Game of Thrones vs. The Lord of the Rings

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Game of Thrones vs. The Lord of the Rings

• Total voters
I don't want to pay, nor watch on a computer. I like watching things on my couch. :D

Computer chairs aren't as comfy.

Do you have a laptop? I just hooked mine to my TV to watch the 3rd season.

And how do you expect to watch the show for free? Borrow the seasons from someone?

You should just save and buy the seasons used or something, because it is a great show, and worth owning.

Just get HBO, if you really claim to love movies and tv as much as you do then support them and don't be a cheap ****.

All of my dumbass friends are like, oh I got Game of Thrones don't worry the quality is fine, then they put on a little 12" laptop in 480 and you can't tell the Hound apart from Arya and you realise they've never seen the the show in HD.

Just get HBO, if you really claim to love movies and tv as much as you do then support them and don't be a cheap ****.

All of my dumbass friends are like, oh I got Game of Thrones don't worry the quality is fine, then they put on a little 12" laptop in 480 and you can't tell the Hound apart from Arya and you realise they've never seen the the show in HD.

That's why l watched season 3 on agood site, hooked up to my TV and the pic quality was very good.

What you say though is true. That is why l didn't care for the first season of GOT, becuase l watched it on the lap top, not very good quality and couldn't get into it. Then later bought seasons one and two just for the hell of it, because l wanted to watch something new (even though l remember not liking the show much). Once l watched it on Blu Ray with surround sound, l fell in love with it instantly.

Another reason l don't pay for HBO is because you can't pay for just one channel, you have to pay for the channel package, that has like 5 other stations or so that l wont watch. My dad has HBO, i could go there to watch the show, but hate watching one episode then have to wait a week to see the next. I prefer waiting until the season is done, then watching all the episode back to back over a few days.

Im finally on board the GoT bandwagon now. Finished S1.
IMO you cant really compare the 2 against each other. THeyre totally different beasts.
On the average day I would prefer to watch GoT. but I wont deny some days my frosted side will want to watch LOTR..... :monkey1

I'm a big fan of GoT, it's very well done. That being said, in 20 years, no one will care or remember Game of Thrones while Lord of the Rings will still be a classic.

I have HBO. They just don't have all the episodes up. I have everything. Every channel.

I'm a big fan of GoT, it's very well done. That being said, in 20 years, no one will care or remember Game of Thrones while Lord of the Rings will still be a classic.

I completely disagree with you.

It's not just 'Game of Thrones'. It's 'A Song of Ice and Fire', and it's already proved it can last the distance.

Book 1 was published in 1996 and they've been popular since.

GoT is just a different kind of classic. ;)

LotR is a classic.

GoT will likely become a classic.

I can like both and critique both.

I have a blue shirt on.

and brown pants.

Also my shoes are ok, but I need new ones.

That's kind of my thought as well.

We had a staffer at TORn write a long article on this subject.

In search of a better George RR Martin comparison

And i refer you to a couple of comments from that article -

'Well-written article, and I agree with your assessment-comparisons are ultimately rather useless. I find these comparisons disrespectful of Martin, in a way, because he speaks highly of Tolkien and I'm sure he tires of constantly being compared to one of his (many) literary idols. As for the reasons for comparisons, I think there is a rather simple explanation- Tolkien is the best-known fantasy author and the most logical reference point for most mainstream book reviewers.'

'These comparisons irk me only because the two works (LOTR and ASoIaF) have virtually nothing in common other than being works of fantasy. The writing styles are 180 degrees away from each other. The characters bear almost no similarities. One work is mythic, the other gritty. One work is about heroes and villains, the other about shades of grey.'

'Of course he is a fundamentally different writer from Tolkien, but he IS having a Tolkien-like level of impact in modern fiction. At least for me, I have not read an author's work that I have loved so much and has had such an impact on me since Lord of the Rings when I was 8 years old. I believe he is having a similar impact on today's landscape of fiction. His name is becoming as famous as the show he spawned, and as famous as Tolkien and J.K.Rowling.'

LotR is a classic.

GoT will likely become a classic.

I can like both and critique both.

:panic: .. if you're not gonna argue why your 1 side is the right side, then you just need to leave this board. That logical unbiased posting is unwelcome here ..... :gah:

I completely disagree with you.

Which is your right, let's meet back here in 20 years and see how it all turned out. Provided I'm still breathing. :lol

...It's not just 'Game of Thrones'. It's 'A Song of Ice and Fire', and it's already proved it can last the distance.

Book 1 was published in 1996 and they've been popular since.

GoT is just a different kind of classic. ;)

Sure it may be popular but I'm talking about being on the same level as Lord of the Rings both books and movies and I don't think it's there now nor will be in time. But that's not a bad thing, I enjoy both and will continue to enjoy both and they're both very good.

Back