Game of Thrones vs. The Lord of the Rings

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Game of Thrones vs. The Lord of the Rings

• Total voters
Knowing Tolkien was trying to stuff LOTR with references to Christianity, it only makes sense that the human (or human-like) players are frail, and prone to give in to temptation. That's a running theme in Christianity, that people are extremely weak, and need to submit totally to God. I think there is a conflict between absolute good and evil in LOTR, but that good is only hinted at by the protagonists since they are imperfect agents trying to aspire to do the right thing. Same thing could be said of some in GOT, though, as the Starks at the beginning were apparently driven more by a sense of duty and the greater good than anything else. Of course, the agents are weak, and not always very bright, so they often fail.

But it wasn't really luck (or an accident). If Frodo hadn't refused to kill Gollum, he wouldn't have been there to bite off his finger.

There were decisions that were made that come into play of who is there at the end. That is correct. However, it was a sheer misstep that Gollum falls off Sammath Naur and into the lava. Now, in the movie the ending is a bit different where Frodo is more actively involved in Gollum falling off. At least in the book world they did get lucky that Gollum took a bad step when celebrating getting the ring from Frodo.

I can't really pick one or the other as these are completely different in my eyes. LOTR is high fantasy. GoT is more about political intrigue, and real world consequences and machinations. Love them both equally for different reasons.

Hmm tough 1 but we're getting so much more from GOT so i voted for that...although i could live without people having their flobblies cut off and posted to daddy.

I enjoy both for different reasons, but gave GOT the edge. It's simply more my style.

29 to 29, not surprising, what a monstrously close contest.

Has any company announced holding license to 1/6 characters from the series?

Can't choose on what's more epic...lol

But GoT got unabashed nudity...so it's an adult LOTR.

nudity=win

Just finished the first book...I thought it was fantastic even though I knew what was going to happen from watching the series. I'll be starting the second book tonight.

29 to 29, not surprising, what a monstrously close contest.

Has any company announced holding license to 1/6 characters from the series?

Dark Horse have done statues of Jon with Ghost, Tyrion, the Iron Throne, some bookends, a Dany with dragon bust and a White Walker bust.

LotR didn't need sex and nudes to make it a good story.

If you think there's no story you clearly haven't been watching it.

Dark Horse have done statues of Jon with Ghost, Tyrion, the Iron Throne, some bookends, a Dany with dragon bust and a White Walker bust.

If you think there's no story you clearly haven't been watching it.

Is that what I said?

What storyline in GoT revolves around sex and nudity?

For someone who's constantly making sexual innuendos, you sure do seem afraid of it.

Nevermind, you guys are taking it waaaaaaay too seriously. You're reading more into what I said.

And how am I afraid of it? Geez.

I'm out.

The only scene in GOT that I saw in season 1 where the nudity actually might have made sense is the very last one with Kalesi (I forgot how to spell it) in the fire with the dragons. Other than that all of the nudity could have been left out and nothing would have been any different story wise.

Last edited:
Book wise, Lord of the Rings hands down IMO. I haven't watched enough of the GOT shows to formulate a decision. But from what I have watched, LOTR movies hands down thus far.

What exactly are we comparing here books to books or movie to show?

Despite my lifelong love for Tolkien's work, GOT wins in both fields, even the books (the novels are far better and richer than the show, which is excellent allready).

GoT makes LotR look dated by comparison.
For me, it's one of the top three series committed to either film or tv.
Love that show

Back