Has anyone ever tried to raise a Detolf?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't mind looking up, but I don't want to look down sharply (at the top of any figures) on any of the displays in this room. So a higher base lets me comfortably look across at only a shallow downward angle to the first shelf when sitting in my office chair. I have three Detolfs and only one of them is using the standard glass shelves, the others are all custom and opaque. It also means I can swing the chair around and open a cabinet without ever getting out of the chair. ;)

Whats the safest way to lift up the detolf? Would 2 ppl be enough? Would I need to disassemble the detolf 1st?

Two people should be able to lift it without issue. Grab with one hand (each) on the bottom/base and one hand on the glass for support to prevent tipping. Bend at the knees.

Do you mean lift in general or to put stands on the bottom? If the latter, so long as the shelf is empty, tilt over on it's back and screw in the stands, and tilt back. They are generally pretty light. Sorry if I misunderstood.

I'm pretty sure he means to lift it onto something else, given the subject of this thread. ;)

if ur planning on getting more than one detolf or 4 .. get an Expedit

https://www.ikea.com/ae/en/catalog/products/20116274/#/90116275

i got one, put it horizontally, and will be putting all the Detolfs on it.. just put the detolfs smartly on it, on its strength points and it will carry the weight perfectly fine. check the below picture, a bit messy but shows u exactly what i did

20140311_150842.jpg

Whats the safest way to lift up the detolf? Would 2 ppl be enough? Would I need to disassemble the detolf 1st?

dont try to lift it by yourself as i stupidly did... i put the door side facing me so my body would keep it closed.. and just lifted it.... it is possible.. but you will spend the next day with back pain hehe

if ur planning on getting more than one detolf or 4 .. get an Expedit

https://www.ikea.com/ae/en/catalog/products/20116274/#/90116275

i got one, put it horizontally, and will be putting all the Detolfs on it.. just put the detolfs smartly on it, on its strength points and it will carry the weight perfectly fine. check the below picture, a bit messy but shows u exactly what i did

View attachment 98071

I realllllllllllly wanted to do this but after going to Ikea and reading the max weight suggestions on the Expedit I opted not to since it was less than 40lbs. Very risky putting multiple Detolfs that exceed 100lbs each on a single Expedit though it has been done.

I realllllllllllly wanted to do this but after going to Ikea and reading the max weight suggestions on the Expedit I opted not to since it was less than 40lbs. Very risky putting multiple Detolfs that exceed 100lbs each on a single Expedit though it has been done.

dont forget you are distributing the weight of these 4 detolfs all over the expedit. and when u put it smartly on the strength points it can hold pretty well...

i have seen pictures of people having heavy statues on the detolfs and the expedit held really well...

dont forget you are distributing the weight of these 4 detolfs all over the expedit. and when u put it smartly on the strength points it can hold pretty well...

i have seen pictures of people having heavy statues on the detolfs and the expedit held really well...

Very true, Still that's exceeding 400 lbs but I guess I'm being a chicken :lol

I'd add supports myself but I wish you nothing but the best! :hi5:

There's no product rating at IKEA that covers this type of setup. ;) It should be totally fine, but there's no way IKEA will ever endorse it. How many times have I said it's totally fine to stack a Detolf onto a 1x1 Expedit cube again? Haha.

I'm contemplating buying my first detolf for my room but the only spot I would be able to set it on would be a nightstand... Not entirely sure if I want to do that and how safe it would be.

I'm contemplating buying my first detolf for my room but the only spot I would be able to set it on would be a nightstand... Not entirely sure if I want to do that and how safe it would be.
dude i dont think thats a good idea!!!

how high is the inghstand?

dude i dont think thats a good idea!!!

how high is the inghstand?

Not entirely sure, if memory serves me right it might be 2 - 2 1/2 ft tall? I'll have to check when I get home. I know its been able to hold me on it while hanging stuff on walls (I dont use ladders/stools much... :rotfl ) but thats not for an extended period of time.

Just make sure the night stand is both sturdy AND stable. Then also anchor the nightstand AND Detolf (at the top) to the wall.

Looking for ideas to raise my detolfs. I have 4 detolfs and 1 curio cabinet like the detolf only twice as big with the same height. Been looking in many furniture stores for ideas.

IKEA Kitchen cabinet upper. Priced competitively, strong and can be surfaced in any style you want using IKEA panels.

Back