GameStop opening Deus Ex boxes, removing free game code

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered batman AC from Gamestop, this is my first time using it and my last, as they take payment right away rather than when it comes in, i only did it for the batman beyond skin.

So will my box arrive opened?

Gamestop is an unscrupulous company and lost my business long ago when you couldn't buy a new game there without them already opening the packaging removing the disc and storing both separately for a reason that escaped me.

LOL. How can they sell so called new games if they already opened the game. It is no longer new once they break the seal. Dummies, didn't know they did that.

What's interesting to me is that Gamestop believes that they can get away with this.

Obviously they believe that they give Square Enix enough business that if SE raised a fuss, Gamestop would cease carrying SE games, which would a big enough dent in SE's sales that they would relent.

Veeeeeery ballsy move on Gamestop's part. Can't wait to see how this turns out. It's unlikely that Square Enix will offer any pre-order bonuses to Gamestop though. :lol

Sadly, since GameCrazy closed, my other options (that are close by) are Target and GameStop. I'm using them for now...just because they are 2 blocks away...but as soon as I notice any shenanigans, I'll do something else.

Amazon is nice - but since they are a WA company, I have to pay sales tax...so I might as well just pick it up at a store.

Gamestop is an unscrupulous company and lost my business long ago when you couldn't buy a new game there without them already opening the packaging removing the disc and storing both separately for a reason that escaped me. I remember giving them the box off the shelf and watching in disbelief as they got a opened box and then the disc and manual and put it in and sold it to me as if it was a sealed package. I refused, asked what they were trying to pull and had one dumbfounded minimum wage worker after another tell me that was their policy.

A-freakin-men.

IMO once the wrapping on the game is opened it is no longer in "new" condition.

Agreed. Ebay sellers are bad about this as well. They'll open it, play it and then try to resell it as new and unsealed...but never played! Yeah right...

I have this same problem. I never understood why they did this either. They have plenty of blank boxes with coverart on the shelves so I know they don't need to open one up and put it on the shelf, but even if they did there's no reason why they can't just keep it before selling it as used. IMO once the wrapping on the game is opened it is no longer in "new" condition.

I think the only "unopened" games they sell are on midnight launch type events. I know when I picked up Gears of War 2, it was unopened.

The same thing happened to me years ago. That was the first and last game I bought from them.

Had the same thing happen to me... they lost my business for good... and for a fact i know they let their employees take games home to play and then sell them as new :mad:

Glad I'm not the only one; I didn't think I was though. I went again a year or so later to give them another chance and it was the same thing. I walked out again. So they've never gotten my business and won't. Once something is opened, it's no longer new. Try opening a video game and returning it to Best Buy or somewhere else--they won't take it because it's an unsealed item. I don't need some schmuck handling my video game discs and taking them home and then quickly placing them back in a box. Maybe if Gamestop sold every game 15% under Best Buy and Amazon, etc. But they can't compete and if you throw in Gamefly, they really can't compete. I've yet to understand how Gamestop or EB Games is still in business.

I will admit one of the only reasons I still go into them is because they usually have a good inventory of PS2 and Gamecube games. From my prior experiences with them I don't see this lasting much longer.

When I lived in Tallahassee there was a small family owned used game store that had EVERYTHING. I'm not kidding...this is where I bought the current Sega Saturn that I still use. They had NES, Genesis, Master System, Atari, Colecos, and they even let you hook stuff up and test it before you paid for it. I'd drive 10 minutes out of my way to go there instead of the 3 Gamestops that are in town.

So they bought a ____ load of copies, opened them, and now they aren't even going to sell them? I don't understand why anyone would buy from that company unless they have absolutely no other choice.

Glad I'm not the only one; I didn't think I was though. I went again a year or so later to give them another chance and it was the same thing. I walked out again. So they've never gotten my business and won't. Once something is opened, it's no longer new. Try opening a video game and returning it to Best Buy or somewhere else--they won't take it because it's an unsealed item. I don't need some schmuck handling my video game discs and taking them home and then quickly placing them back in a box. Maybe if Gamestop sold every game 15% under Best Buy and Amazon, etc. But they can't compete and if you throw in Gamefly, they really can't compete. I've yet to understand how Gamestop or EB Games is still in business.

They're in business for one reason & one reason only....Pre-Owned games. That's where they make all of they're money. They take in say for examples sake, Deus Ex. They give the consumer no more than $25, not in real currency but credit you can only use in their store. Now that they have your game they'll put it on the shelf pre-owned for $54.99 making a tidy $30 pure profit. On top of the money they get when you use that credit for a pre-owned game. That's why they also steer you towards pre-owned copies because it's all profit to them. Especially when you sell a slightly older game where they can give you $10 in store credit, but sell it in their stores for $44 or higher.

To show you how good this business practice is working for them. Developers are losing more money from pre-owned sales than pirating. That's why game companies are starting to put in those on-line passes if you buy new. If you don't you'll have to pay $10 to use the on-line features. That's due to people buying pre-owned games.

Shop smart, shop S......not at GameStop.

Last edited:
They're in business for one reason & one reason only....Pre-Owned games. That's where they make all of they're money. They take in say for examples sake, Deus Ex. They give the consumer no more than $25, not in real currency but credit you can only use in their store. Now that they have your game they'll put it on the shelf pre-owned for $54.99 making a tidy $30 pure profit. On top of the money they get when you use that credit for a pre-owned game. That's why they also steer you towards pre-owned copies because it's all profit to them. Especially when you sell a slightly older game where they can give you $10 in store credit, but sell it in their stores for $44 or higher.

To show you how good this business practice is working for them. Developers are losing more money from pre-owned sales than pirating. That's why game companies are starting to put in those on-line passes if you buy new. If you don't you'll have to pay $10 to use the on-line features. That's due to people buying pre-owned games.

Shop smart, shop at S......not at GameStop.

:exactly: Oh I know what you are saying. I would go in and see a new game for 59.99 next to a used game for 54.99. I was like, really? Also, they always were trying to sale me a subscription and magazine. And it never helps most of them are in shady strip malls.

:exactly: Oh I know what you are saying. I would go in and see a new game for 59.99 next to a used game for 54.99. I was like, really? Also, they always were trying to sale me a subscription and magazine. And it never helps most of them are in shady strip malls.

Oh man I totally forgot about their Edge card. It allows a whole whopping extra 10% any pre-owned game. So they're only making $22.50 profit instead of $25.

Fun fact: Game Informer is one of the highest subscribed magazines in the country. So on top of everything else they're making bank off of advertising within the magazine.

Oh man I totally forgot about their Edge card. It allows a whole whopping extra 10% any pre-owned game. So they're only making $22.50 profit instead of $25.

Fun fact: Game Informer is one of the highest subscribed magazines in the country. So on top of everything else they're making bank off of advertising within the magazine.

I'd believe that seeing as they whore out their Edgecard stuff, and throw in the magazine subscription with it.

I had a bunch of PS2 games I was wanting to sale and contacted Gamestop and they said maybe a few dollars per game, depending on game and that I'd be better trading them in instead of selling them. Well, since I recalled seeing most PS2 games fairly cheap there, I figured it was more like they'd pay me 50 cents or something, so I started selling on Ebay. Not doing a whole lot better there, although maybe 7 bucks for a game, minus a bunch of fees with a net of 3-4 dollars. I really don't agree with anything GS is doing as I know they are underhanded and also like developers have said...it's killing the industry.

Back