Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Del Toro said he'll watch Eva soon. He might take things from that finally.

But who cares. He made a love letter to dumb robot anime shows.

If your movie has giant robots, and it's NOT cheesy, then you just don't get it. Period.

That, and I'm just used to this stuff. I have a huge collection of Kaiju movies, and various anime's. So everything was just par for the course for me.

That whole scene where they're sitting in the docking bay, looking at Gypsy Danger, and they start talking about it's heart. It wreaked of anime cheese.

This movie wore it's heart on it's sleeve to to speak. It knew what it was, it didn't hide what it was. It was what it was.

I wasn't :lol

I was fully prepared.
Of course you'd imagine a film about giant robots fighting giant monsters to have tons of cheese, but knowing that GDT was behind this I was a bit surprised at the dialogue.

Hellboy had lots of comedic dialogue, but it was never overly cheesy.

I'm not complaining about the dialogue necessarily, I don't think it's that big of a deal. Though it did make the main characters lose a bit of respect and emotion from me.

Look, this is a movie about giant robots punching giant monsters. The characters are simple, the story is simple. It's a film made with kids in mind. There wasn't an ounce of cynicism in the entire movie. And it definitely believed it's own world. It loved it's own world. It relished in being a big, goofy, cliched movie.

I don't want to turn this into another Man of Steel thread, where all the fans get butt hurt and freak out every time someone says something nasty about their film. So, i'm not hating on you. I'm just pointing out a few things.

But they key thing here is...this movie never took itself too seriously. I think the darkest thing in the entire movie is Mako's flashback. It was nice to see a movie that wasn't brooding or ****ing annoying with all it's dark dour bull****. :lol

I won't say this movie isn't for everyone, because it should be. I don't know. :lol

I know man. Completely get that, I never take these threads too seriously. I guess I just wanted the acting and performance stuff to be as sophisticated as the visuals. I think "fun" dumbass movies should be made well as some biopic. But we are all entitled to our views. Unlike some others on here I totally respect others having polar opposite views to me! (I love Halloween III for gawds sake)
:lol

Of course you'd imagine a film about giant robots fighting giant monsters to have tons of cheese, but knowing that GDT was behind this I was a bit surprised at the dialogue.

Hellboy had lots of comedic dialogue, but it was never overly cheesy.

I'm not complaining about the dialogue necessarily, I don't think it's that big of a deal. Though it did make the main characters lose a bit of respect and emotion from me.

I think you need to watch Hellboy again...It's cheesy as **** :lol

I know man. Completely get that, I never take these threads too seriously. I guess I just wanted the acting and performance stuff to be as sophisticated as the visuals. I think "fun" dumbass movies should be made well as some biopic. But we are all entitled to our views. Unlike some others on here I totally respect others having polar opposite views to me!
:lol

But it was made well. It was made very well. It's not a dumb movie, as you call it, but it's not a smart movie. It's just a simple movie. Everything is simple. That's not the same as dumb. Dumb is like Transformers, where everything is overcomplicated to a point of not making sense.

If you hate the movie, fine. No worries. But for all it's flaws, it does have a lot of aspects which it succeeds in. And while the film has cornball acting, and a goofy script, I feel like that's why it works.

Despite me not taking Transformers seriously, those movies take themselves too seriously. There's no reason for them to be like that.

I feel sad for people who can't get enjoyment out of movies. There are some members on this board who do nothing but complain about every single movie. It's quite pathetic. I guess the constant attention they get might be the reason.:dunno

But it was made well. It was made very well. It's not a dumb movie, as you call it, but it's not a smart movie. It's just a simple movie. Everything is simple. That's not the same as dumb. Dumb is like Transformers, where everything is overcomplicated to a point of not making sense.

If you hate the movie, fine. No worries. But for all it's flaws, it does have a lot of aspects which it succeeds in. And while the film has cornball acting, and a goofy script, I feel like that's why it works.

Despite me not taking Transformers seriously, those movies take themselves too seriously. There's no reason for them to be like that.

I guess we will agree to differ there. Beyond the VFX I thought it was poorly executed, and I don't mean knowingly poor, just not great (script/acting/perf).

I have never thought that about Hellboy or any other DT movie, even Mimic.

I have found this summers movies pretty disappointing to be honest. Loved the first 45mins of MOS. Really enjoyed Iron Man 3 (despite what everyone says). And thought Star Trek was solid but pointless entertainment. This was just a let down for me. Not smart or clever or maybe even dumb enough. To me there's a big difference between dumb and knowingly dumb.

But everyone perceives these things differently.

Last edited:
Evangelion itself has a deeper story and far more complex characters than everything.... Scholars everywhere, are still trying to figure out that damn thing :lol

Yup, after reading a couple kant and sartre books, I still don't get human instrumentality :lol

So what?.....

I know this film is lighter, fun and "non cynical" and I like it for what it is, just don't tell me kaiju/robot animes are dumb, that's oxymoronic.

Again though this film didn't take itself too seriously. It didn't have too. It was meant to be fun and not the usual dark and depressing apocalyptic disaster movie. It was perfect how it was.

I agree, I don't deny that in the least.

Del Toro isn't an idiot. He made the film he wanted to make. Every step of the way.

Oh I know, he is incredibly passionate about his work, doesn't mean he is infallible though. I work with some of his regulars a bit, Wayne Barlowe (a lot) and Doug Jones, both have told me how completely obsessed he is with his projects and what a smart cool geek he is.

So I broke my rule about not going to theaters and saw this today.

I have yo say, I liked it.... but I didn't love it.

I like the movie a lot, and I loved some things about it. I really really enjoyed seeing the two scientist characters, they were pretty much my favorite characters.
I have to say, it is kind of weird, but I loved the parts with people talking more than the robot smashing. The monster fights looked amazing but since every trailer and movie clip showed the best parts of them I was not as excited. I don't know I have to see it again. My first time I was really interested in the characters but maybe the next time I see it I will pay more attention to the fights.

The Kaiju were kind of a little boring because the all kind of looked the same. I have seen pictures of the toys and the trailers but still in the movie they felt kind of boring. Seeing the movie now I kind of wish they did more with them.... They should have had different colors or something.
The Robots were really cool. I loved the robots more than the monsters.

I loved the beginning of the movie and I loved the scenes in Hong Kong the most, Specially when the guy goes to ask for the brain. Hilarious.

The final fight was okay but it wasn't great. it was a little bit confusing as to what was going on and it wasn't as good as the previous fight. The ending was pretty good.

Two things I kind of hated..
one, the two Australian pilots. They were pretty awful...... I saw people complaining about them online and...yeah they were the worst thing about the movie for me. They flat out sucked!

Second thing I hated was the music. It sucked..... It kind of ruined the fights and the movie a little bit for me. (Maybe that's why I didn't fully like the fights, because the music for me was kind of awful)

The story was kind of thin but I liked it. I didn't see a problem with it like some people were saying. It's simple but Like I said already my favorite parts or the movie was the human parts. The movie still felt kind of too long.

This movie visually was amazing but it was missing something. You can tell Guillermo didn't write it. It didn't feel right. Something was missing from it. It was good but not as good as Hellboy 1 or 2 for example.

This is my least favorite Guillermo Del Toro movie, but I still liked it a lot. Just not as much as the other movies he has made.

Last edited:
Back