GG Blackhole Stormtrooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Darth Loki said:
"A scalper buys something when it is available at retail with the express purpose of turning right around and selling it. I believe that's what I stated in my post. I'm not sure how you can confuse something that straight forward definition with the idea of buying one now on ebay (which is not current retail) with the intent of selling it a year from now (which isn't immediate) - how do those two compare?"

What about buying something at retail and hoping it will gain future value in which case you'd then sell it? That is kinda in the middle of both. I haven't bought anything, besides this bust, with any intentions of ever selling it. But I will say that if for some reason some piece of my collection became as valuable as say a Balrog, I'd be in quite a tough spot as to keep it or sell it.

Does it make it any better if something unexpected came up, like having your wisdom teeth pulled, getting $1000 worth of work done on your car, or having your computer blow it's hard drive? What if all 3 happened in the same week and you saw a way to not have to cancel a couple really wanted statues? Does that make you a bad person?

Actually, none of it 'makes you a bad person'. Again, in my original post I said this is a personal decision - and when it comes to something as silly as toys and busts, this is small potatoes. Or potatos. But how you treat others, and how you view the world, is the way they and the world will treat you. Just as some have said that scalping is just the way it is, this fact is another of those things that are just the way it is.

daelith said:
It's always easier to philosophize when you've got the money to support your higher moral stance. Hypothetically, if someone here came down with cancer and had to resort to scalping to provide them with the $$$ for medicine, would you support or condone it then? ...or would you look at it a little bit differently, given the context?

Oh, please - if your argument has reached the level of "oh, but is it still scalping if I'm dying of cancer" then you've pretty much reached the ridiculous example point. We aren't talking about someone trying to save another's life, we're talking about people buying goofy crap to sell to buy more goofy crap. Let's try to keep the debate at the level it belongs.

When I started collecting, I couldn't have even considered spending the kind of cash I see people here spending regularly. I was lucky to buy $5 action figures, let alone $50 busts or $300 PF's. I didn't condone scalping then, nor would I condone it if I were suddenly broke now.

The excuse that you can't afford something is often used in stealing movies, music and software online. And it's as invalid there as it is here. The ends don't justify the means.

Michael Crawford said:
Oh, please - if your argument has reached the level of "oh, but is it still scalping if I'm dying of cancer" then you've pretty much reached the ridiculous example point. We aren't talking about someone trying to save another's life, we're talking about people buying goofy crap to sell to buy more goofy crap. Let's try to keep the debate at the level it belongs.

When I started collecting, I couldn't have even considered spending the kind of cash I see people here spending regularly. I was lucky to buy $5 action figures, let alone $50 busts or $300 PF's. I didn't condone scalping then, nor would I condone it if I were suddenly broke now.

You accuse people of changing definitions, but I ask that you look at your own statements in a different context, ie. my hypothetical scenario. How is it anymore ridiculous than you framing your statements "if I were suddendly broke now."

Michael Crawford said:
The excuse that you can't afford something is often used in stealing movies, music and software online. And it's as invalid there as it is here. The ends don't justify the means.
If the ends were illegal, perhaps. Are you saying scalping is the analogous to stealing?

BTW, my father was diagnosed with Colo-rectal cancer level 3, where it has spread to his lymph nodes. He's undergoing Chemo now and hopefully he'll be ok. He was uninsured. Ridiculous examples indeed.

"The excuse that you can't afford something is often used in stealing movies, music and software online. And it's as invalid there as it is here. The ends don't justify the means."

Actually the point is much different. No one here is stealing anything. I have a bust that I would like to sell or trade to fund further purchases. I'm not stealing a video game because I don't feel like paying for it. I don't feel like paying $600 for a PS3, but that doesn't mean I'm going to go steal one because I can't afford it. For Christ's sake I've been taking work home to do for minimum wage to help pay for some of this stuff. 16 hours and four bloody fingers later I've made enough to pay for a couple Harry Potter busts.

Is this a moral issue, I suppose. But it's a lot less serious than murder, death, or stealing as has been mentioned in this thread.

One of these just sold for $525 BIN. Would anyone complain if they could get one of the most sought after collectibles for $75 less than market value with free shipping (shameless plug)? That's not the lowest I'd sell it for but if I were offered that much I'd sell it immediately. By the way that's $100 cheaper than the lowest BIN on eBay.

By the way, here's a pic of my dog (J.R.). Isn't he adorable.

We've had the scalper/flipper debate many times here and it's become a rather contentious issue.

I'm going to do a Rebelscum and close this thread and start a new one for the Stormie repaint. If you wish to continue on about how flippers/scalpers are evil, start a new thread. However I would request that everyone refrain from getting personal about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back