Gentle Giant R2 statue! - *Cancelled*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys-Gentle Giant- R2-D2 1/6th model

Those are some nice pics that wookster posted. It definitely looks great and with HT being involved it'll probably at least have a little articulation. Although besides the opening compartments there just isn't much more I'd want R2 to do.

Hopefully he'll be closer to $150 like icuise has seen rather than $200.

If this is made for Gentle Giant, and it is in scale with the GG C-3PO, then it is Medicom 1/6, and not Hot Toys/ Sideshow 1/6. Threepio was too small to be in the same visual frame with the SS Star Wars figures, and I think I saw this at SDCC, and it was in scale with their 3PO.

BTW, as for the base, it will either be removable with a rod coming out of one of R2's tracks, or he is just sitting their loose.

Price is okay with me. If it does fit in Sideshow 1/6 for Star Wars, I'm all over this. It would be nice to add another GG piece to this display.

HPIM2407.jpg

This is a pretty old picture (says it's coming out Fall 07 if you can believe it), but unless they've changed something you can close the doors.

dsc00145cq5.jpg

Unfortunately, no. This thing has been in development forever. I just hope that they haven't changed that aspect of it, because as you say it would be pretty dumb to have an R2 statue that you can only display with all of his accessories splayed out like in the pictures we've seen.

Why did it take so long? And why is HT involved?

I still have concerns about the doors closing, so I'm gonna need a new pic to convince me that the new one in fact can look like the above.

But if the head swivels and the doors close, then this is one fine R2 unit, complete with everything he ever used. It's on my "watch" list now.

If SS ever gets around to it, I hope they include all those accessories plus the retractable third leg. I'm not counting on lights or sound.

looks pretty good, esp the paint app. the accessories are nice but i doubt most people would display him with all the stuff sticking out. plus he doesn't seem to have any articulation. anyway, artoo isn't complete without threepio.

for now, i'm pretty happy with my kotobukiya droids.

Why did it take so long? And why is HT involved
I really don't know. I think there were some issues with the accessories, but Gentle Giant as a company has been having a lot of delays in general, too.

I hadn't heard about the HT connection until this thread was started, and I've been following this statue for a long time. It's a little confusing.

I really don't know. I think there were some issues with the accessories, but Gentle Giant as a company has been having a lot of delays in general, too.

I hadn't heard about the HT connection until this thread was started, and I've been following this statue for a long time. It's a little confusing.

Which may also explain the jump in price. Nothing HT is cheap.

Didn't Sideshow just confirmed in their lastest Q&A that R2 will be in the 1:6 line? I will wait for that.:)

You might very well look like your avatar by the time of the PPO.

Hah hah. :lol Patience a virtue is.

Seriously I don't think we can see that happening in the next year.

Last edited:
Re: Gentle Giant- R2-D2 1/6th model

Just did some digging and found ot that Toy Ark got it very wrong. Hot Toys were in no way involved apparently!

Oh well!

Didn't Sideshow just confirmed in their lastest Q&A that R2 will be in the 1:6 line? I will wait for that.:)

They confirmed a PF is in the works, but as for 1/6th they didn't say they were working on one and plugged the Medicom 1/6th R2-D2.

Considering that Medicom just did one and Sideshow distributes Medicom figures, it will be a while before Sideshow does one in 1/6th

This is a pretty old picture (says it's coming out Fall 07 if you can believe it), but unless they've changed something you can close the doors.

dsc00145cq5.jpg

That's a picture of the statue before they added the "action-features".

They confirmed a PF is in the works, but as for 1/6th they didn't say they were working on one and plugged the Medicom 1/6th R2-D2.

Considering that Medicom just did one and Sideshow distributes Medicom figures, it will be a while before Sideshow does one in 1/6th

That might be promising then. We got a SS Shocktrooper about a year after Medicom's. So maybe we see shots of the droids by X-mas 2010?

Back