GG Blackhole Stormtrooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Darth Loki said:

Not sure what you're trying to say DL? I'm not trying to bust your balls or anything. I'm just making a point overall. If you're trying to say I'm crying like a baby over missing something well.........

jlcmsu said:
Not sure what you're trying to say DL. I'm not trying to bust your balls or anything. I'm just making a point overall. If you're trying to say I'm crying like a baby over missing something well.........

As soon as I posted that I'd knew you'd take it the wrong way. I meant it that your making feel bad, not that you're crying.

Darth Loki said:
As soon as I posted that I'd knew you'd take it the wrong way. I meant it that your making feel bad, not that you're crying.

Well, some words would be helpful. Like I said I've got nothing against ya. You have to do what you have to do. I don't agree with it but as I said that's not my call. I understand your position and accept it. :duff

jlcmsu said:
Well, some words would be helpful. Like I said I've got nothing against ya. You have to do what you have to do. I don't agree with it but as I said that's not my call. I understand your position and accept it. :duff

As long as you don't think I'm an ass for asking someone to get me a SDCC GG bust of Lucuis Malfoy :D . I'd need to sell 4-5 BHS busts to be able to afford to go to SDCC. :monkey2

I have also seen how the members of RS have treated scalpers and also how the scalpers have treated them back. I think the way conversations go down on there sometimes is completely wrong. Josh is right a lot of people are mad that they missed out and they really do not want people rubbing it in there face. However, countless threads about "I got the BHS bust" from a scalper or collector basically does the same thing. In addition, there is some name calling that goes on over there which is ridiculous. When it resots to name calling it gets to be on a more pesonal level, which is stupid. Everyone has any opinion and everyone deserves to state that opinion and everyone else should repect that opinion.

With that said I am happy this has been discussed. Both sides have been addressed in a constructive manner. There should be no hard feelings and this is what there types of forums are all about. This is a great community, and an item like the BHS bust is only going to come around every once in a great while and there is no sense to cause extreme tension over something that in a month or two will just be a whisper.

jlcmsu said:
...If you start the opening big below cost and it goes above you're giving folks a chance to get it below cost. Once it goes above that falls on the bidder. If you start it above then you're just looking to make a buck. On new items. You go putting a Balrog on there nobody expects you to list it for $300...

Personally I don't think there's any difference. For example, there's no risk in starting a BHTrooper auction at $0.99 because you know in the end that it will most likely sell for $500 for example. So selling it at $500 BIN or $0.99 start is no different. That's typically the same for all high end collectibles. There really is little risk in starting the bidding low. Same for a Balrog, in the end it'll sell for $2000+ so the starting bid has little effect in relation to scalping/flipping. IMHO.

jlcmsu said:
RS folks do tend to overreact...

Understatement of the year. We all knew that it was going to be hard to get a BHS and not just because of possible scalpers. It was going to be tough because GG busts are popular, it's a trooper, GG's well documented crappy ordering system/software and the amount available was insanely low. As a collector you have to admit that there will be some items that you are just going to miss out on. It is going to happen. I think being pissed is a natural reaction. However I would choose to be disappointing over holding grudges and targetting whoever is selling these on ebay by playing BHS ebay police. We can be collectors and be grown men about how we do things. Reactions over in rebelscum have been (for the most part) very childish but amusing to read.

jlcmsu said:
Well, I'm a believer in you don't look to **** your fellow collector either. It tends to rub folks the wrong way when someone who had no interest in the item buys it only to use it to make a few bucks when another missed out who really wanted it. You're correct not all of us are rich and some of us have to get things at retail or just a little above to get it so having someone buy something and sell it for 8x the original amount kind of sucks! So yeah if I lose out on something I really wanted and see it being said by someone else, "Hey, I got one to just make a buck off of." I'm gonna be a tad upset and I know others will. So unless you all that have to flip wanna fund our collections maybe you should keep that in mind when buying something.

I hear you man. Unfortunately this is also part of the hobby. "Fair" sometimes does not apply. Not every company puts the same amount of "inclusive" care on how they offer their products. I think as collectors the way we react to missing out on items puts our character in the spotlight. It also puts our resourcefulness to the test. Scalpers/Flippers/Opportunist/etc are part of the game. We don't have to like them but we can be grown up enough to accept they are not going anywhere and percevere despite their existence.

I don't get the reverse statement you made about "flippers funding your collection". You lost me on that one as that didn't make sense. People that miss out label flippers because of what they do. Flippers don't label anyone as they are just trying to make a buck and sell the item to whoever wants it. Flippers don't owe anything to anyone because they don't single anyone out individually and are just there to make a quick buck. The point I was trying to make refered to labeling people and may be I wasn't clear. Sorry. :)

jlcmsu said:
:rolleyes: If you start the opening big below cost and it goes above you're giving folks a chance to get it below cost. Once it goes above that falls on the bidder. If you start it above then you're just looking to make a buck. On new items. You go putting a Balrog on there nobody expects you to list it for $300.
As I said DL has to do what he has to do. I'm not gonna be hard on him. Do I agree with what he feels he has to do. No, I don't but that's not my call.

You can open the auction at $50 for the BHS. That doesn't exempt somebody of being labelled a flipper on this one. There is no amnesty when it's obvious it will reach $400+ given the current ebay prices/demand. :lol
You are right that we all gotta do what we all gotta do. Everyone's financial situation here is different. As I mentioned before, not all of us can drop $1,000 on Predator and $500 on Grievous without blinking. The funds do have to come from somewhere. I didn't get either one of those but you get my point :)

So when I go to sell my BHS bust, which will be very soon, should I not post what my lowest excepted price would be or my BIN price if you will? Should I just let people send me offers and reply to them accordingly?

Personally I don't have a problem with the edition size or anyone selling it. Who I'm more angry with is GG with their ordering process. If I'm able to put one in my cart then I should have sufficient time to complete the ordering process. Like at least one or two minutes to type my information. :rolleyes: If I tried to order and it said sold out, well so be it. I can either choose to get it by paying a premium on eBay or to not bother. I've always been in favor of low edition sizes (no more than 2000). Gentle Giant just seems to take it to extremes both ways.

jlcmsu said:
:rolleyes: If you start the opening big below cost and it goes above you're giving folks a chance to get it below cost. Once it goes above that falls on the bidder. If you start it above then you're just looking to make a buck. On new items. You go putting a Balrog on there nobody expects you to list it for $300.

As I said DL has to do what he has to do. I'm not gonna be hard on him. Do I agree with what he feels he has to do. No, I don't but that's not my call.

Lemme get this right....

You hate scalpers, rail constantly about them, yet when you decide to sell your items, you put them up for auction at .01 and when it fetches market prices, non-chalantly justify your actions by implying if bidders are willing to pay that much, than that's their own fault.

I'm not even going to elaborate. Unbelievable.

daelith said:
Lemme get this right....

You hate scalpers, rail constantly about them, yet when you decide to sell your items, you put them up for auction at .01 and when it fetches market prices, non-chalantly justify your actions by implying if bidders are willing to pay that much, than that's their own fault.

I think he was stating that I should offer this to him or someone here for cost. But if someone offered me more than it would be ok, as long as I was giving someone a shot at getting it and not having a reserve price (which I will).

Darth Loki said:
As long as you don't think I'm an ass for asking someone to get me a SDCC GG bust of Lucuis Malfoy :D . I'd need to sell 4-5 BHS busts to be able to afford to go to SDCC. :monkey2

No, I don't DL. I hope who ever you have asked is getting you the SDCC GG Bust for cost and isnt asking for anything extra. Heck, I'd be willing to try and get it for you if nobody has said anything.

Fritz said:
Personally I don't think there's any difference. For example, there's no risk in starting a BHTrooper auction at $0.99 because you know in the end that it will most likely sell for $500 for example. So selling it at $500 BIN or $0.99 start is no different. That's typically the same for all high end collectibles. There really is little risk in starting the bidding low. Same for a Balrog, in the end it'll sell for $2000+ so the starting bid has little effect in relation to scalping/flipping. IMHO.

Well, you're right there is no risk. However, you are giving folks a chance at least which on ebay is all you can do. Just listing it above to start isn't giving a chance.

SolidLiquidFox said:
Understatement of the year. We all knew that it was going to be hard to get a BHS and not just because of possible scalpers. It was going to be tough because GG busts are popular, it's a trooper, GG's well documented crappy ordering system/software and the amount available was insanely low. As a collector you have to admit that there will be some items that you are just going to miss out on. It is going to happen. I think being pissed is a natural reaction. However I would choose to be disappointing over holding grudges and targetting whoever is selling these on ebay by playing BHS ebay police. We can be collectors and be grown men about how we do things. Reactions over in rebelscum have been (for the most part) very childish but amusing to read.

I agree. I'm not gonna hold any grudges against anyone. These are collectibles for god's sake not something that means life or death.

SolidLiquidFox said:
I hear you man. Unfortunately this is also part of the hobby. "Fair" sometimes does not apply. Not every company puts the same amount of "inclusive" care on how they offer their products. I think as collectors the way we react to missing out on items puts our character in the spotlight. It also puts our resourcefulness to the test. Scalpers/Flippers/Opportunist/etc are part of the game. We don't have to like them but we can be grown up enough to accept they are not going anywhere and percevere despite their existence.

I agree again "fair" just doesn't happen on a normal basis especially with really limited items. I agree yet again. They are there but that doesn't make not getting an item any less of a bummer. I'm in the end more pissed at GG because I had the thing in my card all my info in and had to redo it because their system locked up.

SolidLiquidFox said:
I don't get the reverse statement you made about "flippers funding your collection". You lost me on that one as that didn't make sense. People that miss out label flippers because of what they do. Flippers don't label anyone as they are just trying to make a buck and sell the item to whoever wants it. Flippers don't owe anything to anyone because they don't single anyone out individually and are just there to make a quick buck. The point I was trying to make refered to labeling people and may be I wasn't clear. Sorry. :)

You said not all of us are rich and some of us have to flip in order to finance our collections. Well, as I said not all of us are rich and can't afford to pay the flippers price to have the items. So it kind of burns when you miss out on an item and the only way to get it is by paying the higher price. So while I understand that some folks have to buy and sell to have things. Some of us have to get certain items at retail in order to have those items or other items down the road.

Basically the street works both ways.

SolidLiquidFox said:
You can open the auction at $50 for the BHS. That doesn't exempt somebody of being labelled a flipper on this one. There is no amnesty when it's obvious it will reach $400+ given the current ebay prices/demand. :lol
You are right that we all gotta do what we all gotta do. Everyone's financial situation here is different. As I mentioned before, not all of us can drop $1,000 on Predator and $500 on Grievous without blinking. The funds do have to come from somewhere. I didn't get either one of those but you get my point :)

You are right but as I said to Fritz at least buyers if they can show restraint (which we know they wont) are given the chance to get a deal on something.

Yup, I'm lucky in the fact I could afford Grievous but I can't get everything and in no way am I rich. I'm just this year gonna be getting my first teaching job making $35k. I gotta buy a new car and start saving for my own house. So getting something at retail or at least a good deal on it would be nice. :D

Fritz said:
Personally I don't have a problem with the edition size or anyone selling it. Who I'm more angry with is GG with their ordering process. If I'm able to put one in my cart then I should have sufficient time to complete the ordering process. Like at least one or two minutes to type my information. :rolleyes: If I tried to order and it said sold out, well so be it. I can either choose to get it by paying a premium on eBay or to not bother. I've always been in favor of low edition sizes (no more than 2000). Gentle Giant just seems to take it to extremes both ways.

I'm more pissed at GG like I said above and I agree with you on your example.

daelith said:
Lemme get this right....

The way I look at it is if you give someone a chance to get a good deal on it that's all you can do. If people can't hold themselves back then that isn't the sellers fault.

Darth Loki said:
I think he was stating that I should offer this to him or someone here for cost. But if someone offered me more than it would be ok, as long as I was giving someone a shot at getting it and not having a reserve price (which I will).

I'm not even saying Cost. That would be great but you'd have to be nuts to expect that. I'm saying a reasonable deal on it. I'd give someone $250 in a heartbeat for this. That's about $200 bucks profit for the trouble of getting this. For me I can't afford to go buying this for $400 with SDCC and all the other stuff coming. You can't have it all and I'm good with that.

:lol :lol :lol :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

When I first saw your post about buying the bust just to flip it, Darth Loki....I had to laugh. I was thinking...either this guy has a HUGE pair of balls to openly admit it, or just does not realize he's about to get torn from limb to limb.

:rotfl

I'll have to admit though, I think you got away pretty unscathed so far. If you had posted on RS or any other hardcore Star Wars site about this.......whew.......would've gone real bad for you.

btw...the use of Loki in you're name....you an Avengers fan?

Booyah! said:
:lol :lol :lol :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

When I first saw your post about buying the bust just to flip it, Darth Loki....I had to laugh. I was thinking...either this guy has a HUGE pair of balls to openly admit it, or just does not realize he's about to get torn from limb to limb.

:rotfl

I'll have to admit though, I think you got away pretty unscathed so far. If you had posted on RS or any other hardcore Star Wars site about this.......whew.......would've gone real bad for you.

btw...the use of Loki in you're name....you an Avengers fan?

Well you are right, I do have HUGE balls. But they are dwarfed by my abnormally large Pen!s. It's a part of the business people. Did I flip my lid when LOTRFan wouldn't sell me his Code 3 X-Wing for only $600! No, I knew he could probably get more on eBay so I excepted my current fate. It's his to do what he pleases, just like everyone who has the Grey Hulk on order and anyone getting the BHS bust.

Loki is from Norse mythology. He was known as a trickster and mischief maker, how I was in HS and college.

Darth Loki said:
Loki is from Norse mythology. He was known as a trickster and mischief maker, how I was in HS and college.

He is all that but in Marvel comics he is also Thor's half-brother and nemesis.

Darth Loki said:
Well you are right, I do have HUGE balls. But they are dwarfed by my abnormally large Pen!s.

We must be related! :lol

btw was just picking with ya about the BHS bust. I dont do but a few of the mini busts, so I dont have a dog in this particular fight. Just found it to be vastly amusing. :rotfl

Well I may as well get this over with. I think the market is pretty set for this so I know what a fair price is (though some may think differently) for both seller and buyer. I have a reserve price that I'd sell this for so serious buyers only please. PM me with offers and I'll respond promptly.

Let the crucifiction begin :emperor :emperor :emperor

I've been quiet, but I do have a couple things to add. Against my better judgement, I could no longer hold out :)

First, scalping is scalping. It isn't 'flipping'. People call themselves flippers because they think scalping is distasteful - which should be some indication to them about the activity. But people who 'flip' things - a term made popular in real estate - add value. Flippers purchase something that has potential, add that potential in short order, and resell at a hopefully higher price.

Scalpers do not add value. They purchase something in a market where there is low supply and high demand, and immediately use that fact to ask a higher price. You want to scalp something, that's your perogative, but don't pretty it up with another term to make it seem more palatable. There's already one in use that's been around for a long, long time, and it fits quite well.

As to whether it's 'okay' or not to scalp, that's a personal choice. I don't do it, never have, and never will. I have never bought from scalpers until recently, when the closing of local retailers and drying up of toys around me forced me to do so for the Paradise Island variant of Family Guy.

I've been doing this for an awfully long time. Fifteen years ago, I was one of the original members of a club called One to One, which promoted only trading one for one with hard to find items. I formed a local club that had up to a 100 members over the years called ATOM, that helped members out to get stuff at cost. And I believe quite heavily in kharma - what you do will come back to you.

You can certainly charge top dollar for anything you get. In fact, if it's been out for some time, there's no reason you shouldn't - it's not available any longer. However, when something is initially available at retail (or to order), I believe you should leave it alone unless you really want it for yourself or someone you know. Let other collectors get their opportunity to buy it.

As to whether you can afford everything - of course not. But because I've helped out many people over the course of the years, they help me out too. I've gotten things, especially internationally, that I never would have gotten otherwise, money or not. And kharma has been very, very good to me.

But, like I said, this is your choice. How you live your life - positively or negatively, for your self first, or others first, and more importantly, to what degree of these things - is entirely up to you. Don't be surprised however if how you act effects how others treat you in return. For example DL, I think you're a nice guy, you contribute to the boards, and I wish you no ill will. But would I pick up a Malfoy at cost at SDCC for you? Of course not. And there would be two reasons - first, because you've shown that you are less than willing to take a perceived loss in helping someone else out. And second, you've shown that having something (be it BHS or Malfoy) matters less to you as the value goes up. So there's no reason to expect that if I got you your Malfoy, and a month later when they were selling for $250 on ebay, you'd just sell it for a profit anyway.

Again, youi can do whatever you want. When it comes to something as trivial as toys and collectibles, it isn't an indication of your overall character if you scalp that BHS. But also understand that there are other people who find that behavior objectionable, although they shouldn't assume the person is as well.

The tricky part in all this is motivation, but isn't that always the case? Murder is okay if you were going to kill me in that moment, but not if I did it for the insurance money. Likewise, it's fine and dandy to buy a BHS the minute it goes on sale for yourself, and then decide at a later date to sell it. The problem comes in when you go into the purchase knowing that the only reason you're doing it is to scalp, and I think that's the attitude that most collectors find annoying. I know I do.

So that was my long winded attempt not to say anything.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back