Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw it a second time the other day. Held up pretty well. We had two really loud guys who commented on everything, mostly reactionary though. So it was pretty funny. Plus having already seen the movie, I didn't care as much. Lot's of "oh daaaamn!"'s and "why the **** did he do dat!"'s :lol

I saw it a second time the other day. Held up pretty well. We had two really loud guys who commented on everything, mostly reactionary though. So it was pretty funny. Plus having already seen the movie, I didn't care as much. Lot's of "oh daaaamn!"'s and "why the **** did he do dat!"'s :lol

Those are my favorite kind of patrons. :rotfl

"Ohhh, did you see dat...wut.... Yo...GTFO...wut"

:horror

Box Office Mojo:

The Conjuring's $41.5 million debut is a new record for an original R-rated horror movie ahead of last month's The Purge ($34.1 million). It's also the second-highest start ever for a supernatural horror movie ahead of Paranormal Activity 2 ($40.7 million). For distributor Warner Bros., it's also higher than Pacific Rim's opening last weekend, which is particularly noteworthy given Pacific Rim's price tag was nearly ten times as high as that of The Conjuring.

:horror

Box Office Mojo:

The Conjuring's $41.5 million debut is a new record for an original R-rated horror movie ahead of last month's The Purge ($34.1 million). It's also the second-highest start ever for a supernatural horror movie ahead of Paranormal Activity 2 ($40.7 million). For distributor Warner Bros., it's also higher than Pacific Rim's opening last weekend, which is particularly noteworthy given Pacific Rim's price tag was nearly ten times as high as that of The Conjuring.

Bummer man. But good for the Conjuring, I hear it's good.

The Conjuring is the best horror film in years. Good for it. Happy for it.

Maybe we'll get more original R-Rated horror films now.

The Conjuring is the best horror film in years. Good for it. Happy for it.

Maybe we'll get more original R-Rated horror films now.

isn't the conjuring from the guy that did saw? If it's him he's a pretty damn good film maker. So I might check out that film. On another note Pacific rim has made 190 million world wide, so that's not to bad, it won't reach "we need to make a sequel!" numbers but atleast it's not a total loss.

Pacific Rim is doing pretty well overseas though, over $100 million internationally. And I don't think it's opened in Japan

really? what are they waiting for? lol It just seems like Japan and china would probably be really big markets for them, I know it's opened in China.

Just saw this yesterday and I liked it. It did exactly what it set out to do which is exactly what I expected. Bigass monsters vs. bigass robots and Del Toro did a great job giving them watchable cgi/physics. Obviously it ain't Oscar material but it's really too bad more people didn't think it would be fun to watch. It was.

I watched it last night and really wanted to love this as a GDT fan, but for me I have to be honest and say it was pretty awful.

Some of the worst acting since Megan Fox hit the scene, I dunno if it's meant to be intentionally bad in a sharknado way but whatever we're here to see monsters duke it out not Hamlet.

As for the kaiju themselves I could look past the fact that all of them look the same (OMG clonez!) if we got some exciting and unique battles. Watching lumps of cgi greyness thrashing around in the dark AND in water makes for some of the most confusing action ever filmed.

If there's anyone on the planet who could have pulled off a stunning marriage of cg/practical creatures as throwback to classic Toho it would have been Del Toro but it just felt like watching a boring cutscene in a game.

I liked Ron Perlman's shoes though, so there's that.

I feel like when the acting is a bit lacking in a film, just a bit, people instantly pull out the "worst acting ever" card.

really? what are they waiting for? lol It just seems like Japan and china would probably be really big markets for them, I know it's opened in China.

I'm wondering at this point if it's actually supposed to be released in Japan, it's not on the International list on boxofficemojo and it seems kind of late at this point to release it there. I don't know if it can make tons of money there or if success would be like how it is doing in South Korea at around $10 million, it's probably worth it for that.

Watching lumps of cgi greyness thrashing around in the dark AND in water makes for some of the most confusing action ever filmed.
Too bad you didn't enjoy the movie, but "most confusing action ever filmed", really? I thought that honor belonged to the Transformers sequels, all I saw there was silver metal grinding in the second movie, so I didn't bother with the third.

Still besides some too close up shots, this movie had many clear large scale fight sequences despite being in the night. But there are many others who felt the action was not good enough, so what do I know.

Silver lining indeed :)

I watched it last night and really wanted to love this as a GDT fan, but for me I have to be honest and say it was pretty awful.

Some of the worst acting since Megan Fox hit the scene, I dunno if it's meant to be intentionally bad in a sharknado way but whatever we're here to see monsters duke it out not Hamlet.

As for the kaiju themselves I could look past the fact that all of them look the same (OMG clonez!) if we got some exciting and unique battles. Watching lumps of cgi greyness thrashing around in the dark AND in water makes for some of the most confusing action ever filmed.

If there's anyone on the planet who could have pulled off a stunning marriage of cg/practical creatures as throwback to classic Toho it would have been Del Toro but it just felt like watching a boring cutscene in a game.

Yeah, that's a bit much on the hyperbole. I would watch any of these actors read a phone book over anything with Megan Fox.

And if you thought this was just "lumps of CGI greyness thrashing about" I'm curious as to what you thought of Bayformers.

Back