Futurama returns!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I probably won't get that complete set since I already have all four seasons and the first two movies. I'd jump on it if it were Blu-ray, though.

Hard to believe it's been 10 years already.

I heard about Comedy Central back when they were in talks of making the four movies. The plan was, they were going to split the long movies into half-hour episodes after they were all created and released on DVD, and then aired on Comedy Central in those chunks, which is why the movies have strange paces and are a bit segmented.

But if there are really current talks of 26 brand-new episodes I'm pretty excited.

This better not happen! :mad:

No one was more thrilled than us at the news that Comedy Central was resurrecting Futurama with an order of 26 new episodes, to begin airing in 2010.

But now comes news on Forces of Geek that 20th Century Fox Television, which produces the series, may be considering recasting the voice roles. Say it ain't so!

Here's what the site reported:

According to no less than cast members John DiMaggio [Bender], Phil LaMarr [Hermes] and Maurice LaMarche on their Facebook pages, a casting notice has gone out to replace actors DiMaggio, LaMarche, Billy West [Fry] and Katy Sagal [Leela].
Recast Fry and Leela?? And Bender??
It seems clear that Fox is trying to cut costs for the show by hiring lower-paid voice talent—either that or trying to get a leg up on salary negotiations by sending out recasting notices to scare the current talent into rolling over on pay.

But fans may recall that Fox TV tried to muscle the original Simpsons voice cast in a similar fashion. That didn't go so well, so here's hoping the original Futurama cast remains intact.

https://scifiwire.com/2009/07/futurama-voices-to-be-rec.php

If they re-cast I have no interest. It would also make that "complete series" set more interesting because the cast helped to make the series what it is.

Futurama.gif

OMFG, HOW can you replace Bender..........that's just retarded

I don't see this happening. The casting stuff is legit but there's a good chance that it's just Fox's way of saying "you can be replaced".

The truly awesome thing is that it will backfire and show Fox how truly irreplaceable the cast is and they might even walk away from the whole thing in an even better bargaining position.

Good grief--losing the voice actors will completely kill the show. I can't believe they're moving forward with this.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that the whole thing is political.

Fox wants the actors to think they can be replaced and that Fox will replace them. If this were to work for Fox the obvious ideal for them would be that the actors would come crawling back to them.

Upon first glance that seems like a good strategy but it falls apart almost immediately:

For starters, like "The Simpsons" you have a cast of about 10 people (West, Sagal, Dimaggio, LaMarche, LaMarr, Herman, Tom MacNeille, Welker and Soucie) who do 95% of the voices on the show. The concept of cheaper VO talent falls apart when you have to employ two or three times that many people to do what the original 8 did.

Secondly, you have UNANIMOUS rejection on the part of the audience. I haven't seen one person who is not bothered by the idea of the parts being recast.

and again, this is the kind of thing that Fox didn't think through because the very basic idea makes sense for a few seconds and on one hand you can't really blame them for running with it because there are God knows how many millions of dollars on the line and they are in the business of making money but Fox has to know that this simply won't work.

What Fox needs to realize is that you can pay new people to go stand in front of a microphone and read lines off a script but you can't expect people to grow to love these portrayals and respect the performers behind them for overt 10 years and not notice and/or care, especially not on something like this where the fanbase is pretty savvy.

Take a character like Mickey Mouse or Fred Flintstone that aim wide to a pretty casual audience and few people will object to a voiceover change but to a significant and overwhelming portion of the "Futurama" audience these characters are associated with specific people. They appear at cons, on commentaries etc.

Ultimatelyreplacing these people is within the rights of Fox as the owners of all things "Futurama" but they're going to find that it's impossible in practice. I don't see re-cast "Futurama" episodes making it to the air, what we really need to worry about is Fox knowing "Futurama" can't exist without this cast and pulling the plug because they can't make the dollars and cents add up.

Hopefully it will all work out and the first episode of Season 6 will make light of the situation in the same way they made light of the cancellation at the beginning of the previous season in "Bender's Big Score".

Great to hear it, if Comedy Central had replaced the original cast... well, then they could just bite my shiny metal ass!

Hey...did anyone else notice:

"Futurama also airs internationally in syndication, has produced four bestselling straight-to-DVD movies (later cut into episodes) and an upcoming feature film."

An upcoming feature film?? NICE.

Glad to hear the original cast is coming back. I also heard, and I can try to find the link if somebody wants to see it, that the cast was asking for a 300% salary increase. Maybe that explains why Fox was considering replacement.

Back