Guys I got a job at The Disney Store!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmm, clearly sick policies in Australia are somewhat different then in the US.

For the most part, we get 10 days sick leave a year (full pay), which is separate from the 4 weeks annual leave.
For the most part, if you are sick, especially a cold/flu, then they want you to stay home, it just seems insane, especially in retail, to expect/make sick ppl come to work and then make every other worker, plus the whole public sick.
If you take more then 2-3 days, then you need a doctors certificate, but other then that you're fine.

However, having said that, apart from a recent week and half off sick (due to a car crash), in the past 5 and half years of my current job, I've had a total of 1 day off sick. I basically just don't get sick, at every job I've ever had, during flu season, I've watch all those around me drop like flies. As two ppl come back, another 2-3 go off sick and the whole time I'm just there watching it all happen.

On a side note Cloud, while changing your hair to black from blue was no doubt a good start, it was never going to be enough. Disney of all places, would be the last place one could be an 'individual'. Still, I'm sure you'll find somewhere more suitable.

I get 2 sick days paid a month that accumilate if I don't use them. I can use 3 in a row without a doctor's excuse. If I'm off more than 3 days and I haven't seen a doctor, I don't get paid for any days over 3.

Right at this moment, I have 118 accumilated sick days that I can still use. When, or if, I retire from there, I get 1/2 of any of those days I have left in a lump sum payment.

I would trade this for better dental coverage.

You're lucky, your sick days roll over. we get 5 "personal holidays" to use as we choose, be it being sick or mental health or whatever. But they don't roll over, so better use your "personal holidays" before vacation time. That is in addition to whatever paid vacation we get a year. I'm currently at 3 weeks, soon to be 4 weeks a year, and it does roll over to a maximum of 200 hours.

Personally, I can see why my work takes a strict stance on "sick time" because we had one individual who would call in sick at least 2X a month, if not more. It was like clockwork. And management did nothing about it. We used to have unlimited sick days, but because people always abuse the system, they eventually enforced this policy at the cost of everyone's expense; always a couple bad apples to ruin it for all. When this individual had the new policy imposed, they got on "FMLA" and are now untouchable.

So basically a social worker? I didn't think social workers got paid squat, at least not enough to afford this hobby.

I'm working for an university institute that has a wing that take care of problem childs.So its governemental and its well paid.

So are you saying you're an overpaid, underworked, oversexed government employee?

;)

Yes...........:woo

So basically a social worker? I didn't think social workers got paid squat, at least not enough to afford this hobby.

Come on, be honest, you're a male gigolo on the side, yes?

Depends on where you work. Working at hospitals most social workers make decent money (nowhere near what the docs are making), but in the Veterans Affairs they have a sliding scale that ranges between 56k to 118k depending on what your GS rating is.

I used to work at the WB Studio Store, I was a gallery supervisor, one of my most favorite jobs. I helped out a bit on the sales floor, but mostly worked in the Gallery, we got really good discounts especially around xmas time up to 50%. Really great stuff there too, I was more of a WB fan than Disney. Really sad they had to close down the stores they always seemed like they did really well...but just not enough to make the execs happy :thwak

^^^yeah I loved the WB store when it was open at my mall. I remember back in the day when the "new" mall was opening and they had the Disney store on one side of the courtyard and the WB store directly across from it. They always played the Animaniacs whenever I went in there. Never any of the Batman animated show.

You're lucky, your sick days roll over. we get 5 "personal holidays" to use as we choose, be it being sick or mental health or whatever. But they don't roll over, so better use your "personal holidays" before vacation time. That is in addition to whatever paid vacation we get a year. I'm currently at 3 weeks, soon to be 4 weeks a year, and it does roll over to a maximum of 200 hours.

Personally, I can see why my work takes a strict stance on "sick time" because we had one individual who would call in sick at least 2X a month, if not more. It was like clockwork. And management did nothing about it. We used to have unlimited sick days, but because people always abuse the system, they eventually enforced this policy at the cost of everyone's expense; always a couple bad apples to ruin it for all. When this individual had the new policy imposed, they got on "FMLA" and are now untouchable.

I get 3 personal days, two of which I can take with no reason, like a mini vacation and the other one has to be a reason other than sick, like having to go to a lawyer, or act of God, things like that. Funeral leave isn't counted in that. You can take 3 days for a close relative (you can take more if you need to, but those use your sick days) or one for someone like an aunt or cousin. You have to turn in the obit with your paperwork.

I get no paid vacations since I have about 10 weeks off in the summer unpaid. This is why I have to have a second income.

And with sick days, I can't abuse it. If they feel someone is taking time off using sick days when they aren't really sick, you can get written up for it. There are some who take a sick day every time they accumulate one, or they always are sick on Monday or Friday. That can cause you trouble. I'm rarely off, so when I do take off, they know I have to be sick. They may not like it, but that's just tough poop.

I work for myself.

If I don't work, I don't get paid. But no boss to give me $h!t. Just call clients to cancel and receive their Get-Well-Soons.

Works for me. :D

That is indeed the way to work in my opinion. Being your own boss leaves more responsibility but i'm sure it is well worth it.

Back