Ghostbusters 1/4 Peter Venkman HCG

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
images

HCG is making a no brainer look difficult. Just do the guys in these poses. It perfectly sums each one up and makes for a perfect display together. Simple...

Yes but..... Where's Winston??

Good news about the sculpt and congratulations to Trevor for getting the commission.
I think they should revisit the pose, doesnt look natural and maybe the four bases should fit together as most will now try and collect the set.
I also think because of the nature of the suit plus proton pack they should make it mixed media.

Mixed media all the way! But they won't because it cost too much for them to make. I had a discussion with an HCG rep at Comic Con about it. Which is strange since their statues cost about the same as SSC's statue but I guess they're a smaller company???. Anyways, no mix media on this one.

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus

Smaller production runs, and fewer other efficiencies in terms of contracts with factories, distributors, etc. could contribute to a price difference. But then, SSC produces lots of non-mixed-media statues that run about the same price as traditional PFs. Look at the new Wolverine, which is significantly more expensive than the real PF (I don't consider non-mixed media 1/4 scale statues real PFs) we got a few years ago.

Mixed media is cheaper to make generally...

According to the guy at HCG mixed media is expensive because of the fabric cost and tailoring required for each individual statue. Still, when you have a big license like Ghostbusters you just do it because you know it will sell and you will get your money back. The ghostbusters brand does not have high end collectibles so you could set your price up for profit and people will buy-it's not like Star Wars or the Terminator brand that has statues or figures every other year. Just saying they could do it mixed media and make a profit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mixed media is cheaper to make generally...
Do you have a reference for this? Because I would be very surprised if it were so. With mixed media, you still have to use the base statue out of polystone (or comparable material), and at least part of it is usually detailed and painted, as a full sculpted statue would be. Mixed media means different material that has to be purchased, tailored or molded, and then applied to the rest of the statue. And this could range from cloth to metal. Maybe in some select cases it would be cheaper, but hard for me to imagine this being the case generally.

Well there you go... if HCG can get Trevor on board and maybe keep him around they will be able to put out some great pieces.

Do you have a reference for this? Because I would be very surprised if it were so. With mixed media, you still have to use the base statue out of polystone (or comparable material), and at least part of it is usually detailed and painted, as a full sculpted statue would be. Mixed media means different material that has to be purchased, tailored or molded, and then applied to the rest of the statue. And this could range from cloth to metal. Maybe in some select cases it would be cheaper, but hard for me to imagine this being the case generally.

Too much effort to go hunting sorry :( I remeber either Igo/Alex mentioning it about CoTD pieces and for sure Jerry has mentioned it as to why Scorp/Sup is cheaper then the other 1:3 and also why the mixed media SF line is cheaper then the action pose line (also cause they're bigger ;p). The metal, chain etc is honestly the cheapest part. The "leather" they use is of the cheapest quality and the cloth is quite cheap as well and essentially saves you a lot of detail that would otherwise have been casted. You also have to think about it not just in oh that looks like the same material.

Molds are likely different, more expensive. Also since it's detail that has to be viewed that means they have to be perfect casts, so your going to end up with a fair number of thrown away moldings. It is also likely more labor intensive when pulling detailed molds for the same reason. The tailoring costs are likely cheaper then the painting costs. I think the only ones it would actually end up being more expensive is when they are small details, but when it's something like his entire outfit, it's less material, less molds, less labor etc.

Also here on the proto, I think it looks really good. It's not that easy to tell if it's mm or sculpted, though a lot of that is probably due to the paint job. IMO mixed media in general looks worse as it just looks oversized and doll like often. And I certainly wouldn't ask HCG to do it, I don't remember them making any other attempts into MM. Do you want their first after they've been an all-sculpted shop to be your favorite? :p

I'm pretty sure I've seen Alex and Igo both say the opposite, that mixed media is more expensive for them for make in a lot of the cases.

I think what's most likely is that it varies by the piece, the design of the MM, the material needed, and the delicate intricacies involved.

I thought I said alex say it otherwise, but tbh I'd be surprised if Alex said it one way or another as she generally stays away from those questions as they aren't in her sort of area. But again even if so it would be for smaller details. Larger stuff, like for example a cape or full body suit would definitely be cheaper.

Back