Has anyone ever tried to raise a Detolf?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great post guy. I never considered this untill I saw this post. Some great examples on here.. Some bad ones too ;)

Anyone know about these little things you can get to raise the shelves in a detolf? I have been toying with some ideas, but not confident in my handy work and I want to play it safe and buy something..

Cheers

Alex

Check out my channel on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/user/Xanderthomas81

Follow me on Twitter @Radd_titan

Anyone know about these little things you can get to raise the shelves in a detolf? I have been toying with some ideas, but not confident in my handy work and I want to play it safe and buy something..

Cheers

Alex

1/4 inch wire clamps. Less than a dollar each at any hardware store. :)

Now that the expedit is gonna be out of production, can anyone recommend a cube to put the detolf on?

The Expedit's replacement is pretty much the same thing except with slightly thinner sides. But my top recommendation is to use an Akurum upper cabinet with a Harlig door, covering the sides with your choice of panels. Very slick. Or you can buy a similarly sized upper kitchen cabinet at Home Depot or other big-box store - they always seem to have at least one style of cabinet discounted on sale.

The Expedit's replacement is pretty much the same thing except with slightly thinner sides. But my top recommendation is to use an Akurum upper cabinet with a Harlig door, covering the sides with your choice of panels. Very slick. Or you can buy a similarly sized upper kitchen cabinet at Home Depot or other big-box store - they always seem to have at least one style of cabinet discounted on sale.

I was thinking bout this but I am afraid that the sides are too thin to support the weight.

I was thinking bout this but I am afraid that the sides are too thin to support the weight.

Thickness has nothing to do with support capabilities in this case. :) As long as the cabinet is dimensionally stable. You guys know that many kitchen cabinets feature granite, marble, concrete or other insanely heavy counter tops right? Same cabinets.

Now, don't ever kick in the side of the cabinet - thickness will definitely help save it from falling apart from a kick. ;)

Great post guy. I never considered this untill I saw this post. Some great examples on here.. Some bad ones too ;)

Cheers

Alex

I used 2 pieces of lexan to raise the shelf support so the shelf rests on the 2 lexan pieces instead of the shelf bar. Did it to fit Hulk. Kinda hard to explain but I can take pics when I'm home.

Pixel, which cabinets are those? I love this look!

It's all in my showroom thread, you should have a look (and read). The Detolfs (I have 3) are all raised on top of Akurum cabinets that have been modified to lower their height a few inches and to create a recessed toe-kick. The door is a Harlig model, the lowest priced IKEA sells. On the sides I've added Nexus panels which I cut down from a larger piece I bought in the AS-IS section.

At the back is a Malm 3-drawer dresser with its top removed and its frame painted black. I created the cabinet to the right with a Harlig door and the top for the whole thing is a slab of 3/4" MDF.

So with Expedite now being replaced by the Kallax, and the Kallax not having a 1 x 5 set, I can't really set up 4 detolfs on top of the 4 kallax shelves.

I'm worried about the Kallax 1 x 4 not being able to withstand the weight of 4 detolfs as they would overhang on the sides.

Any alternatives for raising about the size of 1 detolf shelf, 16 inches tall?

EDIT: Oops, I had recommended gluing together 5 1x1 units but I just realized they don't have a 1x1 in Kallax.

Search local classifieds like Craigslist or Kijiji for someone selling the 1x5 Expedit. Here in my area, there are always various models available and it wouldn't take too long to find one.

Last edited:
Found a 1 x 5 expedit on craigslist for 25$ beyond stoked!

I just set it up and am now relighting the case.

It is absolutely insane how much better it looks. The bottom shelf finally gets some love, I'm really happy with the adjustment

Ooh, nice find! After replacing Expedit with Kallax IKEA discontinued the five wide or five high if I am not mistaken. Is it in the color you wanted?

Yes the exact colour, dark brown/black

Heres a picture, please disregard all the wires and the mess I am re-wiring relighting the entire cab with new lights, I'm also putting drawers in all the holes of the expedit so it looks cleaner.

Pretty sure I covered this in my showroom thread - or farther back in this very thread, in detail.

Back