Gentle Giant R2 statue! - *Cancelled*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: gentle Giant R2 statue!

Well, in their defense, look how much Sideshow's prices have increased in the last 2.5 years.

I'm just saying, it takes some gall to solicit a pre-order at a certain price, make people wait forever, and then raise the price significantly. $115 at BBTS? Are they really going to demand $160? Can they even do that?

I own a single GG piece and it's Clash of the Titans Bubo. I love it. I know a lot of people love their work, but how anyone can tolerate the way they treat their customers is beyond me.

I've had BBTS raise a price on something I preordered, so yes they can do that. Although it only happens in cases like this when the manufacturer raises the actual MSRP before the item is released (happened with the Diamond Select tricorder toy).

Ok. I can understand that, and accept it too. GG is just so good at making me grumpy. I was looking forward to this at one point (long, long ago).

The Craw said:
i was just wondering cuz the price is so much lower and it looks different.

The blue doesn't seem as bright as it did at Toy Fair. I'm wondering if all of the earlier pre-orders are void. There was a point in time where it wasn't even listed on their site.

As an R2 fan, I'm just not excited about this piece. The colors are off and I want my R2 all closed up. I'm worried that they haven't posted a pic of this R2 with the doors closed up. I bet there will be gaps and seams all over this guy.

I really hope Sideshow makes an R2 that is in one piece and doesn't have "action features".

Apparently this is an older pic but it shows R2 with his doors closed.

I didn't notice anything wrong with the colors in the opened door pic but if he's permanently attatched to that base it'll be a deal breaker for me. And if there are noticeable gaps that sure wouldn't be good either.

Apparently this is an older pic but it shows R2 with his doors closed.

I didn't notice anything wrong with the colors in the opened door pic but if he's permanently attatched to that base it'll be a deal breaker for me. And if there are noticeable gaps that sure wouldn't be good either.

The new pictures have the blue and the silver dome incorrectly colored. The pic you posted is of the old R2 before they added the opening doors and we haven't seen pics with closed doors.

We posted these pics late October, they show some more close ups:

He will have 8 accessories total, including Periscope scanner, Mechanical Gripper, Utility saw and more ! There will also be a special box/case to store unused accessories as well as a base added!

r2statueggc1102.jpg

r2statueggc1101.jpg

r2statueggc1103.jpg

Those pics make it hard to resist, wish it was not so much..$150-60 i would have caved if it had sound and lights too.

I still say something is screwy. If this statue is as nice as they want us to believe, then why did they dang near cancel it a while back?

Something's not adding up. This is GG we are talking about here.

Those pics look really nice. And he comes off the base apparently so that's good. If R2 comes out looking like that then he's a keeper.

I still say something is screwy. If this statue is as nice as they want us to believe, then why did they dang near cancel it a while back?

Something's not adding up. This is GG we are talking about here.

I don't think anybody knows exactly what's going on behind the scenes at GG, but I think they are struggling financially, and it may be that they've had trouble coordinating the production of their stuff. (As in, they may be having trouble actually paying the factory to produce it.) They've had very few actual releases this year. But with R2 in particular, I think the additional accessories have made things more complicated.

From what i have heard it was getting the body of R2 to remain round when casting and not distort so there would be no seams with the accessories

Statue looks nice. I like the accessories it comes with but that price tag is a boner killer (yes I said boner killer). $99 smells much better.

I don't think anybody knows exactly what's going on behind the scenes at GG, but I think they are struggling financially, and it may be that they've had trouble coordinating the production of their stuff. (As in, they may be having trouble actually paying the factory to produce it.) They've had very few actual releases this year. But with R2 in particular, I think the additional accessories have made things more complicated.

I think something is up too and that makes sense what you said. Although they will tell you otherwise

Back