Streaming services

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choombaz

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I thought this was truly bizarre and completely appropriate for the direction that digital technology is heading. The Australian streaming service Binge recently, finally, after years started to get 4K content which I was happy about. I started to watch the new series of True Detective but when I hit episode 3 I suddenly got the message that your device does not support 4K and I could only watch it in HD. I assumed it was just a glitch and continued to watch the next two episodes in HD. Finally I decided to live chat them and after multiple live chats and multiple emails they finally told me that they no longer supported my 2018 4K LG. Only 2019-2023. Unbelievable. After incinerating them they finally told me I could get 4K by using a chrome cast device.

Anyone else have stories like this? Or any other random streaming stories. Watching anything on Paramount Plus is excruciating. Constant buffering. I’m looking at upgrading my router just to deal with it.

With the proliferation of services I'm waiting for the inevitable shakeout of the industry. Much as I dislike monopolies, there's something to be said for only needing a Netflix subscription to watch almost anything.

(As an aside, I mainly have Binge for the Foxtel live channels)

I thought this was truly bizarre and completely appropriate for the direction that digital technology is heading. The Australian streaming service Binge recently, finally, after years started to get 4K content which I was happy about. I started to watch the new series of True Detective but when I hit episode 3 I suddenly got the message that your device does not support 4K and I could only watch it in HD. I assumed it was just a glitch and continued to watch the next two episodes in HD. Finally I decided to live chat them and after multiple live chats and multiple emails they finally told me that they no longer supported my 2018 4K LG. Only 2019-2023. Unbelievable. After incinerating them they finally told me I could get 4K by using a chrome cast device.

Anyone else have stories like this? Or any other random streaming stories. Watching anything on Paramount Plus is excruciating. Constant buffering. I’m looking at upgrading my router just to deal with it.
Have Paramount Plus (and I think all other streaming services known to man as my wife is a stay at home) and have never had any buffering issues. Hopefully the router upgrade will do the trick. Interesting issue with the 4K. My media room Samsung is a 2022 I think so I'm not hitting up against anything like you described. Good luck!

No issues streaming in 4k here either. We only use Apple devices, including Apple TV. That thing is rock solid. But, yeah, the streaming services themselves often suck and there are far too many options available, gating their content.

We only subscribe to Disney+ and Apple TV+. Disney covers the kiddos and Marvel & Star Wars, Apple TV seems to be where a lot of the best original content (for my money) is right now. I have no interest in supporting Amazon and most Netflix originals aren't of any interest to me. Lot of mediocre stuff on that platform.

My recommendation to everyone is to subsribe, binge, cancel. Don't let these providers get a monthly paycheck from you unless you truly want to watch something on their platform.

No issues streaming in 4k here either. We only use Apple devices, including Apple TV. That thing is rock solid. But, yeah, the streaming services themselves often suck and there are far too many options available, gating their content.

We only subscribe to Disney+ and Apple TV+. Disney covers the kiddos and Marvel & Star Wars, Apple TV seems to be where a lot of the best original content (for my money) is right now. I have no interest in supporting Amazon and most Netflix originals aren't of any interest to me. Lot of mediocre stuff on that platform.

My recommendation to everyone is to subsribe, binge, cancel. Don't let these providers get a monthly paycheck from you unless you truly want to watch something on their platform.
Yeah that’s what I’m going to do. Finish True Detective then I’m outta there. As an aside i stream 4k from Apple, Disney, Amazon and Stan and have zero issues. It’s only Paramount that’s shocking. Luckily i share the services with my ex so I only pay for half of them.

Yes, my neighbour put me on to the concept of flexing services on and off. Trouble is, with four in the family it's hard to stay on top of who's using what at any one time.
Subscribe and cancel immediately. When someone wants to watch something, and they find that particular subscription has lapsed, consider the value of subscribing for another month.

A VPN and uTorrent is cheaper
IMG_4583.jpeg

Back