measure. Damage can cause it, invisible manufacturing defects can cause it, temperature changes can cause it, just about anything. Glass desks and tables do this frequently, as can any other piece of furniture made with large glass panes. Its always going to be possible, there is no way to completely prevent it. All luck of the draw

I've had it happen to me. It was one of the side panes. I had the unit for many years (along with 3 others) with no issues. It was kept in a temperature, light, and humidity controlled room.

Then in the middle of one night I hear a loud 'pop' that woke everyone up. Go to investigate and was horrified at what I saw. It being tempered glass it shattered into thousands of bits. It got into all the nooks and crannies, buried in the carpeting, and even into some figure outfits. Cleaning it up was a massive pain.

That was probably about 2 years ago. No issues since with any of my others. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again.

I'm sorry that happened (luckily mine was on non-carpeted floor), but it is good to know I'm not alone. I have one other detolf, fingers crossed...

I'm curious, for those that either don't use detolfs or have switched away, what is the current equivalent you use?

That Blaliden looks terrible.

I don't know why people are suddenly scared of detolfs after 30 years? I got most of mine when they had that crazy $30 sale. My last one cost me $59.99 I believe. So if you can wait, you can still get them cheap.

But maybe the loud voices of complaints have chipped away at another corner of this hobby.

Back