Game of Thrones vs. The Lord of the Rings

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Game of Thrones vs. The Lord of the Rings

• Total voters
Boobs and nudity scare me. I always keep a pair of cut off jeans handy for when I shower. Sex? Everyday? That's not a part of life I've ever experianced, crap writing. Now if instead of having sex they needed to go on a quest for a valuable collector's item, that's something I could get into.

Sex and nudity are integral to Game of Thrones because sex and nudity are integral to life. What's amazing about the story is that Martin manages to weave dragons, monsters, and magic into that without the threads showing. It still feels like life. Lord of the Rings feels like a dream. It's an amazing parable, and the underlying theme is profound, but it's a complex fairy tale. Game of Thrones is fully human in the adult sense of the word, which makes the drama far more acute.

Whether it will prove to be more or less meaningful has yet to be seen. It certainly has the potential for greatness, from what I've seen so far.

What exactly are we comparing here books to books or movie to show?

Despite my lifelong love for Tolkien's work, GOT wins in both fields, even the books (the novels are far better and richer than the show, which is excellent allready).

GoT makes LotR look dated by comparison.
For me, it's one of the top three series committed to either film or tv.
Love that show

I must admit even after participating in the poll, this is really not a fair comparison beyond the fact that they're both "fantasy" of a flavor.

But this really isn't an apples to apples comparison. I love both series for different reasons and I don't think they have much in common at all beyond some fantasy trappings.

Viewers don't want to see Daenerys naked. They want to see Emilia Clarke naked. The desire for nudity has more to do with the actress than the character.

Julia Roberts said that with clothes on, it's acting, but nudity turns it into a documentary. It pulls you out of the story and you become aware that you are looking at the boobs of a celebrity. I understand her point. Nobody is crying out for buck toothed Gilly to take her top off in front of Samwell, but when Emilia Clarke does her first nude scene since season one, people say, "It's about time!" Because of the character or story? No, because of the actress.

There are more people who have a bowel movement every day in the world than there are people who have sex, but nobody is crying out to see that on GoT because its such an integral part of life and would lend credibility to the show. People who enjoy the nudity likely do so for the titillation factor more than anything having to do with plot or character, etc. Let's portray a wider variety of bodily functions and more nudity from seniors and the morbidly obese and see if the viewers feel the same as they do when Emilia Clarke takes a bath.

Completely disagree. Fair do's trying to sell your opinion as fact but you're quite misguided if you think the majority of people watching the show even know who these actresses are and by extension are watching the nude scenes with the actress in mind rather than the character.
If you were talking about a famous actress, yes you'd be correct but the beauty of this show is that by and large, the fine actors on show are largely unknown to the worldwide audience. Just saying.

The only people who really care about the nudity, are the ones that complain about the nudity.

I don't think the show has to have nudity, but I don't care either way. I just don't understand how it can bother so many people. It's just a pair of boobs every now and then. Who cares.

I don't think the show has to have nudity, but I don't care either way. I just don't understand how it can bother so many people. It's just a pair of boobs every now and then. Who cares.

:goodpost::exactly::lecture

It's the kind of thing that with or without it, I wouldn't care.

To me, seeing a nice pair now and then is just a bonus to already awesome show. :wink1:

The only people who really care about the nudity, are the ones that complain about the nudity.

I agree. Seems more realistic to the period as well.

They should go full-christian and just wear fig-leafs.... :monkey1

It doesn't bother me, I'm not looking to pay cable in order to get aroused. The show doesn't need it to succeed, but I understand why it's there. I just think it's a little bit of a double standard to show the attractive young women topless and pretend that it is because they want to be realistic. Want to be true to life? Show people in their fifties and sixties having sex. Nobody was upset that Catelyn Stark didn't have a topless scene, although it would have been completely natural. I respect them for giving Hodor a nude scene--that showed they were willing to bring realism in for more than just the attractive young cast members. But they tend to favor the younger female actresses, which was my point. (Regardless of whether or not they are known by name.)

Most of the naked women you see are working in whore houses though. There aren't going to be any 50-60 year olds working as prostitutes.

Some of the whores haven't been very attractive. Like the one Theon was with (I believe) while on his way to request assistance from his father for Robb. And while I think the actress who played Ros is attractive, she's no supermodel.

They've also showed Maester Pycelle almost-kind-sorta naked, as well as a full frontal of Hodor as you said.

If you want to blame someone, blame George R R Martin, as all the naked scenes of Dany were from the book.
So the show isn't showing her naked because of the young attractive actress, it's doing it because the author said so.

goes to show how out of whack our morals are.
The show is full of deceit, murder, decapitations, infidelity, incest etc .... yet the nudity is what people focus on :lol....

goes to show how out of whack our morals are.
The show is full of deceit, murder, decapitations, infidelity, incest etc .... yet the nudity is what people focus on :lol....
Was thinking about this earlier. There are people who will cheer for a man who pushes little boys off of ledges all while banging his own sister, but showing some boobs every now and then is a sin against the holy lord. :rotfl

Was thinking about this earlier. There are people who will cheer for a man who pushes little boys off of ledges all while banging his own sister, but showing some boobs every now and then is a sin against the holy lord. :rotfl

Yeah that's all very ironic! :goodpost:

Honestly, if the complainers would sit down and read some World History, you will realize that the pre and post-Rome eras leading right up to "Modern Civilization" have been EXTREMELY brutal. A boy being pushed off a tower and a guy being tortured and castrated have happened a bazillion times throughout history but modern "political correctness" always seeks out discussing things like this as "wrong" and they concentrate on the "easy attack" like nudity.

Wake up. If you don't like it, change the channel.

I for one give an edge to Game of Thrones for its character development because in the old world. THAT'S HOW IT WAS! Family was killing Family. Innocents were slaughtered. The supposed moral religious groups were corrupt and so our own history in itself was a GAME OF THRONES. Whoever controlled the money, the power, the army, the food, etc. was always a target because there were always people striving for it....even at their own doorstep.

Most of the naked women you see are working in whore houses though. There aren't going to be any 50-60 year olds working as prostitutes.

Some of the whores haven't been very attractive. Like the one Theon was with (I believe) while on his way to request assistance from his father for Robb. And while I think the actress who played Ros is attractive, she's no supermodel.

They've also showed Maester Pycelle almost-kind-sorta naked, as well as a full frontal of Hodor as you said.

That was the ship captain's daughter. I though she was ai'ght besides the teeth.

Back