GameStop opening Deus Ex boxes, removing free game code

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol...I'm only surprised that this is the first time it's been publicized. I haven't pre-ordered a game from them in a long time. Amazon and Best Buy are the only places I do this now. It's hard for me to go through Gamestop when Amazon has release day delivery so it's in the mailbox when I get home.

Thats pretty damn crappy. Game Stop is the place I PO most of my games but this is pretty damn crappy of them to do that.

Yeah, I'm not surprised by this. LameStop just isn't good to buy from. They have extremely questionable business practices. If anyone gets a chance check out how they pay they're employees. They actually don't give them checks, but a debit card they they get charged to have. It was on YouTube but LameStop got it pulled due to copyright infringement.

EDIT: Link describing the payment of salary structure
https://everydaygamers.com/2009/07/13/the-case-against-gamestop-the-employees-perspective/

Last edited:
Gamestop is an unscrupulous company and lost my business long ago when you couldn't buy a new game there without them already opening the packaging removing the disc and storing both separately for a reason that escaped me. I remember giving them the box off the shelf and watching in disbelief as they got a opened box and then the disc and manual and put it in and sold it to me as if it was a sealed package. I refused, asked what they were trying to pull and had one dumbfounded minimum wage worker after another tell me that was their policy.

official statement:

Regarding the Deus Ex OnLive Codes: GameStop’s policy is that we do not promote competitive services without a formal partnership.
Square Enix packed a competitor’s coupon within the PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution without our prior knowledge and we did pull these coupons.
While the new products may be opened, we fully guarantee the condition of the discs to be new. If you find this to not be the case, please contact the store where the game was purchased and they will further assist.

Gamestop is an unscrupulous company and lost my business long ago when you couldn't buy a new game there without them already opening the packaging removing the disc and storing both separately for a reason that escaped me. I remember giving them the box off the shelf and watching in disbelief as they got a opened box and then the disc and manual and put it in and sold it to me as if it was a sealed package. I refused, asked what they were trying to pull and had one dumbfounded minimum wage worker after another tell me that was their policy.

I have this same problem. I never understood why they did this either. They have plenty of blank boxes with coverart on the shelves so I know they don't need to open one up and put it on the shelf, but even if they did there's no reason why they can't just keep it before selling it as used. IMO once the wrapping on the game is opened it is no longer in "new" condition.

official statement:

Lol, I think their definition of new is different from the rest of the world

New means unopened

So does that mean they'd remove the game codes for the free PC version of Portal 2 that comes with the PS3 version?

If I were ever to make a game, I'd fight to make sure it wouldn't be sold at Gamestop, no matter what sales loss it would be...

I think the only "unopened" games they sell are on midnight launch type events. I know when I picked up Gears of War 2, it was unopened.

Gamestop is an unscrupulous company and lost my business long ago when you couldn't buy a new game there without them already opening the packaging removing the disc and storing both separately for a reason that escaped me. I remember giving them the box off the shelf and watching in disbelief as they got a opened box and then the disc and manual and put it in and sold it to me as if it was a sealed package.

The same thing happened to me years ago. That was the first and last game I bought from them.

Had the same thing happen to me... they lost my business for good... and for a fact i know they let their employees take games home to play and then sell them as new :mad:

What a mess.... I rarely shop @ GS, and I don't pre-order from them.

Wow, that's pretty ballsy. I'm sure they'll lose a lot of customers after this. So much for their venture into digital media. Sounds like they'll be losing a lot of money, which means they'll go out of business.

From WIRED...

WIRED said:
Pulling OnLive Coupons From Deus Ex Could Spell Legal Trouble for GameStop
By Jason Schreier August 24, 2011

GameStop might leave itself open to claims of tortious interference after removing giveaway coupons from new copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
Image courtesy Square Enix
GameStop’s practice of removing a competitor’s coupons from new copies of videogames could land the retailer in legal hot water.

On Tuesday, GameStop’s corporate office sent a memo to employees, instructing them to open copies of new Square Enix game Deus Ex: Human Revolution and yank out the included coupon codes that let buyers play the title for free on OnLive, a digital distribution service and one of GameStop’s prime competitors. Employees were then told to sell the copies as if they were brand new.

GameStop representative Beth Sharum confirmed the policy, telling Wired.com in an e-mail that, “Square Enix packed the competitor’s coupon with our [Deus Ex: Human Revolution] product without our prior knowledge and we did pull these coupons.”

Though the new policy might seem outrageous to GameStop customers, lawyer and game industry analyst Mark Methenitis said it might not violate consumers’ rights, as OnLive coupons are not an “essential function” of the new game. However, Square Enix and OnLive “may have a claim against GameStop in terms of tortious interference,” Methenitis said in a phone interview with Wired.com.

Tortious interference litigation results when one party accuses another of intentionally damaging their business contracts or relationships. By removing OnLive’s coupon from copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, GameStop might have violated United States economic tort law.

Methenitis added that customers might be able to pursue legal action against GameStop for deceptive trade practices or fraudulent advertising, though he doesn’t think they’d have much of a case, as nothing on the game’s packaging suggests that it includes the OnLive code. He also said GameStop could be in the right if Square Enix had violated terms of a pre-existing agreement with the retailer.

“Existing contracts between GameStop and Square may have barred this kind of promotion, and so GameStop may actually be justified in their action if Square is in breach of some promotion/marketing agreement,” he said. GameStop did not immediately reply to Wired.com’s request for information on any pre-existing agreements with Square Enix.

When contacted by e-mail by Wired.com, a representative for Square Enix said, “We’re currently looking into it and have no comment for the time being.” A representative for OnLive also said the company had no comment at this time.

This isn’t the first time GameStop’s practices, particularly with regards to opened games that are then sold as new, have ruffled feathers. The company has been accused of deceptive practices several times over the past few years, particularly revolving around its “rental” program, which allows store employees to borrow inventoried games for up to four days. Many employees have reported playing new copies of games, then selling them to customers as if they had not been used.

The company has been hit by a class-action lawsuit over its practices.

Wired.com contacted several current and former GameStop employees over the past few months, with some confirming that their stores sold used copies of games as if they were new. Other employees reported that their stores were very strict about not allowing the “rental” of new copies of games.

“We are able to rent these games the day they come out,” said GameStop employee James Goshow in an e-mail to Wired.com. “We act like nothing has happened, like it wasn’t sitting in my Xbox for the last two weeks, like I didn’t drop it on the floor. When customers ask, ‘Why is my game not wrapped?’ we just reply, ‘Well, we have to put some of the new cases out on the floor, but that is new — don’t worry.’”

Some of GameStop’s policies might have violated Federal Trade Commission policy, though Methenitis said customers have not been successful in winning lawsuits against the retailer for selling used games as if they were new.

“The FTC Act prohibits unfair and deceptive business practices,” an FTC representative told Wired.com. “So if a company misrepresents that a product is new and doesn’t make adequate disclosures that it has been open or used, then that could be considered deceptive.”

Wow, that's pretty ballsy. I'm sure they'll lose a lot of customers after this. So much for their venture into digital media. Sounds like they'll be losing a lot of money, which means they'll go out of business.

Probably not losing much. The average customer probably didn't even know the coupon was supposed to be in there, and it's only for the PC version which would have less copies sold anyways.

Ain't that pretty illegal, whats the coupon for anyway?

I just got an email from Tesco sayin my Collectors Edition is on the way :)

in the age of Amazon and downloadable games, one would think Gamestop would do everything they can to encourage business, not drive it away.

Ain't that pretty illegal, whats the coupon for anyway?

I just got an email from Tesco sayin my Collectors Edition is on the way :)

The coupon comes with the PC version of the game and allows you to play the game for free with OnLive (although I guess it's kind of useless since you bought the game to get the coupon and are unlikely to need the Onlive game)

Back