Has anyone ever tried to raise a Detolf?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, no problem. The honeycomb construction of the expedit is quite strong. Make sure you build it all tight and secure to the wall.

Have you guys never been to an aquarium shop to see 1000lbs+ of water and glass sitting on what's essentially a kitchen cabinet? ;)

Yes, no problem. The honeycomb construction of the expedit is quite strong. Make sure you build it all tight and secure to the wall.

Have you guys never been to an aquarium shop to see 1000lbs+ of water and glass sitting on what's essentially a kitchen cabinet? ;)

I def won't be using wall support, so is the Expedit a no go now? :monkey1

There's no issue with the Expedit, but I wouldn't put a Detolf up anywhere without anchoring it to the wall. It's just too easy to knock it over, especially if it's on top of something else.

Ok, thanks again pixel! Would you add any support to a single Expedit or do you think it's good as-is?

The area I'll have it raised in will literally be a zero traffic area, with Bestas immediately next to it and the Detolf tucked in a corner. The only way I could see something bumping it would be a stranger throwing a dog toy directly at the Detolf and my dog being that stupid :lol

Regardless, you're probably right - better safe than sorry. :)

I've clipped one of my Detolfs with my shoulder (hard) at least 3 or 4 times in the past six months. At least 2 of those times it would have definitely come off its support if it weren't 1. Screwed directly to it and 2. anchored to the wall. ;)

Which Expedit model are you asking about specifically? The smaller 2x2? If so, rotate it so that the top and bottom pieces are the longer ones - in other words they will sandwich the verticals. I just noticed they have a new single square model as well. Same advice for that one.

I was looking at the single, but the max load as per their site is 33lbs :horror

I don't need any storage inside, so like you said a cube/box riser would suffice ;)

I would't worry about that load capacity on the single. The 2x2 is 29lbs per shelf. But whatever he case, you want to spread the weight out over a large area.

If your'e worried about it, use a cabinet with particle or solid walls. It's the verticals that support the load.

How do you 'anchor' a detolf to the wall? Drill the glass?

What's wrong with drilling the bottom and top particle board pieces? ;) Incidentally, all IKEA glass cabinets/shelving are tempered so they can't be drilled or cut - they'll shatter into a million pieces.

Barbarian put 70lbs or weights on a single Detolf shelf and it held. Now that's going to the extreme so I'm sure 45- 50lbs should be fine.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

Oh, your were talking about the Max weight of a riser not a Detolf, my bad. :lol

I guess that what I get for opening my mouth without reading the thread. :lol

Yeah, I don't know anything about the risers. Sorry.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

Haha it's all good. But yeah, I' d like to lift a single Detolf on top of an Expedit cube or something similar that is designed to hold the weight :lol

Buy three. Assemble the first two and put ramps up against them and park the REAR end of your car on them. If it holds, then you're good to go for the Detolf with the third. If it breaks, buy another one or two and try something else to test the weight capacity. ;)

The rated weight is probably for the middle of the shelf and for the safety of the horizontal part (top or bottom) bending/snapping in half. The Detolf would be distributed over the whole thing including the verticals. The 5 cubby Expedit is no stronger than the single unit BTW, so you can wait it out to see if that other one falls apart. I'm looking into my crystal ball right now however and can tell you it's not going to happen.

I'd try it, but my Detolfs are already mounted and secured and there's no way I'm willfully taking them down - I have enough work left to do on this room! ;)

Back